Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks and Sparks

(245 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 08-Jan-19 15:39:28

I know that this has probably been mentioned before but.....Went into to large store yesterday and what have they done!, completely lost it, the new products are well, words fail me. When are they going to take notice of their loyal customers I for one have lost that loyalty. I was looking for a pair of trousers. Regular length size 14 DH who is 6ft would have been able to wear some and the quality of the fabric, yuk. Went off to Debenhams and got a great pair, and in the sale. How many more of you feel the same as I do, what can we do?

Fennel Wed 09-Jan-19 09:57:26

I bought a few tops from M&S last winter, one is like yours, Maw in pink. Quite pleased with them
Also a navy showerproof jacket.
Later looked round Tesco and saw almost exact copies, much cheaper. Some were made of inferior material.

henetha Wed 09-Jan-19 09:58:45

I'm still reeling from the closure of my nearest M&S which I used to love. So I went to their big store in Exeter recently and must admit I couldn't find anything I liked. There are still too many tight legged trousers and I could not find a simple pair of dark straight legged trousers or jeans. And I tried on a padded jacket which was much too short and made me look like a Michelin man.

Hellsbelles Wed 09-Jan-19 10:00:50

Chewbacca
Spend them quick ! Vouchers go out of date after two years.

Madmartha Wed 09-Jan-19 10:04:39

They are missing out big time from baby boomers like me who love stylish clothes and have the money to buy them. Whenever I see anything remotely worth a second look there is NEVER a size 12 on the rail - order more if it’s such a popular size! The frequent sea of sale rails says it all. We have the newish 2nd largest M&S in the country nearby and it’s been a huge disappointment since day one, drab clothes and dated shoes.

Harris27 Wed 09-Jan-19 10:06:52

Sadly their new stock isn't me they aren't listening they will rue losing us.

Elie Wed 09-Jan-19 10:16:04

I love M & S knickers and bras but not much else. Always bought my sweaters and trousers there, but find he trousers just don't fit properly and the sweaters are all short - I love those that cover my hips as I wear them with trousers not skirts. I now buy most of my sweaters and trousers from TU - really good quality.

Schoey Wed 09-Jan-19 10:16:36

Well I still love MS clothes, underwear and food

Fishpieplease Wed 09-Jan-19 10:21:09

I’d always regarded MandS’s beauty and makeup ranges as over priced,even though I’d never tried many of the brands stocked! However,after having had the Advent calendar for the past 2 years,I’ve been really impressed with some products,especially hair products like Philip Kingsley and This Works. Even better when they’re included in 20% off offer.

Bush Wed 09-Jan-19 10:31:05

May I buck the trend in regards to M&S food. I feel it’s just posh processed food. Might be a little bit better tasting than some cheaper brands, but still highly processed.

I myself am a make from scratch person though and imho nothing tastes as good as home made.

As for their clothes. People have generally covered it. The price point might be appealing but the quality of the fabrics and the cut of the clothes is dire.

One example is:- I used to love their jeans, most ranges including Autograph. Last few pairs (won’t be buying again) it appears the front leg panels are all cut the same size and the sizing goes up or down with the cut of the back leg panel. This means on jeans sizes 12 and above the side seams are slightly placed towards the front rather than down the sides, which affects your silhouette. This is a production cost cutting measure. I’d rather pay a bit more and have correctly sized/fitting/cut jeans.

I was a long standing customer of nearly 40 years loyalty. I havnt always been able to afford shopping there, but I felt indulgent and privileged when I could.

Now I have more disposable income I’m finding the appeal to shop there is gone and I no longer shop at M&S for anything. Boden & Hobbs all the way now for clothes. Food from butchers, fishmongers, bakers and fruit & veg markets.

Miep1 Wed 09-Jan-19 10:40:00

Henetha + you must live somewhere near me!

Jean66 Wed 09-Jan-19 10:44:44

Yes, I agree, I think they are so desperate to sell to young people they forget we've been loyal customers all these years. But what they don't realize is their fashion just isn't young and anyway they are too expensive for them.

Margs Wed 09-Jan-19 10:46:11

Quality-wise I'm afraid M&S have hit rock bottom. And they give anyone over 40 the "choice" of either being the late Queen Mother or a colour-blind tart.

This will be the next chain to go down the High Street drain......

JessK Wed 09-Jan-19 10:47:57

I popped into my local M&S yesterday as I had some time to kill. Well it looked more like TK Maxx with clothes piled everywhere. I made a hasty retreat...
The only thing I buy there now is underwear which is still a reasonable standard.
I used to love the days when they had counters and all the jumpers were carefully placed and you could find what you wanted.

PennyWhistle Wed 09-Jan-19 10:48:37

I have bought my jeans and trousers from M&S for years - because their 16 Long fit like a dream and long meant long (33 inch inside leg). I have tended to purchase about 6 pairs of classic navy/black trousers every two to three years to wear to work with jeans for weekends, walking etc. The last lot of trousers are wearing out already and going mis-shapen (I sit at a desk) and the jeans don't cover my waist (I am too old to wear hipsters now!) Where else do I go to get well-fitting, good-quality trousers???

Rosieroe Wed 09-Jan-19 10:50:48

I’m at a loss to know where to get trousers nowadays. M&S seem to be designing for the Kardashians there is so much spare fabric round the hips. ☹️

knspol Wed 09-Jan-19 10:57:05

M&S trousers used to be good but now sides are like jodhpurs and the lengths vary so much. Recently tried on 'regular' pair that was too long and 'long' pair that fitted. Didn't actually buy either as the sides were twisted which meant the seams were all over the place.

anti Wed 09-Jan-19 11:03:11

Yes, M&S have lost it along the way. Sad, as I always liked to go shopping there for my children's underwear when they were little, not so for my grandchildren it seems! But fashion there is now awful, who is their buyer?
Still like their food department though, but don't start me on their coffee shopconfused tables never seem to be cleared and cleaned and yet there always seems to be numerous staff behind the counter chatting! I have written to the store's manager before and H/O but no reply, think it says it all!

Rosina Wed 09-Jan-19 11:08:16

Their sizing is hilarious - like others here I have M and S clothes in two or three different sizes. I was given some vouchers a few months back and couldn't find a single thing to buy, so I spent it in the food hall - which is wonderful. My one purchase this year has been a coat, which was well made, beautifully lined, reasonably priced and had a matching skirt. I do despair of their clothing - the fabrics are usually awful, and they seem to be trying to encourage a revival of nylon for various tops and blouses - yuk yuk yuk.

Nonnatimesfour Wed 09-Jan-19 11:26:20

I've been disappointed with Marks and Spencers for some years, they always want to appeal to the young, but most youngsters don't really want to be associated with M & S.
Yes you can count on Debenhams for better quality.

4allweknow Wed 09-Jan-19 11:27:19

Agree, M&S has certainly gone downhill over the last few years. Quality is rubbish, styling now idea who is it supposed to suit, and colours, who suits mustard, bright purple and orangey pink. The tops are either at your knees or up at the waist and trousers if any sort, well take your pick of 4 or 5 pairs in same size and style and they are all different. Too expensive and too exhausting to shop there any longer. Local branch is closing in a couple of months. Don't think it will be missed.

hereshoping Wed 09-Jan-19 11:36:53

On the rare occasions that I go into town, I don't bother to go into M & S anymore, expensive tat.

TheOldDear Wed 09-Jan-19 11:39:33

Old habits die hard. I’ve always bought my trousers and jeans from M&S – originally because I knew exactly what size and stated inside-leg length fitted me. They long ago dispensed with logic, helpfulness and especially quality control, yet here I still am, spending far too much time toing and froing to my local M&S Food shops to pick up and nearly always return items. M&S give the impression of regarding their long-term customers with contempt. Not only do they use meaningless made-up terms, but they fail to explain them anywhere: ankle grazers? roma rise? peg trousers? Oh please… And some product descriptions don't even pay us the courtesy of telling us what a garment is made of. They seem to think "other materials" is all we need to know. It's a disgrace, let's face it. Time some journalist picked up on this and shook them out of their complacency.

K9KTK Wed 09-Jan-19 11:59:47

I agree with most of your comments about M&S women's clothes but their range of men's clothes is excellent. My OH, who is fussy (I say he's vain) loves their clothes.
I'm glad someone has mentioned the cafe. I've stopped going there. The tables are not cleared or clean and the coffee, which used to be the best in town, is like dishwater.
I wonder if anyone from M&S reads what we are saying, or if they care.

Aepgirl Wed 09-Jan-19 12:02:15

I bought 2 pairs of M&S trousers, same style, different co,ours. When I tried them on at home, one pair was too large and the other too small - yet both had the same size on the label. They both sent back to the store. Hopeless.

Be careful your vouchers don’t expire, Chewbacca!

Alexa Wed 09-Jan-19 12:10:16

I agree with Liz and Joy, M and S trousers are baggy at the thighs. I noticed this years ago and stopped buying M and S jeans for that reason.