Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marks and Sparks

(245 Posts)
Hildagard Tue 08-Jan-19 15:39:28

I know that this has probably been mentioned before but.....Went into to large store yesterday and what have they done!, completely lost it, the new products are well, words fail me. When are they going to take notice of their loyal customers I for one have lost that loyalty. I was looking for a pair of trousers. Regular length size 14 DH who is 6ft would have been able to wear some and the quality of the fabric, yuk. Went off to Debenhams and got a great pair, and in the sale. How many more of you feel the same as I do, what can we do?

annep Thu 24-Jan-19 20:17:14

Well done Aggie. Some great bargains. I had a look today. almost bought a buttoned cardigan but it was very short. Bought a longline cardigan in Next- cream speckled colours, cotton mix. I have the sweater and it washes well. Also got a bargain sweater £6. again cotton acrylic good mix. and brushed cotton pj trousers £10 both Matalan. and a dress coat Debenhams Colection new in, terracotta, lined big patch pockets. great price. Watch out Marks. You may be losing a loyal customer. (I do like their jeans though.)

lilypollen Fri 25-Jan-19 17:45:43

annep I used to only buy their jeans. Good quality, washed, made in Egypt or Turkey. Now they're from other places, presumably to reduce costs and quality is poor I find.

lilypollen Fri 25-Jan-19 17:46:26

Should say washed well!

Deedaa Fri 25-Jan-19 23:01:59

Last time I was in Marks I enquired about the Curve range and was told it had been discontinued because it hadn't been well received. As most of the styles seemed pretty unflattering I wasn't surprised. I had tried on their trench coat and it was just a long tube with a belt, no styling at all

SparklyGrandma Fri 25-Jan-19 23:12:11

A shame about the Curve range, for instance, they did a classic black dress, high neck, 3/4 sleeves, £55, the kind you could wear anywhere EXCEPT they put a slash on one side at the front which ruined it.

Awful.

annep Fri 25-Jan-19 23:36:54

* Lilypollen* I like their jeans but they arent as well made as they used to be I must admit. I just can't find better in short length.

Witzend Sat 26-Jan-19 08:02:06

They've always been prone to adding fussy 'bits' to things that would have been far better without.
A few yrs ago in a tiny independent shop in the US I bought a lovely summer jacket - plain, unlined linen in a deep pink - with nice buttons! And it washes beautifully. It was made in the US, $70.

And I thought at the time, why on earth, with their economies of scale (so able to do more cheaply) don't M&S do plain but stylish basics like this, in some 'good' and zingy colours? But sadly I'm sure they'd manage to mess it up - colours would be not quite right, and they'd have to add fussy 'bits' and very likely horrible buttons, too.

My mother, who was very style conscious and had a good office job at M&S London HQ before she married, was offered the chance to train as one of their buyers. She always regretted turning the offer down - I dare say she'd be turning in her grave if she could see what their buyers are doing now.

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 08:53:37

Well I've had a revelation! I gave M&S one last chance to provide good quality comfortable pants. The last few batches have been very disappointing. (Why is that like light bulbs, underwear 'goes' all at the same time?!). Anyway I bought 3 pairs on a special offer and couldn't be more pleased!! I'm so happy with them that I feel like wearing them outside my trousers (don't worry I won't).

Marydoll Sat 26-Jan-19 08:55:43

Buy some more Jane ASAP, because you will probably never see the likes again!

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 08:58:03

I'm going back this morning Marydoll!

1inamillion Sat 26-Jan-19 09:13:05

What happened to the lovely lambswool ladies jumpers?
Now all their knitwear just bobbles, especially if you are bigger busted like me, the lambswool never did though.

No one ever replies when you ask such questions on their website.

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 12:54:07

they'd have to add fussy 'bits'
Yes, too many fussy bits

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 12:54:12

I just went back to buy more giant comfy pants and on the way through I saw literally dozens of really nice clothes. Dresses, blouses, coats, shoes and handbags all of which I'd happily have worn. I'd have taken photos but my phone is refusing to upload any more.
Re lambswool: I used to love their fine merino wool jumpers but can understand that they are now very expensive. I looked for them in a good catalogue and they started at £49.50-£60. I'm not sure if the average M&S shopper would be too keen on that.
As someone up the thread said, a lot depends on individual branches. I think we must have a good manager/range selector in our local branch. I'm still a fan!

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 12:55:03

and glitter

I don't want glitter except perhaps once a year

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 12:56:52

I found that nothing co-ordinates or matches - you can pick an item eg trousers, a skirt, up and walk around looking for a co-ordinating top but can't find one.

Lazigirl Sat 26-Jan-19 16:49:03

I bought a lambswool jumper from Marks before Christmas, wore it twice, and now it looks bobbled and scruffy. I do not think it is just M&S jumpers that wear like this. I have tried other more expensive, ie Jigsaw, and they are similar. I actually would be happy to pay £60 or more for a jumper if it lasted longer than two wearings. I agree they didn't used to be like this. I think the more expensive Marks jeans and trousers are good quality. However I bought a couple of items from the Classic range for my mother and felt so embarrassed by the style that I felt compelled to tell the assistant that they weren't for me.

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 17:13:52

Jalima get yourself up here. The colour co-ordination is so good in our branch that there are even shoes to match in quite obscure colours. I was just admiring sage green court shoes and thinking how nice they'd go with some of the outfits. The variation between branches is worrying.

Jane10 Sat 26-Jan-19 17:14:38

Nicely! Illiterate mobile.

Deedaa Sat 26-Jan-19 20:16:59

I did give in today and buy the Curve trench coat that I had been rude about. Realised it looked quite smart as long as I didn't button it up! Had a long chat with a lady who agreed with all of us!

Jalima1108 Sat 26-Jan-19 22:08:30

I visited JL Jane10 and at least they had some colour co-ordination in their own brand.

Witzend Sun 27-Jan-19 12:27:35

In their defence for once, I did find a nice enough pair of navy trousers - Per Una I think - last autumn. Needed something for a late October wedding that wasn't jeans! About £45 IIRC - anything of reasonable quality I found elsewhere was at least double.
In the end couldn't go to the wedding since dh was taken ill enough to be admitted to hospital - luckily soon better - but I've worn the trousers a lot since. They wash well and have kept their shape.

Lazigirl Sun 27-Jan-19 14:46:22

I think my point earlier in thread was, we find it easy to moan about M&S but if we want decent quality we have to pay for it. Some items in M&S are good quality and wash and wear well, but you have to be selective. Their decent quality stuff is much cheaper than other more exclusive shops. If you want cheap then M&S has plenty of rubbish too but so do other shops. Perhaps they miss the fashion mark because they are trying to be all things to all people but I do see plenty of their clothes recommended in fashion supplements.

Lynnebo Sun 27-Jan-19 14:53:19

Visiting family, we called into the M&S at Deepdale (Preston) yesterday and it was a delight! Loads of beautiful clothes - I could’ve gone crazy but resisted and only bought two cotton nightdresses for an impending hosital stay.
A staff member was stationed at the cafe entrance only letting you in as a table became free at lunchtime with all the tables being cleaned promptly.
Our local store is bigger but not nearly as attractive.

lilypollen Fri 01-Feb-19 15:18:48

Sorry to resurrect another moan. Got a text "snow days are online shopping days". I need some bedding. Can I get the filters to work? No chance. The same happened with wine couldn't get a country option. I've given up and having a nice cuppa!

Mapleleaf Sun 03-Feb-19 21:35:34

I’m sorry, but why would you buy a trench coat that only looks smart if you don’t button it up?! Surely the idea of them is to stop you getting wet in rainy weather. Kept open, you’d soon be soaked through. Maybe it’s just me....