Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect dog owners to control where their pets pee?

(75 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 12-Jan-19 15:46:45

Ooh sorry but have to rant! Was just washing up, kitchen window faces out front and saw a chap letting his dog roam over my front garden, peeing on it (the dog peeing, not the man!). I popped out and asked him nicely, not to let his dog do that again as my garden isn't a dog toilet.

He marched up the drive, and told me to tell the dog that.

My response " you're responsible for controlling your dog".

His response "you need to grow up" .

My response "you need to take responsibility for your dog's behaviour ".

I shut the door then as I felt he was belligerent and didn't want him taking a swing at me.

I should add our garden is open plan, as our estate planning didn't allow otherwise, and the dog wash on a lead so the owner could have done more to control it. (It was actually a really nice 'smiley' labrador which under different circumstances I'd have loved to pat).

I'm not a dog hater: for years we had dogs but work and other commitments didn't allow for us to have more when the last one passed away (and I still miss her). However I would never allow my dogs to foul other people's property: they were always put out in my back garden to do their 'big' business before being taken out for walks for recreational purposes and NOT allowed to pee in other people's gardens on the way!

Grrrr!!!

Sorry for the rant but he was SO rude and clearly felt he had the right to let his dog do that!

Maybe I should keep a bucket of water handy but would be tempted to chuck it over the owner, not the dog.....

Eloethan Sun 13-Jan-19 00:23:51

Oh for heaven's sake, it's getting ridiculous if someone complains about a dog peeing on their garden wall. I wouldn't let my dog go in someone's front garden though.

You are lucky if this is the only sort of thing you have to worry about.

Juggernaut Sun 13-Jan-19 10:35:37

hotmt
Does being so rude to people make you happy? Or are you just generally unpleasant?

Annaram1 Sun 13-Jan-19 10:42:25

To those with open plan gardens: if I had one I would plant holly and other prickly plants along the boundaries. A dog will soon learn not to water them.

DotMH1901 Sun 13-Jan-19 10:42:33

The point is - had the OP had a garden that was fenced and gated would it be acceptable for the dog owner to open the gate and let his pet pee wherever it wanted? No, of course not, and open plan gardens should be regarded the same, they are not 'community spaces' but private property.

NanaandGrampy Sun 13-Jan-19 10:46:30

I do have to say , in our previous home we had far more trouble with cats pooing in the garden etc than any dogs weeing.

Nonnie Sun 13-Jan-19 10:55:25

I read that chili flakes deter squirrels, perhaps they deter dogs as well. It wouldn't take long to put the dog off coming anywhere near your garden.

The reason we take our shoes off when coming in the house is because we can never know what may be on the bottom of our shoes, not because we are houseproud.

geera Sun 13-Jan-19 10:58:52

How times have changed! 60 years ago my family lived in a house on a main road with a gate at the pavement. Most mornings a man would walk his dog, allowing it to poo close to our gate. My father, 6'6" tall and imposing, watched until he saw the chap stop by our gate. He then strode down the path and addressed the man thus "If you let your dog do that again, I'm going to rub YOUR nose in it!" Safe to say, he henceforward, would drag the poor creature along the pavement past our gate. I daresay, these days Dad would have faced a conviction for threats, but it worked.

Craftycat Sun 13-Jan-19 11:04:47

NO No No! As a dog owner that is totally unacceptable.
Cats are a different matter as they roam freely & cannot be controlled but a dog should be well trained & on a lead at all times near a road. If they are on a lead ( I know this one was) then it is very easy to ensure they don't foul anyone's property. Mine were taught to pee in the gutter if we were on our way to the common but they rarely did & waited until we got to the place where they could run free safely.

Urmstongran Sun 13-Jan-19 11:05:04

Dogs have nails, not claws (that’s cats) and dogs have hair, not fur (cats again). ? ?

Grampie Sun 13-Jan-19 11:06:06

May I suggest dog-proof fencing?

How do I stop our neighbours’ cats doing their business in our garden?

...before stalking our bird feeders??

GrannyIris5 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:14:09

As a 2 dog owner it’s unacceptable behaviour whether your front garden is open plan or not. This man is obviously a complete k...

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 13-Jan-19 11:18:25

Thanks for letting me rant and the general agreement! I also have to deal on occasions with 'parcels' on the front garden, maybe from the same dog? It's not the dog(s) I have issues with, they're just doing what is normal for them, it's the attitude of this owner which got me fired up. There is in fact a lamp post at the front of our house on the other side of the garden which I accept is unavoidably a dog urinal (and the grass round it is disgusting). On this occasion this dog was right up at the front of the house, on a long lead held by the owner, peeing on plants in a border under the front window. One dog peeing will lead to others marking their scent on top and inevitably that will kill whatever's planted there, and smell when I want to open the windows.

I also have to deal with cat mess- that's the back garden but unfortunately cats aren't generally put on leads or cat owners accountable for their little dears' behaviour so more difficult to challenge.

We used to have a pair of Dobermen so maybe I should consider getting another one and let my dog do the challenging! Only joking!

Caro57 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:22:41

There might also be a trespass issue here - it was your land!

Anja Sun 13-Jan-19 11:23:34

All responsible dog owner hate these idiots who let the side down. Not only that but they give fuel to the growing band of dog-haters.

He’s been warned off so hopefully it won’t happeb again.

mabon1 Sun 13-Jan-19 11:27:12

I was under the impression that a dog should be on a lead where there is street lighting. I am a dog owner, this morning I was walking in the designated area of our local park and adjacent woodland, two women had their dogs off the leads on THE TENNIS COURTSwhere they allowed them to pee and foul!!!

Gelisajams Sun 13-Jan-19 11:27:23

My DH was gardening the strip of land behind our hedge which forms part of a public right of way. A dog on a lead cocked it’s leg up the pile of gardening tools. My DH shouted “Hey get off” at the dog. At which point the owner quite aggressively said “what’s up with you, it’s only a bit of pee!” “Yes but I don’t want it all over my tools”
Just a bit of consideration for other people goes a long way.

Lewie Sun 13-Jan-19 11:37:27

Just take a photo of him and his dog if it happens again and email it with your written complaint to the local authority. I doubt he’ll do it again.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 11:54:41

As a cat person (no cats now sad) I did train my kittens to use a particular space in the garden. It was not that difficult. Just moved the litter tray to the spot , left it there for a while, removed tray but left a few litter granules on the soil for a further week or so. After that they would always use that space behind a shrub for a poop! Peeing was more random but they were used to digging/covering ..I ofen saw them doing that! What I dfind annoying with cats that use my garden is they don't attempt to bury! Bad training or possibly kittens taken from mother cat too soon.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 13-Jan-19 12:04:05

Growing old graciously
If you have your dog on a lead then you are responsible for that dog and where it goes to pee . If a dog is unleashed that does not mean the owner is not in control of that dog. A responsible owner will have trained its dog to obey its owners commands and the owner could have called its dog to 'heel' while walking in an unfenced area. You clearly had the experience of an 'ejit' with a dog and that sort believe they can do as they wish. In your circumstances of an unfenced property why not try using a repellent, there are many on the market, that does not harm an animal but will deter a dog or cat from invading your property.

FlorenceFlower Sun 13-Jan-19 12:16:32

I can only apologise on behalf of other dog owners. Our male dog, a rescue, is always on a lead when we go out along roads and I never let him wander into peoples gardens or onto their drives. He pees and poos where he should, it’s not been difficult to train him. He loves being in the park, running, playing, etc, and we follow the park guidelines about short leads in certain areas, etc.

Some dog owners are inconsiderate about their dogs, and also just dump pooh bags in odd places!

All that is needed is some consideration and thinking how others might feel in any given situation ?

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 12:22:38

Well said Florence though do not think you should be apologising for fools!

Our local parks and even commons' car parks have plenty of bins for the disposal of doggy poo bags. I am at a loss to understand the minds of the people who throw full dog poo bags into hedges and trees! confused Good job most dog owners are lovely!

Fennel Sun 13-Jan-19 12:43:16

I agree with the poster who said it was difficult to train a male dog where to pee and where not to pee. (That is the question smile.)
It's dominance, they sniff out where another dog has peed and cover it with their own scent.
But to the OP - he was a very rude man.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone - I saw a film about a man camping out in the wilds, and the wolves came around his tent. So he peed in various places around his own 'territory' and the wolves stayed away. I think it has to be male urine though.

Willow10 Sun 13-Jan-19 13:13:20

Fennel - I now have a vision of all OP's male relatives/visitors being asked to use the front lawn instead of the bathroom! grin

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 13:19:16

Willow I think that is used as a deterrent in many gardens to try to deter wild life!

Willow10 Sun 13-Jan-19 13:36:46

Really? Please don't tell my creepy neighbour!