Gransnet forums

AIBU

Things that annoy me

(149 Posts)
Cindersdad Tue 05-Feb-19 14:39:09

There are many things that infuriate me so may be I'm just an impatient so and so. I'll just tell you of one of many for now.

In a queue at the supermarket the cashier has rung in the items for the customer ahead of me and has to wait for the customer to pack all the items before said customer fumbles for his/her card/cash holding up those behind them. They should have the card/cash ready much sooner allowing the cashier to get on with serving the next customer.

GoldenAge Wed 06-Feb-19 11:01:02

Hey Cindersdad - I really hope you don't fall prey to dementia as you get older as you'll be the one holding up the person behind you and you might get a sense of how it feels when someone is irritated with you for something you can't help! Chill out for heaven's sake - it's a few minutes longer in a supermarket queue not a typhoid epidemic. There are millions of people with mental health problems that are invisible, and that cause an inability to think logically as you or I.

Kim19 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:01:11

Reading this has me realising I've become complacent. I must tell my children!

mabon1 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:05:14

Oh, for goodness sake get over it. You are very lucky if this is so important you feel you need to spend time moaning about it - get a life!!

knspol Wed 06-Feb-19 11:05:16

Woman in front of me at the checkout yesterday was on her phone. Assistant and rest of queue had to wait until she finished call, packed bag, looked for purse and paid. Now that annoyed me!!!

bikergran Wed 06-Feb-19 11:19:28

Sorry another little story that has taught me a lesson.

Many months ago had lady through my checkout, her phone rang midway and she answered it, I must admit I was little annoyed as was the next customer, the conversation went on for few mins, the lady kept saying "ok ok" right etc, I in the meantime stopped doing what I was doing and yes was still annoyed.The lady then said sorry about that and I have to dash my ?????? has deteriorated and I have to dash to the hospital.

So she had! to take the phone call.

Since then I have been more sympathetic, but then yes! you do get the ones that are onto their mates talking about their night out etc etc .

When I ask would they like a bag? I am completely ignore hence I just stop what I.m doing and wait.

Schoey Wed 06-Feb-19 11:21:33

I would refer you all to the thread “ a moment of pleasure “ ( slightly tongue in cheek) you all have a great day now

Sue162 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:22:43

I admit to having an impatient nature but I do understand that not everyone can or wants to speed through the checkout. That's why I use the scanner - I love it, pack as you go and easy final checkout. What's not to like? grin

Nannylynn63 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:25:31

Please be patient. I may appear ok but the supermarket checkout is my nightmare. It takes me ages. I have Parkinson's.

Jaycee5 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:35:07

What annoys me more is that cashiers seems to time their processing with some attention to the speed that I can pack. They all now seem to have time and motion orders to put things through within a certain time which mean that I feel harrassed. I am not the slowest person in the world but I can't go as fast as I would like now and it just feels rude.

Jaycee5 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:35:46

That has come out a bit garbled.
I meant that they used to time their processing ...

inishowen Wed 06-Feb-19 11:36:03

My pet hate is people who stand in the middle of the aisle to chat to friends. Usually they have two trollies to add to the traffic jam. My own husband is guilty of supermarket chatting. I stand by and notice the looks others shoppers are giving him. I try to steer him closer to the shelves, then someone will come along and want something from that particular shelf! As for people taking too long to pack and pay, I have no issue with that. You need two hands to do the packing then you get your card or cash out of your bag. That takes seconds.

Aepgirl Wed 06-Feb-19 11:54:03

I became silently (thankfully) impatient the other day when a lady in front of me fiddled around for ages, packing and re-packing, eventually getting her purse out, and paying with coins as if she had raided a child’s money box. It wasn’t until she moved away that I saw that she was blind. How glad I am that I didn’t say anything, or ‘snort’.

NannyG123 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:54:12

Mine is they've been waiting at a bus stop for a while, then when they get on bus, start rummaging in their bag for their travel card oyster card etc.its not difficult having card accessible before getting on bus..

grandtanteJE65 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:55:16

I always pay for my goods before I start packing them. In many supermarkets you can take the buggy through the checkout and pile your goods into it again and pack them at a table if you are putting them into shopping bags.

Some don't have these packing tables, so in them I pack my goods as quickly as I can. If that isn't good enough, the next person will just have to wait. My money is as good as hers, after all.

Megs36 Wed 06-Feb-19 11:57:22

Always try to be ready as I too find this irritating, Wonder how I'll be today though, had a stroke last Thursday and everything is much slower at present.

Nanny41 Wed 06-Feb-19 12:02:29

My Husband after shopping yestertday remarked how MEN are so unorganised at the cash out, he said they fumble around to get their wallet first, then try to get the card out, then in with that, and wonder if they have the right code,I replied we women are more organised, we do all this while waiting in the queue,we also we pack quickly and efficiently, even get help with packing in some stores, so no problem.I was pleased it was my Husband complaining, not me!

pydora Wed 06-Feb-19 12:03:12

My driving instructor always told me faffers and the indecisive tended to be the most dangerous drivers on the road. He used to tell me off if I was driving at 20mph in a 30mph mile zone. "Awareness, awareness!" he used to bark.

30 is a limit - not a target !!

Nannylovesshopping Wed 06-Feb-19 12:07:24

Megs36 hope you make a good recovery
after your stroke ?

Nanny41 Wed 06-Feb-19 12:19:42

Must say where I shop when in the UK, its ASDA in Kendal,they are super people at the cash out they are all friendly and exchange a word or two, help with packing after asking if help is needed.One day I was behind a slow person who had lots of shopping, I was heading for the next bus which only runs every half hour,I mentioned this when it was my turn, the lady at the cash out was so helpful, she checked out my things quickly, then packed for me, it took just a few minute,then I managed to catch my bus,well done everyone at ASDA.

glammagran Wed 06-Feb-19 12:53:26

My least favourite shoppers are those who produce a handful of money off vouchers and then find most of them are out of date and even argue about it. Sainsbury’s used to churn them out by the dozen.

Winniewit Wed 06-Feb-19 12:59:58

The bit that annoys me is the couples who havent seen each other for ages and stand in the middle of the aisle having a catch up. And those that step out of the lift door or off the escalator and just stand there looking round, blocking everyone behind them. Best laugh was one Christmas in M&S Two old ladies fighting over a turkey and then a woman threw her Christmas cake onto the floor because the customer in front was taking too long

Dana6789 Wed 06-Feb-19 13:04:26

Last week in a local version of a big supermarket, so only 2 tills, I waited patiently while the woman in front of me - on her mobile the whole transaction- handed the cashier a handful of small change
The poor girl counted through it twice then told the lady that it was 1p short. She had to say this 3 x before the mobile phone lady registered she was talking to her. She then scrabbled about in her purse- still on phone- but couldn't find a penny so handed over ten pounds note and the girl handed back her loose money which she then dropped all over the checkout. I would have given her the penny to get rid of her if I had one. The cashier and I commiserated with each other over the rudeness of some people !!!

willa45 Wed 06-Feb-19 13:12:01

It's one thing to wait an extra 20 seconds, but what about the customer who starts squabbling over a price? That's when the cashier stops altogether (and the entire queue is fuming), while another employee disappears into the store to get a price check (Grrrr).

grannyticktock Wed 06-Feb-19 13:15:10

I try to be the sort of shopper you'd like to be behind in a queue: I have my card(s) ready in a neck-purse or in my pocket, and I kind of multi-task by interrupting my packing to put my card in the machine, pack a bit more, retrieve card, etc. If I want to rearrange my trolley or pack more neatly, I pay first, then pull aside to sort it out.

I know it's only a little thing, but people in a queue are sometimes stressed and rushed, and it just seems selfish to me when certain customers take great care to get everything back in the trolley, neatly packed and sorted, before beginning to hunt for their purse and find their card to pay. Even worse is when it's a couple, and neither of them is ready to pay until they've both sorted the packing to their satisfaction!

Most supermarkets will provide a member of staff to help pack if you are struggling. I did this a few times when I had back problems, and also used their help loading the car.

Only this morning, I asked if the man behind me would like to go in front of me as he only had one item. He shrugged and said he wasn't in a hurry, but it's always worth asking because sometimes people have a bus to catch or children to collect, and a few minutes can mean a lot.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Feb-19 13:27:34

Years ago checkouts had a thing which diverted your shopping to one side.
What happened to them?
That would help me no end.
Nothing worse than trying to get organised when the cashier and next customer are twiddling their thumbs and waiting.