Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want my neighbours to move out?

(125 Posts)
jamsandwich Thu 07-Feb-19 16:32:57

My neighbours moved in 2 years ago and ever since we have been plagued by drama. On the surface they seem like decent enough people, say hello when we bump into them etc. But they have 2 very noisy dogs that bark incessantly whenever they go out. As I'm in most of the day while they're at work this drives me mad. Their relationship is also...a bit rocky. They drink a fair bit - this is their perogative I know but it does make them louder - and fight often, you can hear them through the walls (terraced house). She's dumped all his clothes on the front lawn before when she was supposedly chucking him out. It's all a bit much really. I've tried to keep myself to myself but it's just so hard to avoid. I've spoken to them about the dog noise before and they were very nice and promised to keep it down but there's been no real change. Any advice?

JenniferEccles Fri 08-Feb-19 09:03:14

Are the people buying or renting? If it's the latter you should complain about the barking dogs to the letting agents.

Tenants are in breach of their contract if anything they do causes a nuisance to their neighbours.
This would include the awful barking dogs as well as the drunken noisy fights.

Hopefully the landlord would decide they are not the type of people they want to rent to and would then serve them notice to leave.

If they are buying however, then the council is probably your best bet, as you have already tried talking to the people to no avail.

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 09:59:07

Yes I know that. That’s why I suspect there’s a reason for the barking beyond loneliness!

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 10:03:09

That was to the person who thought I didn’t know there were TWO dogs.

Personally I’d just install good sound proofing.

I used to live next door to a music teacher. She taught piano, flute and violin. You can imagine the din especially the beginners. I had to have a word with her and she installed sound proofing herself.

Not 100% but so much better. Everything gently muffled and if I turned my radio on then could hear nothing at all.

Well worth it I’d suggest.

ReadyMeals Fri 08-Feb-19 10:07:37

If there are two dogs, they are unlikely to be barking due to distress, more like noises they hear and are getting excited by them. If found out next door's home-alone dog tends to whine in response to me having my radio on too loud. If I keep quiet, then so does the dog lol.

Africa Fri 08-Feb-19 10:08:24

It’s not the dogs fault that there’s tension in the house but maybe if you are dog friendly you could offer to take them for walks when the owners are out and even have them for an hour or two if convenient. It’s great exercise for you and wonderful company for the dogs and could even help the tension next door when they know what kind supportive neighbours they have. Just a thought and definitely what I’d do.

4allweknow Fri 08-Feb-19 10:11:22

Local authority should deal with dog noise and the disturbance noise from the couple arguing. What about the neighbour on other side of culprits, would they join in a complaint. Is the property rented, landlord could be involved. Horrible situation.

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 10:12:07

Africa that’s what the old lady who was my neighbour used to do. She didn’t take them for walks but she used to take them into her house for a couple of hours each day.

It was company for her and the dogs were happy too.

Marieeliz Fri 08-Feb-19 10:13:47

I posted on this issue twelve months or so back. Tenant with a dog which is never taken out and alone whilst she is at work.

My house is for sale at the moment. It is worse in the summer as the family all smoke and they leave the rear door open all day, so as soon as I access my garden this dog starts to bark. It is a mid terrace. I also have a dog which does not bark until it hears this one so I have lost use of my garden in the summer.

I am home all day so it only affects me everyone else being out at work. I had an issue with party noise prior to that and I have not spoken to her since that she threw my plant pots in the street.

annodomini Fri 08-Feb-19 10:15:04

It would be very difficult if you wanted to sell your house. Viewers who came to see the property would immediately be put off by the constant barking. So your property is at risk of being devalued by this nuisance.
I wonder if your neighbours have tried leaving a radio on in the house to keep the dogs company. I know some people have found this effective in minimising the barking. As long as the radio isn't loud enough to be a nuisance of course!

harrysgran Fri 08-Feb-19 10:17:02

I really don't understand people who call themselves dog lovers leaving a dog alone all day I would love to have a dog but as I work full-time I'm going to wait until I can retire

gilld69 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:18:42

i have the demon child living next door shes only 5 and for 2 years she has screamed and created and banged every wall and doir in her house, poor mother must be demented . she has no illness like adhd or autism she was prem and has been totally spoilt . my anxiety hits an all time high when she starts and i cant wait for 8.30 every morning when its school time , and dread 3pm as shes home and creates until 10.30 pm , nothing i can say as what child is goung to say oh sorry didnt realise you could hear me . i wish i could sell up and move

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 10:24:20

harrysgran there are two dogs.

blue60 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:25:30

I would tell them that the dogs are still barking all day and that it's becoming a nuisance. Give them an opportunity to try and address the problem, if they don't, then you report the noise to the council giving dates and times.

I had a similar problem with neighbour whose husband died and she bought a dog a while after his death. It barked constantly and in the end I had to speak to her about it. I kept in mind that she was a recent widow, and politely asked if she was aware that it was becoming a nuisance.

The dog continued barking, but she would take it indoors when it decided to have a barking fit. It's a lot better now and she has a second dog which seems to be very quiet (so far!).

maxdecatt Fri 08-Feb-19 10:25:32

Thye cure for a dog next door that barks constantly is to feed it a snack containing a good dose of stong laxative. The barking will stop once the medicine takes effect because to bark a dog must use muscles, in particular the spincter muscle in the backside. The laxative will make that muscle relax, The reult is the dog will mess itself everytime it barks. That will soon teach it not to bark, especially if it does so inside its owners house.

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 10:29:02

Really? ???????

MaggieMay69 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:29:13

EllanVannin it might be that you only hear of the bad sice of relationships because the ones that are happy are too busy being happy and enjoying it to bother writing about it lol.

My grandaughter for example, has been with her husband for nearly 18 years, they have five children, and they are so blissfully happy, they live in a little private bubble, of which I am prvalaged to be a part of. He treats her like she hung the moon, and in return she adores the ground he walks on, they have a love that literally warms my heart, and makes me more than a little jealous.

Anja Fri 08-Feb-19 10:30:45

I think you are talking out of your spincter [sic] muscle

HannahLoisLuke Fri 08-Feb-19 10:31:58

I too wonder why people who work all day get dogs.
I dog sit two border collies for an hour each day and although I can't walk them, they're strong and not well behaved on the lead, I spend an hour throwing toys for them to retrieve in their owners largish garden. Seems to tire them out.
She also has cameras linked to her phone so she can have a look at what they're up to when left to themselves. She also gives them a good walk morning and evening so she's doing her best. As far as I know they don't bark, but are always very happy to see me.

GabriellaG54 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:36:14

Bottom line. Contact the Environmental Health dept at your local Council. They will send forms which you fill in, liked a diary, dates times and what the problem is on those dates.
Some councils (like mine) will send an officer out to give a verbal warning without having to wait 2-4 weeks filling in the 'diary'. In cases where they are evidently fighting and throwing stuff about, ring 101 and tell the operator there is a fracas next door. If there are police in the area they may pay your neighbours a visit.
Whatever happens, keep a cool head although I realise that darks barking incessantly can drive you round the bend.
You could speak to the neighbours and tell them, quite firmly, that if the dogs barking and their fighting continues, you will ring the council to report them and will also ring the police if the shouting and fighting cause you to think that harm may be done (just to cover your back)
Best of luck. shamrock

GabriellaG54 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:38:57

Newatthis

That is incorrect information.
The RSPCA will not attend a report of dogs barking.

GabriellaG54 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:42:17

With you there Urmstongran Selfish owner-itis.

Abigailmckd Fri 08-Feb-19 10:47:16

Jamsandwich
It's upsetting to have neighbours that are noisy esp.if u like quiet.luckily my neighbours are good like that.u could take a walk if they start arguing.keep on a radio in background so noise of dogs aren't loud all day.maybe give your neighbours ideas for amusing their dogs when they're out like toys and biscuit bowls.hope it gets better

Barmeyoldbat Fri 08-Feb-19 10:49:41

Gild69 your post brought back memories of the young boy, age 4, next door to us who use to scream and scream for his mum to come up and wipe his bum after being on the toilet. One day I just had enough, went out into the garden and shouted up to the bathroom window Stop that noise NOW Hxxxx and wipe your own bum. Silence and it never happened again. But that wouldn't work in this case

mabon1 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:51:27

Their relationship is none of your business. Try the RSPCA about the barking. You can inform the Environmental Health Department who can monitor the barking.

GabriellaG54 Fri 08-Feb-19 10:53:40

I can't honestly believe that so many GNers advocate the 'victim' looking for solutions to neighbours dogs barking.
Wow!
Buying some ear- plugs...REALLY?
Offering to walk their dogs? Haha.
Looking through their windows to see what triggers the barking and offering solutions to the owners...unbelievable.
Cut to the chase and ring the council. It matters not whether they're renting or buying, Environmental Services ARE the department to deal with it. I've done it myself and they were visited and sent a warning letter. I never heard a peek after that.