Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want my neighbours to move out?

(125 Posts)
jamsandwich Thu 07-Feb-19 16:32:57

My neighbours moved in 2 years ago and ever since we have been plagued by drama. On the surface they seem like decent enough people, say hello when we bump into them etc. But they have 2 very noisy dogs that bark incessantly whenever they go out. As I'm in most of the day while they're at work this drives me mad. Their relationship is also...a bit rocky. They drink a fair bit - this is their perogative I know but it does make them louder - and fight often, you can hear them through the walls (terraced house). She's dumped all his clothes on the front lawn before when she was supposedly chucking him out. It's all a bit much really. I've tried to keep myself to myself but it's just so hard to avoid. I've spoken to them about the dog noise before and they were very nice and promised to keep it down but there's been no real change. Any advice?

nanny2507 Fri 08-Feb-19 21:05:13

sorry should have said I dont know if they bark while i,m not there as I,m at work..

GabriellaG54 Fri 08-Feb-19 21:12:05

The neighbour's dogs caused the problem, therefore the onus is on the owners to find a satisfactory resolution, not the OP who was/is the unfortunate 'recipient' of the problem/noise.
Why anyone would consider it the OP's problem to solve, is beyond me.

Lily65 Fri 08-Feb-19 21:48:35

It's so mean to leave dogs all day long. Whatever are people thinking when they do this?

cheekychops61 Fri 08-Feb-19 21:57:14

Barking dogs are always going to be a bone of contention especially when it disrupts other people's lives. We suffered for over ten years with our neighbours three barking dogs therefore I'm definitely not a dog lover. People are extremely selfish and need to be more aware of how that constant noise can impact on people's health. Unfortunately many seem to consider the pets more important in this scenario than the people. We have done the discussions with neighbours and even put in expensive soundproofing but all to no avail. The only answer for us was to eventually move into a detached property.

llizzie2 Fri 08-Feb-19 23:35:02

Have you tried those headphones that block out noise? I have not used them myself but understand they can be connected to the TV sound.

Anja Sat 09-Feb-19 07:36:13

Is clearly beyond your level of comprehension GG

PECS Sat 09-Feb-19 09:05:09

Hang on Anja if you are minding your own business and I start poking you in the eye and it is annoying you & you tell me it is annoying should I just go on doing it or should I stop? You can move away of course but really I am in the wrong and need to stop.

ditzyme Sat 09-Feb-19 14:58:04

Perhaps you could record some of the dog noise and let them listen to it, telling them when it started and when it stopped. There is nothing more aggravating than constant dog noise, and you are right that speaking to the council or RSPCA might make the friendly situation with your neighbours turn sour, and really you need to keep them on side. Good luck.

Floradora9 Sat 09-Feb-19 15:44:27

Contact the dog warden or the environmental health. People near us had one complaint and they got a letter saying they might have to give the dogs away if the noise did not stop .
do not just put up with it the dogs are suffering as well .

Sourcerer48 Sat 09-Feb-19 17:56:51

I've just moved house at great expense due to abusive neighbours. Not because of barking dogs, but their alarm which went off every morning at 4.50 right next to my bedroom wall. This used to beep loudly often for over 1/2 hour at a time, even though I wrote a politely worded note saying I'd not been well and sleep was precious etc. which was ignored. For over a year I've received verbal abuse with foul language from the son and his partner. It became a hate crime and the police got involved and gave them a warning. Made no difference as they tried to intimidate me at every opportunity.
I had no peace of mind, was scared they would poison my old dog (who rarely barks), and was afraid in my own home, so made the decision to move.
Bit off the thread I know but needed to share.
No advice to give you Jamsandwich, just hope it gets resolved, nothing worse than bad neighbours!!

GabriellaG54 Sat 09-Feb-19 18:13:39

Yeah...sure Anja
Anything you say Anja
Anything else Anja?
???

Lumarei Sat 09-Feb-19 18:47:24

I am totally with you, GG. The OP has already gone the mediating route and seen no change. How many times should she complain? Most people on this threat can only feel sorry for the dogs rather than the OP urging her to approach the neighbours again, or helping neighbours walking the dog, finding out what causes the barking or installing soundproofing

Since they are drinking and having noisy rows I would not feel safe (especially if I was on my own) to approach them repeatedly.

Urmstongran Sat 09-Feb-19 19:43:26

I can only reply to what you posted nanny2507
You said :

‘...however my neighbours are the best in the world. they know the main culprit is very old’

so your neighbours are definitely aware your older dog barks a lot - whether you are in or not. Fair enough. I’d hate it.

Skweek1 Sat 09-Feb-19 19:57:21

We have nightmare neighbours too - they used to deal drugs and now runing a helium balloon and bouncy castle business. People parking all down the street day and night, endless shouting and sitting in their garden drinking and smoking, loud music till past midnight, chucking fag ends over our fence. They are trying to get all their friends moving in and get rid of those who don't like them. But we just want a quiet life and have no intention of moving after 26 years.

Jaye53 Sat 09-Feb-19 21:35:25

Poor you Scoucerer48.and everyone suffering these nightmare NUICANCE neighbours sad

SparklyGrandma Sat 09-Feb-19 22:07:54

Sourcerer48 sorry you have been through that and hope in your new home you feel safer...

Anja Sun 10-Feb-19 08:06:04

Soucerer so sorry that your neighbours turned out to be bad ones and I hope you are happy in your new home.

Anja Sun 10-Feb-19 08:10:43

Jaye I think Sourcerer had abuse neighbours rather than just nuisance. It’s an important distinction. Nuisance can often resolved if both sides can work together towards a solution. Abusive people will always turn nasty if you complain.

Hard to know who you are dealing with when new neighbours move in.

Grammaretto Sun 10-Feb-19 10:48:32

To Sourcerer and skyweek and all who have had to put up with noisy, thoughtless and abusive neighbours
I add my heartfelt sympathy.
Maybe jamsandwich you too should get away.
I think peace of mind is worth a lot and has a value far higher than cash.

As I've already said, my friend who finally left after being harrassed by her neighbour for years, is happy and relaxed in her new home and has been able to enjoy life again.

michael102 Sun 10-Feb-19 15:51:55

try sound proofing and using wireless headphones.

Anja Sun 10-Feb-19 16:33:28

Michael I suggested soundproofing upthread. Seems eminently sensible,

nanny2507 Sun 10-Feb-19 17:58:14

urmstongran..yes they know because before i bought the house I met with them and explained that this old boy barks. They said they didnt care. I will also text them If i am going to be out late just incase. they always say everything is fine. I am incredibly lucky to have such lovely neighbours

Magrithea Sun 10-Feb-19 19:40:52

As someone else said the council deals with noise pollution whatever the source. The RSPCA would only be involved if the dogs were being mistreated. Could you suggest that the dogs need something to calm them such as leaving the radio on or one of these special diffusers you can get to calm animals left along. It's separation anxiety and isn't fair on the dogs or you!

As for the shouting and fighting and all the other drama, is the property rented or are they owners? If rented you might be able to go to the landlord or agent

Onestepbeyond Tue 05-Mar-19 15:44:13

@jamsandwich

On the dogs front - dogs - as every responsible human on this planet knows - are pack animals
They can be extremely unhappy and depressed and bark incessantly when left alone
Why do people get dogs- for company and pleasure- but not for the company and pleasure of the dog if they aren't with them 24/7 as packs demand brew cupcake

Complain to your local Council barking dogs are a noise nuisance which causes distress all round

On the disturbing neighbours front -
See if you can rally other neighbours as with terraced houses you really are living at close quarters I imagine - so other neighbours must hear the 'drama' too

Call the police every time they argue - to alert them there is a problem if no one knows how you feel how can things change flowers