Gransnet forums

AIBU

Table Manners (or lack of!)

(80 Posts)
Florence64 Thu 07-Feb-19 17:44:30

My father was a stickler for table manners and although it annoyed me intensely to be told to get my elbows off the table as a child I'm so glad it's second nature to me now. I remember my cousin came over from America and his son didn't take off his baseball hat during Sunday lunch. My children were looking daggers at him as they knew they wouldn't be getting away with it! I'm afraid my dear old dad would have 'corrected' your daughter's boyfriend, as he did with his younger colleagues in the staff canteen - "the fork, dear boy, is for eating one's peas, not scratching one's head" was one of his favourites!

Tartlet Thu 07-Feb-19 17:37:12

Nor me. I wouldn’t be too bothered about elbows on the table but I don’t think I could manage to stay at a table with someone eating noisily and displaying the contents of their mouth unless I could neither see or hear them.

I remember being mightily relieved many decades ago when my husband passed his eating test with flying colours. Otherwise he’d never have become my husband.

My maternal grandfather was a horribly noisy eater and I used to dread having to sit through a meal with him.

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Feb-19 17:34:56

Keep making him welcome, don't ever criticise him and he may soon be on his way.
If you do criticise him, your DD may well get defensive and he'll be around for much longer.

smile

EllanVannin Thu 07-Feb-19 16:53:39

Love is blind I'm afraid.
I can't be doing with anyone eating with their mouth open though.

Ngaio1 Thu 07-Feb-19 16:44:04

My daughter's boyfriend came to dinner last evening. His table manners are appalling! Elbows on the table, chewing with mouth open and waving and pointing with his irons! He is a quite well spoken chap and when away from the table, well mannered. She is very fussy and yet didn't seem to notice.