Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think there is only 1 woman

(22 Posts)
Dontaskme Fri 08-Feb-19 16:56:59

Its seems that every time an "older" lady is needed for any kind of advertising the SAME one is used! Sure enough, there she is again when I came on here today, now on something about flying? Not sure, didn't really look tbh. She's on the tele, in magazines, on here - come on, play fair and use a variety of people. AIBU to be sick of the sight of her?

NotTooOld Fri 08-Feb-19 17:01:37

No. I'm sick of the sight of the young woman in the current toothpaste ad - 'I know how to look after my body....' Grr.

phoenix Fri 08-Feb-19 17:53:35

Oh NotTooOld you and me both! And as for saying"I didn't even know Oral B made toothpaste! " So, you go shopping with you eyes closed, do you?I

Sorry, deviating from OP!

lemongrove Fri 08-Feb-19 18:07:20

Is that the slim, tall elegant woman with long grey/white hair?
Getting out of assisted chairs, stair lifts etc?

MissAdventure Fri 08-Feb-19 18:10:41

I think when she's finished prancing around on here, she slips into a pair of Tena knicknocks and goes out with her friends to spend the day laughing a lot.

M0nica Fri 08-Feb-19 18:13:43

The best I saw was her and her male mate standing on the deck of a yacht advertising a block of extra assistance retirement living flatsconfused

EllanVannin Fri 08-Feb-19 18:23:15

She's not that ancient but she's got that many wrinkles she must screw her hat on !

annep1 Fri 08-Feb-19 23:14:53

I'm deviating too. sorry. what annoys me is all the travel programmes that are presented by celebrities. Why not let some of us ordinary folk have the opportunity to visit these amazing places.
And yes I often wonder how she didnt know about Oral B toothpaste.

Jalima1108 Fri 08-Feb-19 23:42:44

It's all the adverts presented or voiced by celebrities that annoy me annep! They definitely don't need the money.

I think 'I don't care if someone famous is advertising your product - give a chance to a young out-of-work actor with a lovely voice'!

Beau Fri 08-Feb-19 23:56:41

I don't know this woman ?
I don't watch tv except Only Connect and maybe Vera -
where else is she?

IreneAdler2 Sat 09-Feb-19 01:04:15

Have you heard the advert that’s always on Classic FM radio station for some kind of over 50s vitamin and mineral supplement?

The voice of the women in the advert really irks me, it sounds like they have chosen someone with what they think is the voice of a little old lady, she sounds like she has a mouth full of apple crumble or her dentures are loose. It really feels patronising and stereotyped.

She says something like ‘it’s got all the vitamins and minerals that we over 50s need’ and then goes on to list them, but she sounds like an advertising executive’s stereotype of an over 90.

It gives me the creeps every morning.

Badenkate Sat 09-Feb-19 09:03:32

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-47172239/niamh-mcgrady-rant-over-ad-for-still-attractive-woman

PECS Sat 09-Feb-19 09:09:34

MissAdventure I did lol at your post! ???

Witzend Sat 09-Feb-19 09:17:29

Oh, yes, IreneAdler - that ad on Classic FM and the doddery-old-dear voice! I have Classic on a lot and so many of the ads drive me mad - I'm forever switching off, or turning the volume right down - often while uttering a very rude expletive!

What also irritates me (just a bit) is that the woman advertising whatever it is for the over 55s on TV/in print, often looks about 46 at the most, but because she's got (beautifully styled) grey/white hair, she's deemed to look fine to flog stuff to the poor old wrinklies.

annep1 Sat 09-Feb-19 11:16:38

Agree Jalima it is greedy. Can't think of another reason celebrities would do ads.

NanKate Sat 09-Feb-19 11:53:25

I hate adverts for wrinkle cream with some model without a crease on her face. ?

Marelli Sat 09-Feb-19 12:17:39

Irene, I think the voice on Classic FM advertising vitamins is Annette Crosbie. ? Sounds very like her.
Oh, and the one about the Tena pants ?.... "I feel 'pratty/prutty'" (not 'pretty'). Maybe she does feel 'pratty'. ?

Witzend Sat 09-Feb-19 12:22:16

Michael Parkinson with that oh-so-cosy voice, selling financial products to the sort of people who'd be worried about how to pay for their funeral, really used to enrage me.

Ditto to any very well paid 'celeb' (I hate that word) being paid even more to flog such things to such people.

However nowadays I record just about everything and zoom through the ads.

Charleygirl5 Sat 09-Feb-19 12:29:38

I hate the add seeing a gnarled old woman using a Zimmer frame and having the most grotesque red nail varnish on.

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 14:38:25

Beau she is everywhere, magazines, newspapers, hoardings, catalogues.

I am amazed she ever finds time to sleep. That or she has been cloned and there are a dozen of her, all identical.

Charlie, why shouldn't a gnarled(!!!!!!!!!!) old woman with a zimmer frame wear red nail varnish? Your comment sounds very ageist.

PECS Sat 09-Feb-19 14:44:06

I think celebs are sought by these companies to front the sales campaigns. They must think it is worth it in increased sales! Much as I respect Annette Cosbie..she is not my personal role model!

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 17:20:32

To be honest, who gives a toss what products some celebrity or another uses. It is like that point of sale nudge you get in shops 'As seen on tv,' so what? Being seen on tv, with or without a celebrity is no guarantee of the effectiveness
or durability of the product.