Gransnet forums

AIBU

Pretentious moi ?

(99 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 12-Feb-19 15:45:37

I was reading a recipe in the Times this morning and could not get over the instructions . You were asked to cook some potatoes , mash them with butter ( melted in milk ) then microplane half of a lemon on top . What planet are they on you make some mash them grate a bit of lemon into it .

Juggernaut Wed 13-Feb-19 19:35:57

loopyloo
'Microplane' is a brand name!
They're graters, but the brand is 'Microplane'!
It's a good thing that graters and planes are different, I'd get a very sore bum flying to New York on a grater! gringringrin

varian Wed 13-Feb-19 19:51:06

Can you beat this for pretentiousness? - from the "paid-for" announcements page in The Times (9th February), submitted by the parents of Cicely, born December 2018;

""Kiki" is likely to develop classical tastes because her parents, both classicists, plan to introduce her to the sites of antiquity. Top of Mummy's list are the three temples at Paestum in Italy. Daddy may teach Kiki debating skills; he is a barrister and met Sian, now a business analyst, on a law conversion course. Being sporty, Sian is introducing Kiki to the ski slopes in March in Klosters, Switzerland. It is hoped that she takes to travel, because in April, Kiki will take her first long-haul trip to visit her Aunt Izzy in Tokyo."

Poor kid.

Beau Wed 13-Feb-19 20:04:27

varian ? no, I really don't think that could ever be beaten for pretentiousness ?

GabriellaG54 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:28:14

Chefs. No apostrophe.
It's amazing that so many insist on putting apostrophes before the letter 's', no matter that it makes no sense.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 20:30:38

I so hope Kiki turns out to enjoy smoking pot, lounging around playing Xbox, and wearing baggy old leggings.

GabriellaG54 Wed 13-Feb-19 20:33:54

Meaningless cheffy chat includes 'reduced down', 'separated out' and 'boiled off', all of which get on my wick. angry

PECS Wed 13-Feb-19 20:55:57

Oh! I reckon the Kiki announcementis a complex underworld message or have I just read too many murder mysteries??
If real..poor Kiki

Enid Blyton had a cockatoo in the Adventure series called Kiki!

Theoddbird Wed 13-Feb-19 21:02:26

Never say something is rubbish until you have tasted it. Just because something doesn't sound right does not mean it will taste awful.

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 21:20:41

Nope. I'm never trying tongue.
I object to tasting something which may well be tasting me back.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:09:21

So if Cicely's named is shortened to Kiki does that mean that they pronounce Cicely "Kickely"?

We had a Cicely in the family, aka Great-Aunt Cissie.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:10:22

I am never going to taste tripe.
Sorry.

not even a tiny piece.

Jalima1108 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:11:47

It is hoped that she takes to travel, because in April, Kiki will take her first long-haul trip to visit her Aunt Izzy in Tokyo."
Oh dear, I do hope poor Cicely aka Kiki does not have travel sickness and vomit over dear Mummy or Daddy all the way there.

GreenGran78 Wed 13-Feb-19 23:33:30

MissAdventure. I offered my husband some tongue. He said, "I'm not eating something that's been in an animal's mouth! I'll have an egg instead!" smile

MissAdventure Wed 13-Feb-19 23:38:46

grin
He's a sensible man, if ever there was one.
There are so many lovely things to eat, why would you eat something's tongue..

OPgrndtr Thu 14-Feb-19 03:01:32

GreenGran78 your post is twice as funny if you knew why my Dad would never eat eggs. " I'm not eating something that came out of a chicken's butt!" LOL

GrandmainOz Thu 14-Feb-19 08:44:42

My daughter complained that when she was taken out to dinner, she was given a decomposed salad?I pointed out that she probably meant "deconstructed" but she replied that her enjoyment level would have been the same either way, plus it was flipping expensive! She certainly can't be accused of being pretentious! smile

jenkins Thu 14-Feb-19 08:47:32

Had an argument with the chef in the café I was working in as to what was in Lancashire Hotpot..no it doesn't have tomato puree or garlic...oh yes it does according to Ramsey and Monsieur Oliver ..thanks for that boys...
would we like some parmesan with it
or lemon?

MissAdventure Thu 14-Feb-19 08:48:33

Or deconstructed tongue?

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 10:14:15

Jenkins
Oh no it doesn't!!
Nor lemon shock Tell them!

Floradora9 Thu 14-Feb-19 15:41:23

I always remember KiKi was the name of the cockatoo in the Famous Five books. I named my budgie after it .

Jalima1108 Thu 14-Feb-19 16:23:15

Oh yes, that's where I'd heard it before.

PernillaVanilla Fri 15-Feb-19 09:39:32

Deconstructed anything never tastes anywhere like as good as constructed - i.e. normal.

toscalily Fri 15-Feb-19 13:12:51

Surely the minute you stick your knife, fork or spoon into the food it becomes deconstructed. I don't like froth and hate food served swimming in gravy or sauce, much prefer it to be served separately so I can add just a small amount.