Gransnet forums

AIBU

Has she gone too far?

(69 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:07:14

Talking to a lady down at the shops. She apparently lives in the street behind me although I didn't know her name before.
She asked me how is your grandson x enjoying his change of school? How did you know about that I asked. Saw it on Facebook she said. Now I feel as if I have been stalked!How can people be so nosy?

kircubbin2000 Fri 01-Mar-19 10:52:50

I was just surprised that she even knew who I was as I have not lived here long and know very few local people. I agree she was just being friendly.?

Ngaio1 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:00:44

Nosiness isn't confined to the net. My neighbour is incredibly nosy - she saw a bag of padded envelopes in my carport (they were given to me) and asked why they were there "because they don't have your name and address on them"!! A real curtain twitcher - has been known to walk up the road carrying binoculars - not an ornithologist.

B9exchange Fri 01-Mar-19 11:03:12

Actually I would be a bit taken aback too. The OP doesn't post anything personal on Facebook, so please don't have a go at her.

It appears that the neighbour has somehow got access to her DD's Facebook account, which seems odd, and perhaps the OP might like to mention privacy settings to DD? Not sure why the neighbour would be searching Facebook for details about your family?

Aepgirl Fri 01-Mar-19 11:18:17

If you post on Facebook it’s there for all to see. What’s your problem?

Jayelld Fri 01-Mar-19 11:26:03

LittleAnnie I use fb to keep up to date on local news, follow a few hobby sites and to keep in touch with family and friend in Australia, America and various other countries. I rarely post personal information or photos and guard my privacy.
Like all technology it needs to be used with care but it can be a very useful communication tool.
As to th original op if your daughter posts something, she is obviously comfortable with other people knowing. I must admit it comes as a shock when complete strangers comment on things you think are family related but that's the nature of social media. I would personally mention it to your daughter, in a jokey sort of way and see what her reaction is, maybe mention in that you found it unsettling.

Cassiecat2 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:33:52

A very similar situation happened to me and i did have my page set to private how they got in i will never know, but it's them that do things while you get in trouble for them

Beejo Fri 01-Mar-19 11:36:22

This is one of the many down sides of social media.
Having said that, nearly 40 years ago, when we lived in a small Yorkshire town, our postwoman handed me a letter and said "that will be the date for your son to start school".
Coming from a city, I thought that was very intrusive but, really, just small town life and I had to get used to it, just like we now have to get used to there sometimes being more information about our lives on the net than we are really comfortable with.

NannyG123 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:41:13

Apparently if one of your fb friends has liked your post,and your friends settings are not private then everone on anyone can see it. I learnt this from a tv programme the other day. I've come off fb.

jaylucy Fri 01-Mar-19 11:44:16

I agree with Larsonsmum.
So sad that nowadays, people that are being genuinely friendly are seen to have an ulterior motive! Our lives these days are so insular - no wonder that so many mental health problems often begin with loneliness.
A lot of time, posting things on Facebook is the same as standing in your local shop, having a conversation with someone and other people overhearing. If you're that bothered, change your settings or deactivate your account!

Lesleyann9 Fri 01-Mar-19 11:52:37

Hi
I don’t put any personal information on Facebook and I have no uptodate photos my image is a generic one

DotMH1901 Fri 01-Mar-19 12:01:06

It is surprising just how many people are in circles that are connected by Facebook - if your DD has posted the news then it is up to her to choose what settings she has and who she wants to see her posts. When I was little we had lots of 'Aunts' who lived in the same road, everyone knew everyone else, all their news, troubles and joys and pitched in together to help each other out. I barely know my neighbours here - most work so are out most of the day - and I do miss the friendly chats that my Mum used to have with her neighbours. Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends, especially the younger ones, you just have to be sensible about how much detail you post (if that sort of thing bothers you).

FarNorth Fri 01-Mar-19 12:22:34

I was just surprised that she even knew who I was

Maybe your DD has posted a photo with you in it, also.

BusterTank Fri 01-Mar-19 12:24:36

Don't put it out there if you don't want others to see it .

Magrithea Fri 01-Mar-19 12:46:41

What everyone seems to forget is what goes online, stays online!

My DD has a complete embargo on photos of the DGC being put on things like Facebook and I agree. My niece's baby is constantly pictured on her page!

Esspee Fri 01-Mar-19 13:05:26

I discovered yesterday that a neighbour keeps a diary.
I commented about the unseasonably hot weather we'd been having and she said her husband had remarked that this time last year we had been prevented from flying to Egypt as our airport was closed due to snow.
Great memory I thought and I was impressed.......then she said that he had read it out to her from his diary that very morning.confused
My other half and I don't know what to think. We've laughed about it but I am sure it will cause us to behave differently around them in the future.

Pat1949 Fri 01-Mar-19 13:11:10

It's Facebook, what more can you say? If your daughter doesn't want it out there, don't put it on there. It seems she doesn't mind, so why complain about being 'stalked'.

maddyone Fri 01-Mar-19 13:14:48

Change your Facebook privacy settings to 'friends only.'

Pat1949 Fri 01-Mar-19 13:17:57

Another thing I would add, don't show holiday photos while you're still on holiday. I'm amazed at the amount of people who broadcast when they're away on holiday.

grannyactivist Fri 01-Mar-19 13:34:10

I grew up on a large council housing estate in Manchester where everybody knew everyone else's business - and were quite happy to pass opinion on it. grin It felt neighbourly to me and I was confident that most people's intentions were good. Nowadays the same kind of information that was shared at the gate or on the doorstep is available on Facebook and therefore in the public domain.

The problem I have with Facebook is almost the opposite one to the OP; because I'm rarely on FB I can't keep track of what people have posted and they can take umbrage if I don't comment on something they've posted! Am I really expected to say: "Did you enjoy your liver and mash last night, I saw the brilliant photo you posted?" "Great that your son won his football match." "What lovely new trousers you made." confused

Rosina Fri 01-Mar-19 13:36:11

I'm with you there, sodapop , as I can't see why people need to put every detail out there and then feel hunted or unhappy because people comment upon their activities or family. In the worst cases trolling is so foul and unpleasant, so why stick your head above the parapet? I view a few Facebook sites as they are so interesting and lively, but don't post anything. Left to me, Facebook would collapse, and although I can see that it is a really good thing to have for lonely people, for interesting niche information and so forth, I hear it can be quite dangerous to post children's photos, school details, even dates of family holidays - what are they thinking of? The 'w.w.w.' should give the clue to anyone unhappy about information being seen - the world is watching you.

GreenGran78 Fri 01-Mar-19 14:36:08

You wondered how she knew you were a relative of the boy. She has probably seen pictures and posts about you on his family's Facebook pages.

FarNorth Fri 01-Mar-19 15:04:44

A slight diversion - on the programme the other night, about a Women's Refuge, a family were shown having to leave the refuge quickly to transfer elsewhere because one of the children had put a photo of themselves in their new school uniform on social media and the violent partner had figured out where they were.

optimist Fri 01-Mar-19 15:45:37

One (negative) friend said I was "nosy".
One (positive) friend said "what I like about you is that you are inquisitive".
Language........tells us so much,

crazyH Fri 01-Mar-19 16:15:18

I love FB....I have reconnected and renewed childhood friendships.....love it !!

Jaycee5 Fri 01-Mar-19 16:41:42

That isn't stalking. People put things on their home page that they want others to see. Petitions and such like. As glammanana says, she was just being friendly.
I would have a look if I realised that someone I knew or lived near had a facebook page. They might know about something going on locally that I would be interested in. Why not?