Gransnet forums

AIBU

Has she gone too far?

(69 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 28-Feb-19 14:07:14

Talking to a lady down at the shops. She apparently lives in the street behind me although I didn't know her name before.
She asked me how is your grandson x enjoying his change of school? How did you know about that I asked. Saw it on Facebook she said. Now I feel as if I have been stalked!How can people be so nosy?

Jalima1108 Fri 01-Mar-19 17:26:51

Littleannie you could ask one of them, you're bound to know one
As of the second quarter of 2018, Facebook had 2.23 billion monthly active users

Peardrop50 Fri 01-Mar-19 17:50:30

Agree with others. The neighbour must be friends with your daughter or one of her friends and was just being friendly. An opportunity for you to get to know another neighbour as you haven't lived there long.
Espee, I imagine your neighbours diary entry probably said something along the lines of 'snowing so badly today even our neighbours flight to Egypt was cancelled'. Nothing wrong with that, doesn't mean that they record your every move.

Saggi Fri 01-Mar-19 18:12:48

If silly folks insist on spreading the minutiae of their lives on social media.... this is what happens. I don’t use it and never will. I share photos and news of my kids and grandkids by text or face time only. What else do you need.

sylviann Fri 01-Mar-19 19:06:04

Stalked after one comment is this a joke

Onestepbeyond Fri 01-Mar-19 19:44:43

If you want a private life that is private- keep it private -

Brigidsdaughter Fri 01-Mar-19 20:00:34

Find out from DD if she's connected. If not, neighbour would have had to look her up. If looked up, as people do, she was indiscreet saying anything

rafichagran Fri 01-Mar-19 20:12:53

Bit of a fuss over nothing. This person was just being friendly. You have overeacted.
As others have said, you put it out on Facebook with no privacy settings then everyone can view it.

Littleannie Fri 01-Mar-19 20:32:21

I am entitled to my opinion the same as you Jamila. I see Saggi agrees with me.

Sussexborn Fri 01-Mar-19 20:35:59

Neighbourliness is nothing like it used to be but some neighbours do still talk to each other! Some people are outgoing and not bothered that people know their business and others are very secretive and private. Takes all sorts!

Shizam Fri 01-Mar-19 21:58:37

Get your grandchild to sort your privacy settings! V important. Social media can be hard. But your neighbour asking a question isn’t so bad.

redheadh Sat 02-Mar-19 15:34:52

Check your facebook settings and make sure you just share with 'friends'. That way you have some control over what is shared. Go into account settings and follow the instructions.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:14:46

I am entitled to my opinion the same as you Jamila.
I don't know why you answered my post like that, I did not say you were not entitled to your opinion, littleannie. Your post sounds somewhat defensive.

It was in answer to your question:
Why on earth do people want to use Facebook in the first place?
and I was pointing out that, as there are 2.3 billion users of FB, you are bound to know at least one and could ask them why they use it.

Gettingitrightoneday Sat 02-Mar-19 17:06:39

It sounds like being friendly to me.

Greenfinch Sat 02-Mar-19 17:25:24

I would love it if someone had taken an interest in my grandson and bothered to talk to me about it. I don't like Facebook though.

Littleannie Sat 02-Mar-19 23:16:07

There are 9 other people on this thread who agree with me Jamila. Have you made the same smug suggestion to them?

Brigidsdaughter Sun 03-Mar-19 00:28:47

OP didn't post the info...

notanan2 Sun 03-Mar-19 01:17:13

Its not "nosey" to read what pops up on your news feed. It doesnt mean you went looking for it. Honestly, "stalking"! Such histrionics

Eloethan Sun 03-Mar-19 01:26:00

Don't put it on Facebook if you don't want people to talk to you about it.

I don't think Gransnet is like being on Facebook. On Gransnet you are anonymous.