Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I, er, unreasonable to be, er, irritated by, er, this

(36 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Fri 01-Mar-19 19:24:12

Where on earth did this ridiculous habit come from?

It seems that no actor can deliver a set of lines, without injecting errrrrrr every couple of words.

No matter what programme I watch, my ears are assaulted by this awful habit. Is it actually scripted? Or is it just that the actors have all latched onto it and it's a growing trend.

Mycatisahacker Tue 09-Apr-19 17:05:43

And all labour Mps!

‘We have been very clear’

Bollocks you are?

Mousepotato Mon 08-Apr-19 07:13:53

Oh thank you thank you Weeping Widow!! I actually went and had my hearing checked because I couldn’t understand half of what is being said on tv! The men mumble, the women whisper - is that supposed to be sultry? Maybe but I can’t hear them haha!

fairisle Sun 24-Mar-19 00:08:26

"It`s fine" annoys me! I`ve noticed the return of "Babe" more annoyance!

Maggiemaybe Sat 23-Mar-19 23:49:19

For some irrational reason I get irked by the overuse of the word 'absolutely'.

Washerwoman, someone told me recently that the word absolutely really got on their nerves. For some reason this sparked something off in me and I must have said it six times in the next half hour. I just couldn't stop myself! I go hot and cold now thinking about that conversation. grin

Mycatisahacker Sat 23-Mar-19 23:16:50

Let’s have a grown up conversation???

No sense whatsoever.

I turned around and said? No you didn’t really did you?

And every answer begins with so!!!!!

Chewbacca Fri 22-Mar-19 22:24:54

I turned around and said.....

mcem Fri 22-Mar-19 22:21:16

I've said it before and I repeat it now, so don't get me started on "Don't get me started!"

HurdyGurdy Fri 22-Mar-19 21:55:56

KateK - you missed a trick there grin

"‘Literally’ is another one as in “I got such a fright I literally felt my heart stop.” No, you didn’t!!"

Should have said "no, you LITERALLY didn't" grin

Kalu Thu 21-Mar-19 10:00:08

Some interject this um and err so much I lose the thread of what they are talking about

Another one I find distracting is so many presenters and politicians doing the hand clasp.....clasping and unclasping to emphasise a point. I am too busy following all this clasping that I lose the thread here too. Prince Charles is the worst culprit.

1inamillion Thu 21-Mar-19 09:14:34

Agree with all the literary annoyances mentioned here. I'll add one - the use of " clearly", so many MP's using it now, so patronising.

Katek Thu 21-Mar-19 07:59:32

‘Literally’ is another one as in “I got such a fright I literally felt my heart stop.” No, you didn’t!!

andycameron69 Thu 21-Mar-19 07:44:31

great post Gill
smile
grin

GrandmainOz Thu 21-Mar-19 07:40:34

anja ??

GillT57 Mon 18-Mar-19 16:25:04

Maybe everyone should be enrolled on 'Just a Minute' where you have to speak on a given subject without repetition, deviation or hesitation!!

Washerwoman Mon 18-Mar-19 16:19:08

For some irrational reason I get irked by the overuse of the word 'absolutely'.
It may be me but so many people in interviews preface a sentence with it.Once I have heard it several times I'm willing them to choose a different word.Also agree with a dislike for the word 'Like'.

Oldandverygrey Mon 18-Mar-19 16:05:20

What about basically then, its basically this and basically that, the most overused word I have ever heard! Basically it cheeses me off.

eazybee Mon 18-Mar-19 15:39:44

On Saturday I travelled for three hours on a train to Southampton seated behind a very self-possessed young woman who talked incessantly about herself in a cut glass accent, with ear-splitting clarity, but with 'like' interjected every five or six words ( I counted.) Clearly this has replaced OK yah.
" Like they asked me at the interview, like, had I got a hobby? A hobby, like! I have an extremely demanding job and like I am buying a house and like, do it up so I can make a profit. I don't have time, like, for a hobby."
Recognise yourself, Sophie? Like!!!

glammanana Mon 18-Mar-19 14:47:37

I find a lot of people can not string a sentence together without an auto que,even then they have a problem sometimes.

muffinthemoo Mon 18-Mar-19 14:33:27

Linguistic fillers!

They actually have a very important role in speech and verbal discourse.

This is a nice starting place for an article, but most of the linguistics stuff is fairly comprehensible to laypeople if you are interesting in investigating this more.

www.nimdzi.com/exploring-linguistic-fillers/

Anja Mon 18-Mar-19 14:25:39

“To err is human, to forgive divine.” Pope

Charleygirl5 Mon 18-Mar-19 13:46:06

My nephew drives me crazy with every 3rd word being "like". Do children pick up this bad habit at school? Admittedly it is a long time since my nephew was at school because he is in his early 30's now.

For every drama that is on, I now have subtitles.

sodapop Mon 18-Mar-19 12:51:01

Yes that's annoying too HumptyDumpty along with "at the end of the day" and
"I'm not being funny but...." grrrrr

humptydumpty Mon 18-Mar-19 12:48:33

Not as annoying to me as 'like' in every sentence!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 18-Mar-19 12:44:56

No, you are not unreasonable in objecting to err and um in sentences, or to people mumbling.

I suppose Tony Blair may have caused some people to think, "Well if he can see err all the time, I can too", but I can clearly remember being corrected at school in 1964 or thereabouts for say "err"

midgey Mon 04-Mar-19 20:12:12

If it isn’t ‘err’ it will be ‘um’. Drives me potty!