Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sanitary products in hospitals

(115 Posts)
Esspee Sun 03-Mar-19 07:37:36

I was shocked to read today that sanitary products are NOW going to be supplied in hospitals in England on the NHS.

Surely that is a basic necessity for women in hospital. Why has it not been challenged before now?

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Mar-19 14:14:14

What matters for staff is that they can actually park - I would think that many hospitals do what my locals one do- a permit scheme that is paid for according to use. Do people really believe it should be free?

notanan2 Tue 05-Mar-19 16:38:45

Not sure what you mean notanan2. Men can cope without razors. Females can't without STs.

Men (and hairy women) would die without razers being readily available in emergency/critical/ward settings for reasons I have already posted.

Those razers may also get used for vanity reasons, but that is not why they are universally always in stock!

notanan2 Tue 05-Mar-19 16:42:21

I mean emergency rooms and operating theatres aren't stocking them so that people can look dapper are they?

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-19 17:05:13

Not all hospitals are in the city centre. Some are on the outskirts of towns - two or three that I can think of are.

Many workers have the choice to use public transport, although it may make a journey longer and more stressful if buses and trains are crowded.

People who work in hospitals often have to do shiftwork - if the transport system doesn't run later in the evening/night/early morning, they have no option but to use a car - and it is essential that they are at work on time.

Public transport isn't always reliable. If a retail assistant, an office worker or anyone not engaged in the emergency services is late for work, it is stressful and inconvenient but unlikely to risk the health and safety of people who are dependent on their presence.

It seems to me that it is probably fair and necessary to charge a reasonable amount to use a hospital car park. It should be possible to make an arrangement whereby people who need to visit over a prolonged period of time could pay a reduced rate, or pay nothing at all. What I think is unreasonable is the extortionate amount that some hospitals charge per hour.

Eloethan Tue 05-Mar-19 17:21:52

Although I think visitors should pay a reasonable amount, I don't think hospital workers should pay anything.

dizzyblonde Tue 05-Mar-19 18:01:46

My daughter is a nurse and often works a 16-02 shift. She has to park a good 15 minutes walk (and pay for the privelege) from the hospital which is not in the nicest of areas and therefore has to walk alone back to her car at 2am.
When I worked in an office job in a town centre the latest I had to walk back to my car was 7pm unless I went out after work which was of course my choice.
I am very glad my workplace now has a secure car park and I don’t have walk to my car dodging the drunks at silly o’clock in the morning, I just wish my daughter had the same safe place to park, after all she can’t use public transport.

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Mar-19 18:24:54

Those starting or leaving a shift at hours like that should be given special consideration. Isn’t there a duty of care issue that her union could tsk even up?

notanan2 Tue 05-Mar-19 18:43:14

Its probably not a union thing because car parking decisions are rarely made in house. The car parks are usually run by external companies that her employer has no control over

dizzyblonde Tue 05-Mar-19 19:24:20

Unfortunately not. It’s accepted as part of the job.

annep1 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:01:30

I've missed that post somehow Notanan. Will look now.

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:02:15

Of course it could be a union issue - the physical safety of employees is part of what a union should be involved with.

annep1 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:06:46

I also missed your sarcasm.

annep1 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:07:48

I also missed your sarcasm Notanan.

annep1 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:10:32

Some good points regarding parking. Things aren't always black and white.

notanan2 Tue 05-Mar-19 20:22:44

I havent been sarcastic annepl. Razers are essential in emergencies for attaching electrodes or cannulas etc. That is why they are always stocked.

What can a union do if the carpark isnt owned or run by the employer?

Bathsheba Tue 05-Mar-19 22:45:03

Would be a waste of money time and lives to start charging for food. People wont heal/recover if they are skimping on their food to avoid a bill!

Last time I was in hospital, a couple of years ago, I can only thank heavens it was for 24 hours, as the food supplied was truly diabolical. Breakfast was a cup of weak tea and one slice of toast, meagrely spread with margarine. Dinner was a one egg omelette, and 3 small boiled potatoes, followed by a small pot of jelly. Tea was a limp cheese sandwich and a weak cup of tea. I wouldn't call that a diet designed to aid healing and recovery, would you? I would willingly contribute financially in order to be better fed.

annep1 Wed 06-Mar-19 06:17:24

I mean emergency rooms and operating theatres aren't stocking them so that people can look dapper are they?
This definitely sounds like sarcasm to me. It did not add to the discussion.

annep1 Wed 06-Mar-19 06:25:04

Definitely not Bathsheba. But much better than I got in Alicante. I remember one morning we were all looking out the ward doors starving wondering where the breakfast trolley was with our mini roll and sachet of olive oil - (not marmalade as I had thought) Apologies for going offthread but the memory just returned.

notanan2 Wed 06-Mar-19 09:44:10

This definitely sounds like sarcasm to me. It did not add to the discussion.
Um no that would be a rhetorical question not sarcasm....

annep1 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:17:34

Notanan
Um....yes. It was a rhetorical question used very sarcastically and rude. Not nice. Its one of the things rhat puts people off posting.

notanan2 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:20:52

1. To make that sentence sarcastic you would need to remove the "aren't".

2. Not my fault you didn't read the tread properly before replying @ me. I haven't been rude, I've just reiterated my point in reply.

notanan2 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:21:17

"thread"

notanan2 Wed 06-Mar-19 21:26:42

My statements were true. A sarcastic sentence is one that is obviously the opposite of true. HTH.

annep1 Wed 06-Mar-19 22:48:00

You didn't just reiterate your point. I know what sarcasm is and I know that you know you used it. My last reply. I hate people being rude.

notanan2 Wed 06-Mar-19 23:44:59

Then why are you being rude and hostile to me?