Gransnet forums

AIBU

To ask you to please help with my university project?

(87 Posts)
NannaBanana Fri 29-Mar-19 16:48:15

I have been on this site for a few years, but usually just read.

I went back to university this year for a Masters in Food Innovation and my group are developing a food product which as well as being enjoyable to eat, will help with age-related muscle loss (sarcopenia).

Would you be willing to help us by answering a short survey? We don’t need your name or address and the answers will help in our project assessment.

Thank you so much. The link is www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MNMBCBQ

Gonegirl Fri 29-Mar-19 20:32:47

I don't believe you can counter the effects of natural ageing with protein.

Bodybuilders and the like are not usually in their 70s/80s/90. Might work for younger people but not for oldies.

NannaBanana Fri 29-Mar-19 20:56:00

Thanks for all your replies. I completely understand your skepticism, and I also avoid processed foods. There is supporting research, but nutrition is notoriously complex, and no one can really say whether eating a particular food can definitely solve any medical issue. It’s just not that simple. But we hope to produce work which can contribute to the debate. And our product will be completely natural with no added sugar, and as little fat as we can.

Jessity Fri 29-Mar-19 21:20:11

Done.

boheminan Fri 29-Mar-19 21:20:35

Filled in smile. Interesting theory.

Gonegirl Fri 29-Mar-19 22:07:56

But will you claim that it helps sarcopaenia?

NotSpaghetti Fri 29-Mar-19 22:17:51

Interesting - but isn’t the point of ice cream that it’s a luxury treat full of cream and sugar?

NannaBanana Fri 29-Mar-19 22:20:59

Gone girl We have research which shows a statistically significant reduction in muscle loss in adults following a higher protein diet. Our product will contribute towards increasing daily protein intake.

Gonegirl Fri 29-Mar-19 22:23:50

I have read the opposite. And I have read quite a lot about it.

NannaBanana Fri 29-Mar-19 22:24:04

The online survey is reaching the upper limit of allowed responses (thank you all so much). If you would like to take part but get an error message, please let me know and I will dm a written copy to you.

callgirl1 Fri 29-Mar-19 22:27:03

Done

Urmstongran Fri 29-Mar-19 23:01:23

Done.

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Mar-19 23:24:12

Done. It’s still working, NannaBanana. smile

Mamissimo Fri 29-Mar-19 23:59:31

Done - could also aid healing in post surgical care where loss of appetite can lead to protein deficiency. Sometimes a ‘treat’ might go down easily

janeainsworth Sat 30-Mar-19 02:06:32

I've just done the survey.
I don't eat ice cream or frozen yoghurt but I have read recently several articles suggesting that older people should eat more protein to counteract muscle loss, maintain strength & prevent falls.
I do Pilates to try & maintain muscle mass & strength & am trying to increase my protein intake but would prefer to do it by eating 'normal' food & not supplements like body builders do.

absent Sat 30-Mar-19 03:36:27

I have answered your survey but I don't think you thought hard enough about the questions. I, for example, buy ice cream/frozen desserts for my grandchildren but neither Mr absent nor I actually eat them.

dellygran Sat 30-Mar-19 06:10:24

Done - good luck with your project and please keep us updated on progress - this is a very real problem for many GNetters

Anja Sat 30-Mar-19 06:29:50

I’ve filled in the survey but like absent I don’t eat the ice cream I buy.

Kittye Sat 30-Mar-19 07:12:25

Done

Jane10 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:52:45

I did it too but I'm really not interested in frozen desserts. Instead of trying to develop a product how about developing a guide to avoidance of muscle loss? We all know bits and pieces of stuff we should know but it would be more helpful to have a good guide to healthy eating to avoid bone and muscle loss in ageing.

harrigran Sat 30-Mar-19 08:08:44

Done the survey but like most others do not fill my freezer with frozen desserts, prefer to eat a varied diet with everything in moderation.

Greenfinch Sat 30-Mar-19 08:21:06

Done but only have ice cream in freezer not other frozen desserts.

PamelaJ1 Sat 30-Mar-19 08:25:45

My answers indicated that, although, I am very aware and interested in what I eat. I wouldn’t seek out an ‘enhanced’ food.
Like many of you I eat a good and healthy diet and avoid ready made food that contains ingredients that I either think are unnecessary or damaging to the environment or my body.

DanniRae Sat 30-Mar-19 08:52:37

Done!

Good Luck smile

NannaBanana Sat 30-Mar-19 09:19:24

I’m so very grateful for all responses, even if you feel you would not be interested in the product, as this helps us to refine our market.

I would be very interested to see any research or links you have read, whether supporting our theory or against. Gonegirl?

As I say at this point it’s an academic exercise as our degree is for industry professionals working in product development.

However, I would love the conversation to continue as using diet to avoid problems or improve health is my absolute passion.

I completely agree that the “gold standard” is to identify a personal diet of completely natural and ideally organic food for every individual, but we aren’t able to do that yet, and if we can provide a naturally enhanced food that is desirable and enjoyable, surely it’s better than nagging people to eat food they don’t really want, or cannot chew, or swallow?

Gonegirl Sat 30-Mar-19 09:54:11

NannaBanana, no, I can't find it online. I heard it very recently on BBC radio. It debunked the extra protein theory.

A well balanced diet, with adequate amounts of protein, combined with appropriate exercise is the only way to slow down muscle wasting. (That from NHS website)

If I were you I would not want to contribute to yet another, probably over-priced, "health food", marketed purely to make profits out of people who can ill afford it.

And I think it is likely you could end up with fat/fatter people.