Gransnet forums

AIBU

The Sussexes & Hypocrisy

(318 Posts)
Sparklefizz Fri 05-Apr-19 10:04:41

Prince Harry said earlier in the week that social media is as addictive for kids as drugs and alcohol. They can be bullied and become anxious and depressed.

Instagram seems to be the worst apparently, although he didn't mention that by name.

However, AIBU to expect Harry and Meghan with all their virtue-signalling, to be less hypocritical? The Sussexes have just set up an Instagram account and already have over 3 million followers apparently !!! Is this not blatant hypocrisy?

Before this, Harry's topic was a climate change lecture to young people while he and Meghan zipped about in private jets for her baby shower and his trip back for Valentine's Day.

I have always been very fond of Harry but since he has become New Agey and got on various soapboxes, they both have had a marvellous chance to practise what they preach..... but are not doing it.

I'm disappointed in him.

Anja Mon 15-Apr-19 11:58:37

Have it your own way.

Alexa Mon 15-Apr-19 10:22:44

Anja, each epithet in your list is intended to denigrate. 'Hag' is different from the items that you list because it's about the person's appearance and age. Currently it's regarded as better to be young and smooth than to be old and wrinkled.

To accept that I am a hag is to calmly accept that I am old and wrinkled and that the person who tries to insult me by calling me a hag shows their unreasoning prejudice.

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 22:41:14

Alexa agreed.

Perhaps that leaves some women feeling powerless, unappreciated, jealous, etc. Many of these pejorative terms eg termagant, shrew, fishwife, scold, harpy, virago, vixen, etc. do indeed apply to females.

Wonder why that is?

Alexa Sun 14-Apr-19 09:21:52

Anja, cruel dictators, criminals, commercial exploiters, and extreme right wing politicians mostly are and mostly always have been male. 'Devils out of hell' is a worse epithet than 'hags' .

[flower] PROUD TO BE A HAG [flower]

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 08:09:05

I suppose the opposite of bitch is dog?

Anja Sun 14-Apr-19 08:07:16

You tell me Jaxie - there must be men out there who love to gossip and rip people apart verbally - though I’ve never personally come across one. That may explain my limited vocabulary.

Jaxie Sun 14-Apr-19 07:45:11

Anja, You use the expression "old hags", what expression likewise exists to define old men?

Lisagran Sat 13-Apr-19 15:30:17

grin

Bridgeit Sat 13-Apr-19 14:06:29

?ahhhh

Anniebach Sat 13-Apr-19 13:58:22

People

Bridgeit Sat 13-Apr-19 13:13:41

Who is calling it this .?

Anniebach Sat 13-Apr-19 09:16:20

The announcement! Is being called ‘ a stage managed event to get attention’.

Anniebach Sat 13-Apr-19 09:14:00

I admire William. Such a troubled childhood, his mother said in her book he use to push tissues under the bathroom door when he heard her crying. Her constant talking to the media, posing for photographs when he was at Eaton, the death of his mother when he was 15, the media attacks on his grandparents and father and the knowledge he was 2nd in line to the throne. Too much for a teenager.

And now such a sense of duty. I think he has balanced his life so well, keeps his family life private , photographs of their children are taken by Kate and only released for occasions such as birthdays , yet accepts there is public interest .

merlotgran Sat 13-Apr-19 09:11:00

To announce they're not making an announcement just smacks of attention seeking to me. William and Kate always waited two or three hours before announcing the births of their children to allow plenty of time for informing the Queen, close family etc. They then had to 'perform' for the media circus outside. H&M won't have to do any of that so their private celebration will be just that......private.

A home birth will suit everyone and we won't have to pay for extra security at whichever hospital she chooses.

But breaking with tradition - denying tourists the chance to photograph the formal announcement at the palace gates is unnecessary and I can't imagine the Queen approve. No wonder William had concerns about their marriage.

annsixty Sat 13-Apr-19 09:06:20

It isn't his fault.
He is one besotted man, I hope the veil doesn't fall from his eyes too soon.

Sparklefizz Sat 13-Apr-19 08:50:56

^merlotgran Fri 12-Apr-19 20:32:18
I can't think of a more thankless task than being Baby Sussex's nanny.

I know Norland nannies are trained in martial arts these days but are they allowed to use it on the mother? grin^

Love it, Merlot. I suspect there will be a quick succession of nannies because "someone" will never be satisfied.

And Annie I love "an announcement that there won't be an announcement"..... it all gets more and more ridiculous. I am sooo disappointed in Harry who was always my favourite.

Anniebach Fri 12-Apr-19 21:05:56

Their announcement that they will not make an announcement seems to have angered people

‘If they want royal privileges, taxpayers to fork out millions
For their cottage renovation, security, pay for them and the baby for life but don’t want to share details until they are ready.
If you want privacy, sod off and fund yourselves ‘

merlotgran Fri 12-Apr-19 20:32:18

I can't think of a more thankless task than being Baby Sussex's nanny.

I know Norland nannies are trained in martial arts these days but are they allowed to use it on the mother? grin

Anniebach Fri 12-Apr-19 18:29:47

They have their own homes in Norfolk and Scotland so have no need to travel far.

paddyann Fri 12-Apr-19 17:49:28

or we could just give them all their marching orders ...they could move the medieval spectacle that is monarchy somewhere else !!

JenniferEccles Fri 12-Apr-19 17:31:21

It's called 'duty' isn't it? Being married to a royal means not always doing exactly as she would wish - something it appears Madam Meghan needs to learn.

She should follow the Queen's example regarding duty.

Lily65 Fri 12-Apr-19 14:44:05

I got the impression with William and Kate, they got the photo shoot out of the way quickly and then got on with their lives ( as best they can under such scrutiny)
Kate probably didn't want to be standing about ,hours after giving birth but they dug deep and got it over with.

Bridgeit Fri 12-Apr-19 14:41:49

Ohh , but if no photos, what will people criticise Ohhps sorry I mean look at .

Bridgeit Fri 12-Apr-19 14:40:15

Unless of course nobody buys them,
Perhaps someone will start a boycott?!

Bridgeit Fri 12-Apr-19 14:39:01

She is going to be criticised, no matter what she does.
Still ,magazines , photographers etc will make money out of it , so its not all bad ?