Gransnet forums

AIBU

.. to hate the Grand National?

(93 Posts)
humptydumpty Sat 06-Apr-19 12:36:46

I don't know how people can enjoy watching an event which is so dangerous for horses, any steeplechase, but the reverence for the Grand National makes me feel sick. I caught an interview with a jubilant trainer in another steeplechase event and the reporter mentioned at the end that the man's joy at winning was spoilt somewhat because another of his horses had died. Yuck.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Apr-19 18:13:00

I don't even agree with zoos, only that some animals have to be saved from poaching etc and preserving some animals is vital, but it used to upset me seeing the big cats pacing-----I have the urge to set them free.
I didn't even like circuses as a kid when they used animals I remember it worrying me. They should be free !

Luckygirl Sat 06-Apr-19 18:13:32

I'm in the "hate it" camp too.

phoenix Sat 06-Apr-19 20:15:11

Sparklefizz you say that "horse racing is a disgrace and cruel".

Those horses are loved and looked after like you wouldn't believe!

What about the abandoned horses and ponies, just Google it and you will see.

Race horses have the life of Riley compared with some "pet" horses and ponies.

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Apr-19 20:29:42

phoenix Yes, you're right, many animals are neglected and treated inhumanely, and it's upsetting, but that doesn't make whipping horses and racing them to exhaustion good, does it, just because many have it worse?

Deedaa Sat 06-Apr-19 20:43:16

phoenix I watched the Grand National for the first time in years today. It struck me how excited and ready for the race the horses looked as they gathered for the start, and of course you get the riderless ones who happily carry on jumping with the rest. The horses are all quite mature and the fences seem much safer than they used to be. I still think the field is too big. The horse that died fell at the first fence, it was much better once it had thinned out to half the number.

nightowl Sat 06-Apr-19 20:52:00

The horses carry on jumping because they are herd animals Deedaa not because they love racing. Some of them may enjoy it, some might not, but the instinct to stay with the herd is what drives them to run even when they break a leg and it is dangling beneath them.

Iam64 Sat 06-Apr-19 21:23:16

I rode till my late 50's when arthritis put a stop to something I loved. I stopped joining the office National sweep stake about 20 years ago. I couldn't stand to see those beautiful animals running till their hearts could burst, with fatalities most years as a result of falls. Jockeys have choices about the risks they take, the horses don't.
Two were put down yesterday, one today. That seems a very high level of fatalities for two days racing.
I seem to remember two were shot at the Cheltenham races this year.
Phoenix is right to say these horses are well cared for and loved by their owners, stable hands and riders. I used to ride a retired racehorse at the stables I went to. A huge, gentle beast who loved nothing more than hacking out, with a gentle canter or a racing gallop across the field. His desire to be at the front stayed with him.
I find the risks in racing more than I can stand. Show jumping and 3 day events - fantastic.

Witzend Sun 07-Apr-19 10:17:59

There's a brilliant (very poignant) Pam Ayres poem about a racehorse making his will before a race.
She evidently feels the same as so many on here.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Apr-19 11:05:30

As a horse owner and horse lover, I am always sad when a horse dies in racing, cross country any competition.

They also die jumping out of their fields, through kicks from other horses but mostly from misuse and abuse by careless clueless owners!!!!

It is impossible to make a horse do something it doesn’t want to, even by beating/ whipping you would not get the level of performance from an unhappy animal.

These are some of the most cosseted and well fed horses on the planet.

The fences are not solid as most high level cross country fences are (Olympics etc) they have more “give” than the majority of show jumping fences.

To answer another posters query on horses jumping out of their fields..... they do frequently which is why the majority of responsible owners have electric fences just inside the physical ones.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Apr-19 11:17:16

Ah thank you GG13 for sharing your knowledge on this subject. Not just an opinion. GN (the site, not the race!) at its best. We all learnt something there.
??

trisher Sun 07-Apr-19 11:35:58

I've actualy been to the Grand National- many years ago when it was not the fashionable event it has become. The fences look high but collapse because the top is just branches when they are touched (and I believe there can be a problem with high winds). I was taken to race meetings at a very young age- GM of Irish decent who followed the horses and always went to the St Leger. Once when I was at Newton Abbot a horse had to be shot. (Screens all round so nothing to see) I don't remember crying just being a bit upset. I suppose if you are raised with these things they become normal. There are an awful lot more dreadful things done to animals.

Fennel Sun 07-Apr-19 11:50:21

As others have said, it's all about money now. And very sad for those poor horses.
This topic reminded me of that wonderful film, National Velvet. With Elizabeth Taylor as a teenager.
At that age I was horse mad - I didn't have one of my own but used to help exercise the beach ponies. Galloping along the hard sand I imagined I was National Velvet.

Fennel Sun 07-Apr-19 11:52:50

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB6oI04sMc4

GrannyGravy13 Sun 07-Apr-19 11:58:48

Fennel my daughter and I love that film along with the following one.

SalsaQueen Sun 07-Apr-19 12:01:05

I don't like any horse racing. Nor do I like dog racing (that is very cruel, the dogs have horrible lives and are then discarded)

Mycatisahacker Sun 07-Apr-19 12:47:55

I really don’t know anything about horses so thanks to GG13 and I see trishers points too.

I adore animals and abhor cruelty like fox hunting but jokers seem to love their horses.

About this race I honestly don’t know. I couldn’t watch it or bet though as I couldn’t bear seeing horses injured.

Mycatisahacker Sun 07-Apr-19 12:56:25

Jockeys obviously.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Apr-19 13:08:42

First I m not a horsey person I ve never been on a horse or even up close I would be frightened they re so big and powerful but I think any ANIMAL races are a national disgrace and no better that circuses, dancing bears, or animals kept in cages I don’t care how well looked after or pampered in daily life, they are pushed to limits and beyond, simply for human entertainment and that’s disgraceful.

I saw this today written after the Grand National and it brought tears to my eyes

I died today, I died so that humans can dress up, drink alcohol, and give money to people who already have lots. I don’t understand as they could have done that anyway without killing me.I had no choice whether to be there or not, unlike them. The only thing I did wrong was being born into this body. I died today

humptydumpty Sun 07-Apr-19 13:22:48

trisheras an earlier poster said, just because worse things are done to animals does not make this right - as in BlueBelle's beautiful verse.

Deedaa Sun 07-Apr-19 21:33:47

nightowl I know they are basically running as a herd but on the whole they do seem to enjoy it, watch the ears.

I agree with phoenix about how well looked after they are. The thing that really upset me about the programme they showed recently about the fate of Shergar was the thought of that beautiful horse, who had been pampered and babied all his life, breaking his leg in a strange lorry surrounded by total strangers and heaven knows whether they were efficient when they shot him.

nightowl Sun 07-Apr-19 22:00:09

Sorry Deedaa I can’t agree with either point. I’m not convinced they enjoy racing; their body language demonstrates high excitement which could be either joy or fear. Horses have primitive responses based on the fact they are prey animals, and I don’t believe it is possible to judge what they are feeling just from their ears.

As for being well cared for, why do so many racehorses develop ulcers within three months of beginning their training? They are put on an intensive training schedule as babies and lead a life which does not suit a horse’s needs. I have known several ex-racehorses in recent years and I would say that without exception they are messed up physically, mentally or both. One with the sweetest nature, who had won thousands of pounds, ridden by the best jockeys, was incurably lame at 12 and had to be put to sleep. And some would say they are the lucky ones to have survived at all.

Iam64 Sun 07-Apr-19 22:06:48

Horses aren’t prey animals, they’re fl

Iam64 Sun 07-Apr-19 22:10:37

Sorry I’m on my iPhone which seems to operate independently. Horses are flight, not prey animals - I may have misunderstood your comment nightowl.
I share night owls concerns about race horses but the only two retired racehorses I’ve known/ridden often, have been great. As thoroughbreds you’d expect them to need careful handling but I loved the one I hacked out on and had lessons on. He was fit and a lovely temperament

jeanie99 Mon 08-Apr-19 00:11:58

I absolutely do not like to see horses whipped, awful.

tiffaney Mon 08-Apr-19 14:58:20

I absolutely hate it. I remember seeing Claire Balding a few years ago interviewing one of the owners of a beautiful horse earlier on the day. The horse fell and had to be put down. What a risk to take with a precious animal for a few moments of glory. I cannot bear needless death in animals, l even cry at roadkill or when a bird flies into the patio window and dies. Maybe l should toughen up.