Gransnet forums

AIBU

.. to hate the Grand National?

(92 Posts)
humptydumpty Sat 06-Apr-19 12:36:46

I don't know how people can enjoy watching an event which is so dangerous for horses, any steeplechase, but the reverence for the Grand National makes me feel sick. I caught an interview with a jubilant trainer in another steeplechase event and the reporter mentioned at the end that the man's joy at winning was spoilt somewhat because another of his horses had died. Yuck.

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Apr-19 12:41:23

I also hate it and cannot watch it or any other programmes like it because I hate seeing the horses whipped so much.

Anniebach Sat 06-Apr-19 12:45:00

Cannot watch it, to see those beautiful animals and wonder how many may die

MaizieD Sat 06-Apr-19 12:52:57

I dislike it, too. They've tried to make it safer by altering fences and restricting the entry, but it's still carnage some years.

In fact, I dislike racing in general; horses are raced before they're mature, there's a huge breakdown rate and, I don't know if it's true now, but a few years ago a lot of the 'failures' were shipped abroad for meat or went into petfood. It's staggering, really. These are animals that were 'worth' £thousands when they were yearlings. There are racehorse rehoming charities but I don't think they get all of the breakdowns and failures..

I don't think many of the punters have any regard for the horses. They just want a flutter...

Grannybags Sat 06-Apr-19 13:08:24

I never watch it either. I used to be mocked when I refused to join in the sweepstake at work

Spudtm Sat 06-Apr-19 13:13:16

Don't watch it. Never have. It's heart-breaking when these beautiful horses are injured and worse.

Squiffy Sat 06-Apr-19 13:28:43

I hate the very thought of it.

Grandma70s Sat 06-Apr-19 13:38:46

The Aintree race meeting that culminates in the Grand National actually lasts three days. Last thing I heard, two horses have died already this year. It seems to be accepted as part of the event. Terrible thinking.

I confess I used to watch it, because I do love to see beautiful animals. Once I began to think about it in more depth, I stopped watching.

shysal Sat 06-Apr-19 13:40:56

I hate it too. I shan't be watching.

EllanVannin Sat 06-Apr-19 13:49:44

Loathe it, it's cruelty to animals !! Where are all the protest marches about this ? Using beautiful animals to fulfil people's greed.

phoenix Sat 06-Apr-19 14:29:21

Not my favourite race, I will freely admit, but will also admit that I love racing, sometimes go to meetings at Exeter & Newton Abbott (the 2 nearest courses).

In general most followers and fans are not just there for a "flutter" (Although more people bet on the Grand National than any other race) but for love and respect of the sport and it's participants, human and equine.

Kauto Star, a brilliant chaser, enjoyed a retirement from racing as a dressage horse, before being fatally injured when turned out into a paddock and deciding to jump the fence into the next one.

Horses can be injured during flat racing too, it's not just restricted to jump racing.

Sar53 Sat 06-Apr-19 15:39:50

I thought I was unusual in hating this race. I too wouldn't take part in the sweepstake when at work. Im not a horsey person in the slightest but I think this is a cruel race. Far too long and I hate seeing the horses whipped down the home straight.

moggie57 Sat 06-Apr-19 15:43:39

I used to bet on this each year but no more. It's cruel how they expect horses to jump that high.I know the fences have changed bug it's still dreadful when a horse falls and gets injured .then has to be shot when broken a leg.another sport that should be banned

ginny Sat 06-Apr-19 16:21:13

I won’t watch it either.
Someone once said to me that it was natural for horses to jump fences. So, how come so many of them live in fields with fences and never try to escape ?

Floradora9 Sat 06-Apr-19 16:23:44

Could not agree more and I would ban boxing as well .

phoenix Sat 06-Apr-19 16:39:44

Yes, I would ban boxing.

moggie57 you say it's cruel to expect horses to jump that high, have you ever seen the puisaunce (sp) jumping at the Horse of the Year Show?

moggie57 Sat 06-Apr-19 16:50:29

I don't have TV .so I can't comment on that.sorry.haven't had TV for a few years

Bellanonna Sat 06-Apr-19 17:29:04

Hate it too

Bellanonna Sat 06-Apr-19 17:30:05

But boxing at least is performed by consenting adults? Surely not as bad as the Grand National?

Urmstongran Sat 06-Apr-19 17:38:40

Tiger Roll won again - 4/1 favourite. An exciting race. My husband was cheering for him (wish he’d put a bet on!).

My father’s family were in the horse racing fraternity around the Ludlow area - on the flat. 3 of my uncles were all successful trainers and one was a jockey.

I just cover my eyes when the runners & riders go over the jumps in the Grand National.
?

Desdemona Sat 06-Apr-19 17:41:17

I never watch horse racing as I worry too much about the poor horses.

MaizieD Sat 06-Apr-19 17:47:49

It's cruel how they expect horses to jump that high.

They're not as high as they look because the top part is twiggy stuff that they just brush through.

Horses will jump 'in nature' to get away from danger. Galloping is a flight mechanism, too. Harnessing these instincts for riding horses is not intrinsically bad or harmful to them. My prime objection is to their growing bodies being subjected to too much stress before they are fully mature.

quizqueen Sat 06-Apr-19 17:56:13

I don't approve of any sport that abuses animals or uses them for human entertainment. That includes fishing for pleasure and hunting of any description, circuses and the like and racing. I think I look after my pets better than I look after myself! I was shocked when I went to visit an ostrich farm in S Africa, as part of an excursion, and they ask me if I wanted to ride it and threw a bag over its head!

nightowl Sat 06-Apr-19 18:06:17

One horse dead in the National, and two yesterday. Shameful.

Sparklefizz Sat 06-Apr-19 18:11:03

I think horse racing is a disgrace and cruel. I couldn't bear to watch it.