Gransnet forums

AIBU

Noisy kids after dark

(58 Posts)
Cressida Fri 12-Apr-19 11:46:51

A family moved in across the road a few months ago and their children are often extremely noisy after dark. Last night they were still out in the street at 10pm. Before the clocks changed they were regularly out until after 8 on school evenings.

AIBU to think that primary school age children should be indoors once the street lights come on.

Kim19 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:15:00

BL72, just wanted to say I like your attitude and way of thinking. I do believe totally integrated town centre living is the way forward for us. I'm just at the initial stages of a university project on that very topic.

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:23:19

I haven’t got patience with people complaining about children playing outside, it’s lovely to hear them laughing and shouting to each other, regardless of the time of day. I agree with previous posts, so much nicer than having them stuck in front of a screen.

Happysexagenarian Sat 13-Apr-19 11:28:26

It's nice that the parents consider your area safe enough for their children to play outside. So many parents now are reluctant to let their kids do anything without adult supervision. When our kids were young they had an 8.30pm curfew on school days and 10.30 in the holidays, though it was usually nearer 11pm before they hurtled through the door. I never worried about them, all the neighbours kept an eye on any children playing out, it also meant they rarely got into trouble either - they knew someone would be watching them!
Try to get to know your new neighbour and her children, it could benefit both of you.

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:39:51

When my children were little we lived in a lane with eight houses, three families had children, the other families were all retired, the children all played in each other’s gardens, and in the lane, yes, often till dark in the summer. Most of the neighbors were delightful, one elderly couple giving them small amounts of money for weeding, another, allowing them to join them on their long dog walks across the fields, one old lady, however, couldn’t tolerate them, complained constantly about their noise, shouted at them whenever they were anywhere near her property, well her loss I think, i think the children and our elderly neighbors got a lot from each other’s company

jenpax Sat 13-Apr-19 12:02:36

How times have changed! When I was young I was allowed to go out and up on to the Sussex Downs behind our house (unsupervised by an adult) for most of every day in the summer holidays taking a picnic with me and a couple of friends same age (all under 11) my daughters children are not allowed to play in the back garden without adult supervision ( 7 and 5) things are so different these days that it’s been interesting to hear that there still some areas where playing outside is encouraged.

Kim19 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:03:42

I think children bring a balance to social living and neighbourly success. Admittedly they bring their 'downsides' but don't we all? I have elderly neighbours who have their TV so loud it disturbs others. As long as the 'offence' is not absolutely constant maybe we should try to absorb it. Not easy but try a little self analysis and see if you perhaps do something which might niggle others. Me? I'm the perfect neighbour, of course!

DaisyL Sat 13-Apr-19 12:06:24

It is rather lovely to hear children playing outside, but it does seem to me that children today 'squeal' a lot more. I'm sure we made quite a lot of noise when we were young but I don't remember squealing. My grandchildren don't do this - although they can be very loud and exuberant. I don't know where the squeals come from - television game shows etc?

Catlover123 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:10:15

I agree with most who like to hear children playing. However, as an ex teacher I know that many children go to bed far too late and are so tired at school and unable to give their best. I let my children play outside and extended the time during the holidays but not when it was dark. I also asked my children not to scream too loudly as it was disrespectful of other people living nearby. A good life lesson. Someone talked about boundaries and it seems that some children have no boundaries at all. i don't think you are being unreasonable.

annodomini Sat 13-Apr-19 12:15:20

I clearly remember that my sisters and I had to go to bed while other children were still out playing in the field behind out house. I don't remember resenting this, perhaps because we appreciated having parents who gave us a regular routine and read us bedtime stories.

luluaugust Sat 13-Apr-19 12:36:11

In our street and driving round the town I have never seen youngish children playing out. Our local paper had an article some years ago now about the police being called out to a young boy on a bike going round and round a local roundabout and causing traffic chaos. With our heavy S E traffic I don't think children are allowed to play out.

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:39:53

I agree about the importance of routine and bedtime stories, but surely, routine can be suspended for those few hot summer holiday evenings! Nothing lovelier than being outdoors, and coming home, tired, and smelling of sunshine!

4allweknow Sat 13-Apr-19 13:04:31

When children were at primary never saw them during the day as they would be in the woods beside us with friends. Used to just run back to house for toilet and food usually grabbing a sandwich and apple. In house by 8 pm or a friends house after teatime but home by 9pm. Now live again by a wood with a stream. Do kids play there, no. The parents are mortified when I suggest this to them. What about all the 'strange' folk who could abduct or molest them. I keep saying if there is a group say 3 or 4 of them ut would be unlikely and most tragedies with children happen with people they know. Deaf ears! We have an open grassy area in the middle with houses surrounding. There are legal restrictions declaring No Ball games allowed. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see why. Planting can be destroyed, we all have to pay for replacement, balls hit garden fences, houses, go into gardens and there is a road alongside so kids just run out to retrieve a ball. Supposed to be 20 mph but the majority exceed this. Do parents prevent children playing with balls, NO. They'd rather annoy those who live round the area and run the risk of their child being hit by a car. Don't mind noise from kids but do think parents have a responsibility to consider others regarding nuisance from kids. Sorry this is such a rant but the total disregard of the legal conditions really annoys me. Some householders moved near the grassed area as the exemptions existed giving them peace of mind there would be no issue regarding balls.

blueskies Sat 13-Apr-19 14:52:08

Anyone else old enough to remember playing out until Mum or Dad called "Dick Barton" to have us running indoors to the radio.

Colverson Sat 13-Apr-19 16:35:25

You are lucky it is outside and children Pity those that live near students and have to put up with screaming and loud music alot of the time Please give me playing children any day

Gaggi3 Sat 13-Apr-19 18:00:42

Children don't tend to play out on our road much as it's sometimes busy and not very suitable. However, quite a few children and their parents pass our house, on their way to the nearby school, and I love to hear the scraps of conversation as they go by and see them clutching something they have made or written.

Tabbycat Sat 13-Apr-19 18:09:51

We overlook a beautiful park with a children's playground and we have a large primary school a few doors down at the back of our house, so sometimes we are surrounded by the sound of children playing. I am a retired primary school teacher and I like the sound. If I am in my garden, I smile when the school bell is rung and it all goes quiet - perhaps because I don't have to go and teach a lesson anymore wink

maryeliza54 Sat 13-Apr-19 18:16:04

There’s a big difference between hearing children during school times and daytimes in the Park - it’s quite another to have screeching and screaming at 9.30 at night when it’s been going on for hours, day after day after day.

Lilyflower Sat 13-Apr-19 22:23:16

10p.m. is far too late for children you be out on a school night. Many posters are indulging in fantasy delight at the noise of children playing where they would be horrified at the prospect of it happening to them.

My DH and I were walking around of the grounds of our local National Trust property today and noted, what we have seen much of recently, children behaving riotously and parents indulging them instead of rebuking them or teaching them to exercise restraint in public.

Liberal parenting has been a disaster for society and the children themselves. Their silly parents have made them unemployable and the poor kids will have to suffer the ill effects of being thoroughly spoilt.

As for the nuisance of kids out until all hours, call the environmental health people and, if you really want to ramp things up, social services and the police.

Sara65 Sat 13-Apr-19 22:29:05

Goodness, a bit harsh I think! I agree that some parents find it hard to discipline their children, but I think calling the police over a few children making a noise is totally over the top!

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 22:41:58

We always used to play out and so did my own children. Quiet streets, very little traffic. They had to be in at a reasonable time on school nights but weekends would play out until it got dark and often us mums, and sometimes older neighbours would come out too and stand and chat to each other before fetching them inside.

maryeliza54 Sat 13-Apr-19 22:44:48

I believe quite firmly that I have rights - rights to enjoy sitting in my garden on a summer evening with a glass of wine at 9pm without feral children screaming in the street. I don’t have the right to peace and quiet all day but there are limits and this is one of them.

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 22:51:09

Children playing out don’t necessarily equate with ‘screaming’. We are lucky to have a big green in our road and children play out there. Very rarely hear them at all.

maryeliza54 Sat 13-Apr-19 22:59:13

But when they are screaming then it’s a problem - thats my point. They do not have an unfettered right to scream/screech.

maryeliza54 Sat 13-Apr-19 23:00:01

Then the children in your road are well behaved- bully for you Anja

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 23:04:16

Yes, aren’t we lucky.