Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to suggest “Vote but don’t vote properly."

(39 Posts)
kentmaid Fri 12-Apr-19 12:55:58

I believe everyone who has a vote should use it. If you don’t like any candidates or even the reason for the vote, you should send positive message. Go to the Polling Station, collect your ballot paper, then write “None of the above” at the bottom. Keep it clean!

So many seem disillusioned with the current set of politicians/parties that we need to send them a clear message “You’re not doing your job.”
Currently it’s Brexit with both Leavers and Remainers let down.
This thread is NOT about Brexit but about how we ask all politicians to get their act together.

Maybe, one day, we’ll have a box on the ballot paper which says “None of the above.” If “None of the above” got most votes, all candidates would have to stand aside for others to try for our support.

harrigran Sat 13-Apr-19 09:15:53

Precisely craftyone.

petra Sat 13-Apr-19 09:20:15

BlueBelle
You use the word xenophobic. I have lived in 2 other European countries. I have visited every country in Europe. That includes some countries that not many British folk visit: Albania, Macedonia, Serbia ( all the countries in that region)
I'm not staying in hotels in these countries, so therefore shopping locally and generally mixing with local people.
I spend most of the winter outside the uk.
Hardly xenophobic, i think ?
Urmstongran owns a property in Spain and visits often. I would imagine she ( as well as me) would find it very difficult to avoid the locals grin

quizqueen Sat 13-Apr-19 09:48:57

People on here who criticise and spout such vile about Mr Farage know nothing about him other than from the odd tv or newspaper interview which, of course, are conducted by ( in general) the left wing media. It's the same with Trump.

However then , in real life, the same people write in about family problems where someone in the family won't talk to them and have said awful things etc. What hypocrites most of you are. It seems it's okay to slander someone in the public eye but you then complain if your own family or friends say hurtful things about yourselves!

You have no idea what meetings Mr Farage attends. If you look on You Tube you will see countless clips of him speaking in the European Parliament. I would guess that not that many of you conduct in depth political research on which to base your judgements but just repeat the mantras they have heard or read like 'cliff edge'.

Can you see Australia and other independent countries living on a cliff edge? What on earth can be wrong about wanting your country to be making all its own decisions just as the majority of the ones in the world do and restrict the numbers of people living here that thus that services can't cope. I will always vote but spoil my ballot paper in some elections as they are all counted as recorded.

At the moment the Brexit Party is only standing in the European Elections, not local council elections, so they don't need a refuse collection policy as someone mentioned!!! Comments like that just go to show how little people really do understand politics.

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 12:28:24

Quizqueen

A genuine question (or two):

Why do parties whose only aim is to end our membership of the EU even want to have MEPs?
What role within the EU do they envisage for any of their members who are alected as MEPs?

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 12:29:30

Sorry about the typos, but i think it's obvious what they were meant to say.

Firecracker123 Sat 13-Apr-19 12:37:54

Because it will be a protest vote by leavers and voters who believe in democracy who are not being represented at the moment by Conservative and Labour and will show our support for Brexit.

petra Sat 13-Apr-19 12:52:08

Here's a coincidence. I've just received a letter and photo of one of the girls I support through the charity 'Plan'
As you will seeBlueBelle she isn't white or British.

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 13:10:52

Protest votes that can undermine the economic and possibly the social stability of both the UK and the EU are an irresponsible move.

In fact, there was plenty of evidence that many people who voted to leave in the referendum only did so to as a protest against Cameron's Government. Look where that got us and what it has cost the UK so far!

So what will the role of any elected Brexit MEPs be, I wonder. Will they have served their purpose once elected, will they try to cause chaos in the UU Parliament, or will they actually play an active, responsible role, representing the best interests of the whole of the UK, for as long as we remain in the Union?

MamaCaz Sat 13-Apr-19 13:11:39

EU, not UU

GillT57 Sat 13-Apr-19 16:08:33

Quizqueen the voting record of the odious Farage is there for all to see and I am with Bluebelle in this; I truly despair of people still falling for his xenophobic ill informed claptrap.

Firecracker123 Sat 13-Apr-19 18:23:05

Oh no not that old chestnut again xenophobia.

petra Sun 14-Apr-19 09:18:08

Here's a picture of a Brexit Party candidate.http://www.eastlondonscienceschool.co.uk/alka-segal-cuthbert/

petra Sun 14-Apr-19 09:19:24

Don't know why that didn't work confused