Gransnet forums

AIBU

food budget challenge

(86 Posts)
DINNNO Sat 13-Apr-19 21:01:22

disclaimer, I'm vegan

I have decided that I want to start saving some more money. To do this I think cutting down the expense of my weekly food shop would help. Embarrassingly, I typically spend around £90 a week on food shopping so allot of waste. I tend to buy expensive products so obviously will need to stop doing that it I want to save money.

It's not necessary to cut down on the expense but it would help me splurge a bit more on other things. I've thought about reducing my food budget down to £20 a week (not including toiletries etc, just food) to hopefully prevent waste leaving £70 a week to put towards other things.

I was wondering if this is actually a do-able thing and if anyone has any suggestions on how to make it work, I know going from £90 a week to £20 a week is a bit drastic but I really do think I need to cut down on spending and waste.

aibu? Do I need to up my budget?

annsixty Mon 15-Apr-19 16:10:01

When my H first went into a care home and I was faced with care fees, I remarked to my D about my dilemma.
As I wasnt eating much she said , mum I think you could probably get by on £20 a week.
My reply, I probably could but I don't want to and don't intend to.
Who would choose to go without good and enjoyable food unless they absolutely had to?

BlueBelle Mon 15-Apr-19 17:10:57

Does this £20 budget include feeding the dog that you can’t train ?

MawBroonsback Mon 15-Apr-19 17:25:59

Poor dog!

M0nica Mon 15-Apr-19 17:58:39

How to cut the cost of your food:
1) always buy the cheapest variant the cheapest possible shop has - try Poundland, B&M Bargains, Home Bargains(?), Street markets.

2) Hang around markets at the end of the afternoon and buy vegetables by the sack at give away prices at the end of the day. Look at what tinned and packaged food is available on market stalls, ignore consume by dates.

3) Find out when your local supermarkets, mark food down and haunt those aisles, sections and gondolas when that happens.

4) Forage: pick wild provender, herbs fruit (blackberries, apples, greengages, sloes,. Do a foraging course so you know how to recognise, gather and cook food for free.

OR, since you can afford a reasonable diet.

1) Plan a weekly menu, use recipes you know and ones available online

2) Use recipes based on cheaper vegetables and fruit, root veg, cabbages and apples, not Butternut squash, sweet potato, raspberries, or mangoes.

3) By own brands not 'branded' brands

4) keep an eye open for special offers, buy food and veg on its sell by date and of you cannot eat it immediately cook it and freeze it.

5) At the end of each week, survey what fresh food is still in the house and then start the next week's menu plan with dishes using those ingredients, or make soup and freeze.

6) portion control. Serve food away from the table and give no-one anymore than they can eat, so that only empty plates come away from the table.

7) Nil food waste. No edible food ever to be thrown away, only vegetable peels and trimmings and that to go on a compost heap so that it can help you.....

8) Grow your own, even if it is just herbs in a window box.

9) Do not eat between meals

10 Do not buy any processed foods that you can make yourself.

Fennel Mon 15-Apr-19 18:59:52

For a week, (at least) don't go shopping.
Look at what you've got that's still edible. In the fridge, freezer, cupboard etc.
Make meals from that, and then decide

Glenfinnan Tue 23-Apr-19 09:36:26

Buy or borrow from library the Jack Munro cookbooks. Really good budget cooking

SynchroSwimmer Thu 02-May-19 19:13:17

Bootstrap Cook (Jack Monroe) has a great Facebook page...I love her ethos and respect her backstory...

Sorry I couldn’t attach a link here

crystaltipps Fri 03-May-19 06:08:14

Yes Jack Munro has lots of veggie recipes and the Bosh vegan cookbook is good. I’m not sure if this thread is a wind up either but no one is going to feed themselves on £20 per week if they are buying ready made and processed stuff.

Sb74 Wed 05-Jun-19 00:30:07

Ha ha Phoenix, I think you will need to make your comment a lot more obvious for op!

crazyH Wed 05-Jun-19 00:55:31

I was planning to turn my iPad off half an hour ago, but this thread and all the witty posts have made me laugh ....can't get to sleep now ?