Gransnet forums

AIBU

Street mechanic. Right or wrong?

(31 Posts)
Ohmother Wed 17-Apr-19 22:05:34

A lovely neighbour is a car mechanic and works at a garage. He also does a few jobs for people at home, including us. He has been brilliant for us and when some other neighbours have grumbled about the 'extra' cars in the street I have defended him. No one has a right to a parking place outside their house.

However at the moment there are at least five cars on the small road outside that are lined up for repair. AIBU or selfish to say he's beginning to take the proverbial?

I may add he doesn't park outside our house as he knows we constantly need the space

MamaCaz Thu 18-Apr-19 18:49:52

It sounds like he should consider going mobile - I am guessing no one would bat an eyelid if he went and repaired those cars outside their owners' houses.

Whether or not he is paying tax on his earnings is another matter, but I hate the automatic assumption some make that anyone being paid in cash must be on the fiddle!

vickymeldrew Thu 18-Apr-19 19:39:33

Well of course he’s taking the proverbial. He is monopolising the parking opportunities in the road for his own benefit and blow anyone else! As others have said, he should 1. Ask his ‘clients’ to come when he is free, or 2. Go mobile and visit them. I speak as someone who lived next door to a young lad who worked on the side cleaning cars. He left his cold water hose running literally all day pouring water down the drain. He chose not to have a water meter of course.

maryeliza54 Thu 18-Apr-19 19:44:05

It’s perfectly legal to run businesses online from home eg using one room as an office. The real issues are if you employ someone at your property or have separate living/ business premises eg a flat above the shop. In this case he is impacting his neighbours and there are health and safety issues not to mention insurance

Grampie Fri 19-Apr-19 07:41:02

Here’s an answer from the police:

www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q621.htm

Legal if doing someone a favour but illegal if:

- it is during the course of a business, or
- it is for gain or reward, or
- it causes annoyance to people in the vicinity.

SpringyChicken Sat 20-Apr-19 06:56:25

Well, it’s the black market, isn’t it? Presumably everyone pays cash and is happy about that because he’s cheaper than a garage. No business rates to pay, no tax, so he ought to be cheaper. He’s doing wrong, so is everyone who uses his service.