Gransnet forums

AIBU

Names

(155 Posts)
Razzy Thu 25-Apr-19 16:23:37

Am I being unreasonable? My mother-in-law refuses to use her grand child’s proper name, because she doesn’t think it is right that we’ve used both my husband’s surname and mine as our child’s last names. We are married but kept our own names. In fact mine is at the very end, but she refuses to use it. It really annoys me and I know my OH had another go at her about it.
I completely understand that it wasn’t like that in her day, but if she wants to use that logic I should give up work and get my husband to pay for everything.
Would it be unreasonable of me to call her Grandma Bob from now on, because I prefer it, instead of Grandma Barbara? ?

Starlady Wed 01-May-19 11:38:26

In fact, I see Razzy has already said that mil does this because she "doesn't agree" with Razzy's name being included. Somehow, I missed that post before.

About returning packages - I think simply neglecting to send an acknowledgement would be enough. Why go to all the trouble of returning them? But if this really bothers you Razzy, returning packages certainly seems like an option.

I agree with those who say the gc will probably tell her eventually and that might carry more weight, lol! I would treat it as a joke with my kids, though ("silly Gramma"). As I said above, it's disrespectful but laughable, too. Mil thinks she can turn back the clock, I imagine, but she can't.

Starlady Wed 01-May-19 10:58:31

Oh, and I meant to say, any confusion that may result over the years is for mum and dad to sort out. It's not for mil/gm to try to "fix"/prevent. And I don't think she's doing that, just trying to assert the status quo she's used to.

Starlady Wed 01-May-19 10:55:23

I totally get it. Dad is Jones. Mum is Smith. As the child of them both, dd is Jones Smith.

Yes, I can see where some people might get confused. Also, since the double last name isn't hyphenated, I can see where some people might think Jones is a second middle name and Smith is the child's last name.

But, Imo, mil is using Jones/the dad's name/her ds' last name as the child's last name because that's how she thinks it should be. She even calls the op "Mrs. Jones." It seems quite disrespectful to me and as if she thinks their names are HER decision. But as long as her foolishness doesn't affect records at school or work, it's not that big a deal, imo, just laughable, really.

icanhandthemback Wed 01-May-19 08:59:45

I find it terribly difficult to get uptight by a surname. By the time I was 8 I had had 3 different surnames and I added to the confusion by having another couple until I met my DH and we married. I've held this name for the last 24 years, the longest I've ever had the same name by about 7 times. Filling in a DBS form is a nightmare!

Elrel Tue 30-Apr-19 21:11:47

Leyla -
A friend did exactly as you did. Her children have become known by the initials. John J-S, rather than John Jones-Smith, it just gradually happened and it works for them.

Elrel Tue 30-Apr-19 20:57:13

Starbox
Are you back in the 1950s? Busy identifying ‘illegitimacy’ and maybe counting the months between wedding and birth? Nice!

leyla Mon 29-Apr-19 07:30:38

My DD has my name and DH name double barrelled because she is the last in the line on my side and it was a way of preserving the name for a bit longer. Don’t think she’ll be able to keep it going if/when she has a child as would be too long but it’s up to her.
I think your irritation with MIL will probably result in a natural reticence to spend time with her. Why would you spend time with someone who is irritating, so more fool her!

Grammaretto Mon 29-Apr-19 07:12:38

absent wow!
I have a cousin who was so unhappy when her parents divorced that she wanted to disown them and changed her name as a protest. She named herself after her pet animal.
Now, many years later, and her own divorce, she and all her children are still the name of her pet!
Ofcourse she had chosen the name anyway.

absent Mon 29-Apr-19 06:15:00

P.s. The last five children all have the same dad – my lovely son-in-law.

absent Mon 29-Apr-19 06:12:31

My daughter has the same surname as her father. I have kept my maiden name – my father's surname. She was born in 1982 and we never had any problems with school or anywhere else about who was who in our family. Her father and I are divorced, although we are close friends and live close by each other, having both emigrated to New Zealand within a year of each other.

Meanwhile, I had remarried – 20 years later and in the same Register Office – and still retain my maiden name. Sometimes Mr absent is addressed as Mr My Name because I generally pay all the bills and people assume that I am Mrs, rather than Ms My Name. I chose to keep my maiden name, after a brief spell of being both Mrs First Husband and Ms My Name, partly because I found mucking around adapting to a new name disconcerting and partly because I already had a good reputation in my profession and as a freelancer, keeping the recognition was important. However, I am never offended if a member of his family addresses letters or cards to me as Mrs His Name.

Meanwhile, absentdaughter married when, still a teenager, she first came to New Zealand and took her husband's surname. She then changed her first name because she absolutely hated the name her father and I had chosen when she was born. A couple of years later she gave birth to a son who is registered in his father's name. Not very long afterwards, she and her husband were divorced and some considerable time after that she remarried, having already had four children beforehand – all registered in their father's name – and has had two more since – also registered in their father's name.

Are you keeping up at the back?

Anyway, neither she nor her husband have had any difficulties about the various names. The only problem was when Mr absent and I were applying for residency in New Zealand on the basis of family sponsorship. Providing legal certificates to prove our family connection and explaining the variations in names was quite a mission.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Ameliarose Mon 29-Apr-19 05:48:04

Grandma Pita ,love it

M0nica Sun 28-Apr-19 21:05:32

grin

ReadyMeals Sun 28-Apr-19 20:16:09

M0nica, I'd have thought Beige was a more suitable name?

M0nica Sun 28-Apr-19 18:26:20

I believe Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper's children have her surname as having gone through the bullying and teasing that he went through as a child with his surname, he didn't want his children to suffer as he did.

I have heard of other families doing something similar and one family who decided to choose an entirely different surname for all of them. Mr Brown and Miss White and children all became the Red family.

MamaCaz Sun 28-Apr-19 17:16:00

Apart from now rather outdated (English) tradition, why on earth is it "better" to give a child its fathers name? Where is the actual logic?

I wonder if it is purely age that dictates which side of this argument we are most likely to be on, with the younger grans on one side and the older ones on the other ?

notanan2 Sun 28-Apr-19 17:07:30

I dont think that double barrell names scream anything any more

However it is just odd and unusual in this country give the child a brand new surname that it doesnt share with either parent.

With the parents chosing not to double barrell themselves, and start a new family name that way, I don't think the MIL will be the last person to get this wrong. OP may as well just grow a thick skin about it since they chose to be unusual.

MamaCaz Sun 28-Apr-19 17:06:45

Just a thought: some posters have suggested returning incorrectly-named post with "no such person at this address", or words to that effect.
I assume that they mean getting the postal service to return it? But it couldn't be returned, could it, as there is extremely unlikely to be a return address included that would enable them to do that.

I might have misunderstood, and these posters might be suggesting that the OP herself readdress (and re- stamp) such mail. If that is the case, it seems like a waste of both time and money for something that the mil has already been told many times.

M0nica Sun 28-Apr-19 16:36:29

Double-barreled names ....................... just screams 'illegitimate

What do you mean? Who now cares a dot whether a child's parents are married or not?

Sparklefizz Sun 28-Apr-19 16:24:47

The Icelandic setup with names only works because the total population of the whole country is less than 400,000. I can't see it working with many millions of people.

starbox Sun 28-Apr-19 13:51:23

I quite agree with MIL that it sounds vastly better and less affected to give the child its father's surname only, but hey ho, that's up to you. Double-barreled names used to imply 'posh' but now they immediately indicate to many of us that the parents arent wed. Even if they are...it just screams 'illegitimate.' But as I say, that's up to you...

Nonnie Sun 28-Apr-19 12:19:47

Thanks Jaxie I'm never sure if people do it deliberately or if it is because they are somewhat 'limited in the brain'. However the reasonable gns far outnumber such people which is why I'm still here. Funny how some names only seem to crop up when certain people post, reminds me of school children getting together because they can't think for themselves so have to follow a leader. sad

Callistemon Sun 28-Apr-19 11:38:46

Thank you, NotSpaghetti - that probably explains why DH's ancestors adopted a double barrelled surname for a short while, since dropped - and why it is so difficult to trace Welsh ancestry (all have the same limited number of surnames derived from father's forename!).

Jaxie Sun 28-Apr-19 11:31:12

I'm with you Nonnie; I have had some hurtful posts directed against me - what's the point? The nasty poster is only bolstering up their own sense of superiority having little thought for what might be the distressed state of mind of the gran they are sniping at. As someone once said to me when I criticised a third party, " But that's their reality, not yours." That made me think and keep my negative thoughts to myself on such occasions. Love one another, even if it's hard to do.

trisher Sun 28-Apr-19 11:05:18

Just a couple of things. I have taught children whose surname matched neither of their parents, who had their surname changed when their mother remarried, and who had traditional surnames. The one thing you learned was to address the parent by the name they were using and the child by the name it was currently registered as. Not doing so could create a huge hoo-ha!
But I do know that children when they grow up often choose to use another name and they get very annoyed if you use the old one.

Nonnie Sun 28-Apr-19 10:26:49

NoSpog why on earth would it 'disappoint' me? As I have previously suggested it is always good to read posts properly before responding,