Gransnet forums

AIBU

This "pro women" thing?

(163 Posts)
phoenix Tue 21-May-19 20:03:50

Just listening to Front Row on Radio 4, they were discussing the Cannes Film Festival (I think, I was washing up at the time blush and with regard to (again, I think, but could be wrong) the Palm D'Or for Best Director, the presenter said "And lets hope it goes to a woman!"

ERM, lets hope it goes to the person who deserves it!

I am a feminist, in that I think that everyone should be treated as equal, regardless of their gender, but this sort of attitude really gets on my wick/up my nose (chose your own!)

Statements like "Companies need more women/ethnic minorities/disabled people at board level" are just as annoying.

PEOPLE should be appointed to roles based on their ability, NOT their gender, colour or how able bodied they are!

I sometimes imagine some head of HR saying " Well, all we need now it to appoint a disabled person from an ethnic minority, who is LGBGT, and all the the boxes are ticked!"

(Dons tin helmet, gets behind the sofa and swears to just stick to posting about cats in future.)

rosecarmel Wed 22-May-19 00:25:47

I listened to an interview with Sarah Jessica Parker, about a show she acted in and produced, and what it's like to work with other women who solely produce on the same show- She said it was difficult, and that she realizes some women still operate within the confines of what they picked up from their male mentors in regards to how they treat women, but that she was perfectly willing and willing to be patient breaking down those old barriers-

FarNorth Wed 22-May-19 01:08:33

Assuming there is equal opportunity in training and in getting work, level playing field etc, the comment "Let's hope it goes to a woman" could mean "Let's hope a woman turns out to be best, as this didn't happen when it wasn't a fair competition."

If all that equality isn't in place, though, the comment could mean "Let's hope that a woman nevertheless manages to break through and win, against the odds."

BradfordLass72 Wed 22-May-19 03:25:13

Some years ago, our government decided on what the stupid called 'reverse racism'
Companies and institutions such as universities, had to show they had a tiny, tiny percentage of Maori in the ranks.

Why? Because for decades, bright, capable Maori had been victims of those who decided who got jobs and places at uni. Predominantly white, male and prejudiced against anyone who wasn't of their ilk. .

Some people got up on their hind legs and said this sort of discrimination was wrong.

They hadn't been as vocal about discrimination when for the previous decades, only white students were taking university places.

Why shouldn't a promising young Maori engineer have the same chances as his/her graduate peers? Under the previous system s/he didn't.

Why shouldn't a woman, a disabled person, a trans-gender person be given the same chances as everyone else if they can do the job equally well?
But the fact is, if the 'deciders' are prejudiced, they are not.

In the past, these deciders had the arrogance to bar Jews or Catholics from sports and social clubs and that changed only slowly, when public opinion changed when people began to speak out about the unfairness.

So that's why we need pro legislation, opinions and rules because when people speak out about unfairness, we begin to listen (some of us anyway) and rethink our own attitudes.

Left to our own devices, human bigotry will hold sway and win - as it has been doing for generations.

Any woman (or Catholic, or Jew, or trans-gender, or disabled person) can tell you that.

Johno Wed 22-May-19 04:46:37

There is absolutely no real cause for concern in regard to equality for women. There is a peak of feminism which hates men. This is perpetuated by the media. It is deliberate. But when I see these foul-mouthed women holding banners saying ... More women in the Mines... Women must be in front line battle during war.... women first for fighting criminals in riot gear.... no, you don't see that do you. The current group of women in parliament, in recent times, are literally the most useless bunch ever known. This is because they were pushed to the position because they are women not based on merit and ability alone. The men are also the most useless bunch of morons. I never, ever accept or judge a position by gender equality. If you are good enough, you will get the position.

gillybob Wed 22-May-19 07:19:53

My husband doesn’t like the football commentary by women

Me neither Urmstongran they are mostly not very good and as your DH says they just don’t get the terminology right. They don’t conjure up the same kind of atmosphere as an experienced male commentator does.

LullyDully Wed 22-May-19 07:57:42

I.understand that was once said about women newsreaders.

MamaCaz Wed 22-May-19 08:05:21

If the women football commentators don't speak in one long string of stupid clichés, as most of their male counterparts do, I for one think that can only be a good thing! ?

NanKate Wed 22-May-19 08:20:25

If anymore females have articles written about them in the papers declaring they want to find themselves or have more ME time, I shall be sick. ?

maryeliza54 Wed 22-May-19 08:50:57

Lully did you listen to The Reunion on R4 a few weeks ago on this very issue? It might be on catch up if you didn’t

maryeliza54 Wed 22-May-19 08:52:25

Here it is

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004sbb

sodapop Wed 22-May-19 09:03:03

In trying to redress the balance things have gone too far. I agree it should be the person most suited/qualified for the job who gets it regardless of gender, ethnicity etc.
Paddyann I have been retired for 14 years now but even back then we were not allowed to ask women applicants the baby question.

maryeliza54 Wed 22-May-19 09:22:57

I’d really like to see evidence that the best person for a job isn’t getting it soda and examples of how things have gone too far

KatyK Wed 22-May-19 09:27:54

Oh good. It's not just me then. We should have a female Dr Who, a female Bond. Why should we? More women MPs. Yes fine. As long as they're getting the jobs because of merit. Are women so insecure that they need this? Personally I've never felt inferior to men.

maryeliza54 Wed 22-May-19 09:28:01

www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jul/24/maternity-leave-discrimination-54000-women-lose-jobs-each-year-ehrc-report

Did you mean this type of too far? The figures are a few years old but things have certainly not got any better.

JohnD Wed 22-May-19 10:53:18

Quite right to reward the best person. However I think one Lady has done a lot of harm to the women's movement by her lies and stubborn stance in Parliament. Does she ever think of any one else?

David0205 Wed 22-May-19 10:59:48

“Quite right to reward the best person. However I think one Lady has done a lot of harm to the women's movement by her lies and stubborn stance in Parliament. Does she ever think of any one else?”

Are you thinking of Thatcher or Merkle or May!

HannahLoisLuke Wed 22-May-19 11:00:45

I'm fed up with the 'women quota'
It's happening more and more in tv and radio, and not necessarily for the better.
Look at how the BBC mucked up Simon Mayo's perfectly enjoyable Drivetime programme by bringing in Jo Whiley who was already presenting her own great early evening programme. And got rid of the lovely Matt Williams, whose sense of humour made my day, every day.
It didn't work, Jo is now back to her evening programme, Simon has decamped to a remote, hard to find channel and Matt has just disappeared. The programme is now hosted by Sarah Cox. Nothing against her, she's great, but not on Drivetime. Can't listen any more.
Now, they've done the same on late night Radio5Live's Phil Williams and replaced him with Sarah Brett who seems to spend the time giggling with her girlfriends. The whole character if the programme has changed and I hate it.
Woman's Hour? Last listened about ten years ago.

BRAVEBETH Wed 22-May-19 11:30:09

However realism tells me I would hate a job which involved the telephone. I would not expect any sane person to give me a job in a call centre. However when I worked with disabled children in a boarding school. Everything was done to make them 'normal but really encumbered them with cumbersome arms of legs which they hated . We will never be the same nor should we be. I will never be hearing.

paddyann Wed 22-May-19 11:30:52

Sodapop there was a young woman on TV news just yesterday who was sacked from her job in a childrens charity ...just the day after she told her boss she was pregnant .It still happens .She's taking him to court.

ReadyMeals Wed 22-May-19 11:35:12

I don't see how wanting total equality makes anyone a feminist. That word immediately strikes me as favoring femininity. I'd say I'm a peoplist but then I remember I like animals to be treated well also. Maybe I am a fairist.

gillyknits Wed 22-May-19 11:40:00

Saw a news item on our local t.v. news saying that 30% of businesses take on less women of child bearing age because they might need to go on maternity leave! If only men could bear children then we would have greater equality!

maryeliza54 Wed 22-May-19 11:46:19

Wanting things to be more equal is not favouring women ( or disabled people or bame people) but is about wanting to attempt to address centuries of structural inequalities imposed by those with power ( often male, white and physically able).

SiobhanSharpe Wed 22-May-19 12:05:02

Indeed it does still happen paddyann and more insidious discrimination has not gone away either. Misogyny is alive and not only well, but thriving.
Just reading some of the posts here reinforces that, plus that women are our own worst enemies sometimes.
It's hard to eradicate innate sexism if that's the way we were brought up but the matter remains that women remain at a disadvantage in many ways. And the fact that we've had two women prime ministers (against hundreds of men) does not change that.
Why shouldn't we try to level the playing field for women, the disabled, ethnic minorities and gay people to make it fairer for them?
Men in positions of power still tend to appoint and promote people like themselves. Why not make them at least think about what they are doing and why?
And before you decry Womens' Hour it had an interesting piece today on how current austerity and government cuts, impact women far more than anyone else. We should all be aware of that.
I am proud to be a feminist but I certainly don't hate men, I even have a few of my own I'm quite fond of.
Men who squeal about man-haters just sound pathetic and scared; plenty of women hate the patriarchal system and are campaigning against it so that women can advance by our own efforts without societal hindrance.
But I've never seen any actual hatred towards actual men -- despite much whinging by men feeling threatened by 'uppity women' who need to be put back in their place.
Ain't gonna happen, buddy.

Craftycat Wed 22-May-19 12:12:44

Oh I do so agree!
One of my WIs is just starting a discussion group & my first topic is going to be-' Women's 'Rights' - Have we gone too far?
I get so fed up of watching the rugby on TV & seeing a blonde female doing all the pre & after match talks etc. I'd rather hear from someone who knows what it is like to be on the pitch not an over made-up -sorry but only word is 'Bimbo'- pretending to know what she is talking about & not preening to the camera. Don't watch football so no idea of that is the same.
The best person for the job without a doubt & if that IS a woman then Hooray!

Craftycat Wed 22-May-19 12:13:40

Meant preening- not- not preening! I type too fast when I am cross.