Gransnet forums

AIBU

Poor old Sarah Vine

(111 Posts)
Elvive Wed 29-May-19 23:06:43

Imagine the best career move you can make is the Daily Fail and some nonsense about anti depressants?

KatyK Thu 30-May-19 10:01:30

Well said Beckett. It's exhausting.

JenniferEccles Thu 30-May-19 10:02:27

It always amuses me that those who claim to hate the Mail (and they are of course usually unoriginal enough to refer to it as the Daily Fail) quite clearly do read it, hence this thread.

I suspect Sarah Vine will always be judged negatively by some, purely and simply because she is married to Michael Gove.

Poppyred Thu 30-May-19 10:03:10

I agree Kittylester! They’re out in force again this morning! Pity their grandkids. ???

Poppyred Thu 30-May-19 10:06:21

If it was Polly Toynbee writing in the Guardian, they would be lapping it up.

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 10:06:56

I really don't like people like her putting forward her personal views on this. Just because she has been on antidepressants that did not agree with her in the past, does not mean antidepressants are not the right treatment for others. She is obviously finding the one she is on now (sertraline) helpful or she would be coming off of it. That is not an antidepressant that is difficult to come off.

Think she should keep her nose out of other people's medical issues.

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 10:07:51

Oh don’t be so ridiculous Heb of course I bloody read right across the print media - don’t you? God help us from your type of post

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 10:08:33

Heb =Jen damn phone

Gonegirl Thu 30-May-19 10:10:14

I suppose now, with this kind of publicity, and the new proposed NICE guidelines, doctors are going to think it is the right thing to not prescribe these meds. People will suffer unnecessarily.

gillybob Thu 30-May-19 10:10:47

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sarah-vine-daily-mail-michael-gove_uk_5cee4728e4b0ae671059401b?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAALZQ9z-BrD7eggsWgdgqHoMbWCIUaEaz6pwocL29Bg3d73lLx0CIg6kTELL1VShTjq86KpmAViYdVNdy5baA6zd2h-sVz8pL_xacvQz7akhoh62Tu4-YeOkuWWHfjpdySHa9mOHLKVZkBvRA673mXYWSLn_L9uLmz029OXyVjSRb

Sorry for very long link. Huffington Post on how SV is using her column to fight her husbands bid to become the next Tory Leader.

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 10:10:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

gillybob Thu 30-May-19 10:13:24

I don't see anyone "mocking mental illness" for goodness sake.

I just dislike the fact that SV is effectively using her column to big her husband up for "the job" which is what I assumed this thread was about????

Urmstongran Thu 30-May-19 10:20:29

maryeliza can I ask if you are alright? You seem very het up and sweary, out of all proportion in my opinion.

Genuine concern.
Not a dig.
?

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 10:26:42

I don’t want or need your concern Urm genuine or otherwise. I detest the hypocrisy about SV writing about MH issues and the inadequate care available without addressing the underlying causes and contributions when she’s part of the political system that basically doesn’t give a flying fig about the NHS apart from nice little sound bites. As I’ve said, I think this celeb metoo can do much more ham than good. I’ll chsnge my mind when services really improve and the benefits system. Hypocrisy makes me sick

JenniferEccles Thu 30-May-19 10:35:46

Oh yes, the sanctimonious Guardian! Spare us from that!

trisher Thu 30-May-19 10:41:07

OK I didn't know who SV was until I read this thread. Do I applaud the wider discussion of depression and mental health issues of course I do. Many years ago anti-depressants got me through a really bad period in my life and I think anyone who critcises them should do so with care. You never know who is using them and who really needs them and what effect your criticism might have on their current situation. The timing of her comments is questionable. On a lighter note if I were married to Michael Gove I think I might well be depressed.
But there could also be a discussion on how if you build your life purely on personal ambition with no social conscience you might find that things do eventually rebound on you. Altruism and concern are not only important to others they are important to the self.

EllanVannin Thu 30-May-19 10:41:37

I'd be on anti-depressants if I was married to Michael Gove ! I was unaware of that too.

trisher Thu 30-May-19 10:42:24

EllanVannin SNAP!

KatyK Thu 30-May-19 10:43:31

I suffer from severe anxiety so I'm not 'having a go' but there do seem to be a lot of 'celebs' jumping on the mental health bandwagon. Of course it's a good thing to bring it out into the open but sometimes I wonder..

EllanVannin Thu 30-May-19 10:46:29

I've heard of Tim Vine the comedian who was in Not going out " , he's hilarious. Probably related ?

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 10:49:19

EV not related but TV is the brother of the obnoxious Jeremy Vine. I knew their dad - he was nice.

kittylester Thu 30-May-19 10:58:40

I have suffered abuse because of my husband's choice of job - I found it pathetic.

I agree with your point katy.

EllanVannin Thu 30-May-19 11:54:44

KatyK I'm with you there on mental health and bandwagon. Half of them don't know the true/real meaning of the word nor the illness. It annoys me greatly that the illness can be used " lightly " and even as an excuse !
Many years ago after becoming an SRN I had a stint at working in an ( asylum ) as it was known in the late 50's. An eye-opener doesn't come close. It was mental illness in its raw state and when anyone mentions " mental illness/issues " I have flashbacks to the 50's when this sort of thing was REAL.
I think I only lasted for 1 year as seeing poor depressive women locked up with psychotics wasn't my ideal.
It's a miracle I didn't end up with a hump on my back at the weight of the bunch of keys I carried around with me---------plus " mental health issues " myself. Like a prison.
No doubt those who experienced such a place today would have PTSD with counselling thrown in !

Callistemon Thu 30-May-19 11:54:57

Do I applaud the wider discussion of depression and mental health issues of course I do
Me too, trisher.
A close relative of mine was prescribed medication to get her through a bad period in her life which resulted in her being unable to get off it and seemed to make everything a lot worse. It is only about 20 years later that she is beginning to embrace life again.

I think it is stooping very low to poke fun at anyone who does share their stories in the hope of helping others, OP.

Callistemon Thu 30-May-19 11:58:26

I suppose now, with this kind of publicity, and the new proposed NICE guidelines, doctors are going to think it is the right thing to not prescribe these meds. People will suffer unnecessarily.
An interesting point, Gonegirl
I wonder how much medication is prescribed unnecessarily when other avenues should be available (but are probably not!).
Being depressed because of certain prevailing circumstances is not the same as clinical depression or other conditions.

Callistemon Thu 30-May-19 11:59:43

I haven't seen the article by Sarah Vine btw.