Gransnet forums

AIBU

Poor old Sarah Vine

(110 Posts)
Elvive Wed 29-May-19 23:06:43

Imagine the best career move you can make is the Daily Fail and some nonsense about anti depressants?

Callistemon Wed 29-May-19 23:07:19

confused

LullyDully Thu 30-May-19 07:51:46

I thought this was about her husband's bid for grandeur?

gillybob Thu 30-May-19 07:53:22

And horror of horrors she has to take her own bins out.

At least Mrs May’s DH did that.

Urmstongran Thu 30-May-19 08:02:54

I haven’t had depression Elvive but know of people who have and as she happens to be one of them, then I think it’s good admitting she too finds it awful trying to get off the medication as speaking out may reassure others.

I think your comment is a little harsh.

Chewbacca Thu 30-May-19 08:15:26

It's a funny old world isn't it? 99% of the population is relieved that depression, and other mental health issues, are being recognised and accepted as something that can affect any one of us, irrespective of who, or what, you are and is no longer something to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

Elvive is in the 1% who sees it as some nonsense about anti depressants.

Is that because you don't like Sarah Vine? Or the Daily Mail? Or that you don't believe that depression exists in the first place Elvive? hmm

kittylester Thu 30-May-19 08:19:24

I quite like Sarah Vine and enjoy her columns.blush

Alima Thu 30-May-19 08:48:58

Think it is a matter of opinion. Do not agree with you at all. Do you have an axe to grind Elvive?

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 08:52:33

All I know is that SV frequently writes rubbish in the DM and would be no supporter of increasing taxation to improve mental health services.

merlotgran Thu 30-May-19 08:54:43

Sarah Vine wrote an article in the Daily Mail last year about her battle with depression so it's hardly a career move.

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 09:01:21

I just read her article - she mentions the GPS who say that prescribing pills is all they can do as other services aren’t available. SV didn’t address that issue did she, or the role her husband and his mates have had in starving the NHS of resources, or the raft of mental health issues caused or exacerbated by our fractured infrastructure - housing, benefits, jobs, social and child care. . She’s a damn hypocrite and should just shut up about her personal struggles and care a bit more about the wider picture. But she won’t will she - one pathetic article of hers will fund a lot of therapy for her.

maryeliza54 Thu 30-May-19 09:02:49

Everything SV writes is a career move - she’s married to MG -would be PM - ffs..

Chewbacca Thu 30-May-19 09:03:44

Quite possibly so Maryeliza, but Sarah Vine's political stance apart, I personally find it distasteful to dismiss anyone's admittance to having mental health problems as some nonsense. Andrea Leadsom; Dr Sarah Wollaston; Kevan Jones and others have all confirmed that they have sought treatment for their MH issues. I don't necessarily agree with their political views either but I applaud them for talking about it and helping to remove the stigma that remains with 1% of the population. and Elvive

Elvive Thu 30-May-19 09:20:03

I wish she was using her prestige to talk about MH issues and specifically depression, in a helpful and meaningful way.

Beckett Thu 30-May-19 09:23:49

I think this is more about taking a pot shot at Sarah Vine and her husband more than anything else.

As someone who has suffered with depression (and still do) I can only hope SV doesn't read GN because it could cause her to suffer a relapse. When depression hits - every comment, every action is taken as a personal criticism and can send you back down that deep dark well.

Elvive Thu 30-May-19 09:25:15

Somehow, I think she will be OK. I don't think her ideas should be plastered all over the paper in a sensational way.

Beckett Thu 30-May-19 09:29:21

For years depression was something you hid - it was something to be ashamed of. The more people who come out and admit they have suffered removes that shame and means more people will look for help. It doesn't matter how rich, apparently successful or "happy" you appear to the outside world, inside you are dying.

The most exhausting thing is putting up a "front" when with people and then going home and collapsing.

Elvive Thu 30-May-19 09:35:06

It's great that it is now more freely discussed but I put my faith in a good GP, not an article in the Mail.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 30-May-19 09:43:06

Anything that makes it easier to be open about suffering from depression is surely a good thing, regardless of what newspaper/media outlets it is reported in/on.

Depression is not “just having a bad day” most of us on here have “bad days”. Depression is all encompassing, affects every decision, action, the whole of ones self.

Taking antidepressants is not a lifestyle choice - they help to give you back your life.

Depression is not anything to do with what political party you support or who your husband is.

gillybob Thu 30-May-19 09:47:43

I thought this was about her husband's bid for grandeur?

Erm me too *LullyDully or I wouldn't have joined in. I know she wrote a piece recently in which she said something on the lines of "her DH would make an excellent PM but didn't take the bins out" or some other tosh.

Urmstongran Thu 30-May-19 09:52:00

I don’t think you quite got the response you were hoping for with this thread Elvive

HAZBEEN Thu 30-May-19 09:53:58

I put my faith in a good GP
If only we all had a good GP! Depression needs to be addressed and brought out in the open by whatever means. Even if you dont agree with someones politics (or their husbands) we need to be more aware of others who are suffering in silence caused by the shame because others dismiss us.
Having read the column that SV wrote I took the opinion she was talkiing more about the problems of anti depression drugs and the side effects.

kittylester Thu 30-May-19 09:56:54

I despair of the vitriol on gn, sometimes. You'd think as grandparents we be a lot less judgemental and much kinder.

EllanVannin Thu 30-May-19 09:58:05

Who's Sarah Vine ??

Anniebach Thu 30-May-19 10:00:40

Haven’t read the article but I applaud her for speaking out , sadly there will always be those who mock mental illness but the numbers are decreasing.