Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour's son asking to use our wifi

(98 Posts)
nevesnan Sun 16-Jun-19 15:22:55

Hi everyone, I don't know if I am being unreasonable over this but the adult son of our neighbour (who we don't really get on with. long history) knocked at our door to ask to use our wifi.

I told him we didn't have wifi (we do) and he left. Is is a normal thing to use your neighbours wifi. He doesn't live there by the way he was visiting.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Jun-19 09:27:34

Anja, if he hasn’t got WIFI , how will he know the neighbours have got it?

jusnoneed Mon 17-Jun-19 10:17:21

Most public houses/cafes etc have free wi-fi these days so if he needs something online that badly he should go to somewhere like that.

Your address is not shown on the list of local wi-fi, only the supplier, type and signal strength etc so he wouldn't know if you have it or not.

Urmstongran Mon 17-Jun-19 10:27:14

Because Auntieflo as he would try to use internet on his phone a list of possible suppliers will come up.

Auntieflo Mon 17-Jun-19 10:37:42

Thank you Urmstongran. Technophobe that I am, I thought it might be ‘hidden’ somehow. Suppose nothing is these days!

jessycake Mon 17-Jun-19 10:39:05

Don't share it , all his family and any visiting friends could use it . Your neighbours cannot see if you have wifi , they may see several local signals, but you cannot identify which house they come from .

Daisyboots Mon 17-Jun-19 10:40:57

That's why it's best not to name your wifi as some people do then no one knows which one is yours.

notanan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:42:00

Anja, if he hasn’t got WIFI , how will he know the neighbours have got it?

All the wifis in range show up on tablets/laptops/phones

notanan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:43:01

That's why it's best not to name your wifi as some people do then no one knows which one is yours.

Its pretty obvious anyway, the strongest one is most likely next door's!

EllanVannin Mon 17-Jun-19 10:46:38

What a scrounger ! Apart from the family, never let an outsider use the wi-fi. Crime of sorts springs to my mind at such a request, drug dealing for instance where an ISP can be traced-------right back to yourself and unwittingly brought into your domain as being part of it.

polnan Mon 17-Jun-19 10:48:05

ooh, I can be silly, and I think I would have shared, but I am also very scared of IT,,
so if I come across this, I won`t... I share mine with my gks when they come visit, but that is different..
don`t think we should share to someone we don`t know..

quizqueen Mon 17-Jun-19 10:50:57

If people want to use a service, they need to pay for it- tell him that.

dianne2265 Mon 17-Jun-19 10:51:11

You definitely did the right thing.

Saggi Mon 17-Jun-19 10:54:03

The only people who access my wi-fi are rellies and friends .

Nannan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:00:05

Those who think he can see its you specifically who has the wifi are wrong- so dont fret over that( unless the wifi has been changed to one with your name in it- like my neighbours has!) It also shows old connections still on the list like our old one from original phoneline- so i wouldnt worry over this- it wont let him connect without the password so you are fine to say youve not got it- the ones showing could be any house around you( unless youre the only 2 houses in the middle of a field! Lol) you can also change name of yours to something totally different& unrecognisable.But you are right to be cautious as maybe the reason they get cut off is not because of bills but because hes downloading illegal stuff( even one my sons was unknowingly streaming some copyright music from a music site he thought was okay-when we got told it wasnt he never went on that one again- but the implication was we would be disconected if he had!And no i wouldnt give password to people i never get on with and only my family get it when they visit.And neighbours like that are a pain- i had some years ago and it started with a bit of painkilling medicine for the child then escalated to a regular borrowing of things some which never came back unless i went to ask.also when they had their electric cut off she asked if she could put a cable extension through just to watch wimbledon!(i relented in end just for the semi- finals& final then removed cable!) I couldnt understand it im not a tennis fangrin

Heather60 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:05:38

I would definitely say no ! You could lay yourself wide open to him abusing it and you have no way of controlling that!! We had newneighbors ask to use ours on the pretext they couldn't get connected for months by BT. I was amazed how quickly they were connected after that !

Nannan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:09:00

Some of these replies make me realise im not as big a technophobe/ beginner as i thought i was! Lol. I thought everyone knew a list shows up if someone clicks to try connect?It wont show which yours EXACTLY is though, unless you change yours to something which includes your actual name in it- you can change it to whatever you want- even a sentence- it doesnt neccessarily mean strongest signal is next doors either- as some signals are much weaker than others.

Nannan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:16:32

Anyway most smartphones(if he has one) have their own wifi these days so he'l just have to pay for that& use it instead wont he? If he asks again just say " hasnt your phone got its own wifi then?- just call in phone shop& they'l help you with that"-then close door.Or just tell him " oh i cant be bothered with all that new fangled internet nonsence"- itl be so beleivable, he wont bother you again probably- even if he does think youre old fogeys!grin

ElaineI Mon 17-Jun-19 11:17:26

Absolutely not and make sure your's is secure and password protected. Sounds very suspicious and DH would not allow it. He will be able to see you have wifi though so I wouldn't lie - just say you don't share it.

Lizsan Mon 17-Jun-19 11:18:45

For those who mentioned being able to see their WiFi and know they have - he will be able to see all providers within the area but not see where they are coming from. I used to use my upstairs neighbours wifi with their permission as I didnt have a connection in my place and it worked for both of us as I paid half their Bill.

Nannan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:20:57

And it would still show on list even for a line no longer used( like our old one from previous tenant as its a different phoneline) so you could just say you had it cut off.

Jaycee5 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:25:07

I would be very wary of letting anyone use my wi-fi but definitely not someone that I barely knew and didn't think much of.
You never know what they might download or what they can get into.

Nannan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:27:36

And springychicken? I think youre being a bit naìve.and too trusting.sorry.hmm

EthelJ Mon 17-Jun-19 11:28:38

Most people have smart phones these days do om not sure why he couldn't have used his data on that or bought more data if he needed it.

Nannan2 Mon 17-Jun-19 11:35:12

Because hes a scrounger and/ or doing something dodgy is why EthelJ! Or downloading music( even legally) is very costly so why use his own if he can put it on someone elses bill?

Pepine Mon 17-Jun-19 11:46:43

Unless your WiFi identifies you (by name or house name for example), he will have no way of telling if you have it or not. If this is the case or he challenges you simply say that you don’t have a guest WiFi option which is obviously what he is asking as we all know giving out your personal passwords for anything makes you vulnerable so you never do it.