Gransnet forums

AIBU

If you had given your grandson for Xmas...

(81 Posts)
Gonegirl Mon 01-Jul-19 10:40:32

...a really nice red hooded sweatshirt, that he was really pleased with at the time, and then you happened, in June, to see on Instagram that he had spray-painted "Back Off BP" all over the front of it, would you be a little bit put out?

It had the slogan, "I just want to smell like a campfire" on the front. He loves camping. It was not a cheap hoodie.

And would you put a very mild little message, such as "Oi! I gave you that sweatshirt and look what you've done to it!" in the Instagram comments box?

GPatz Tue 23-Jul-19 08:45:50

Being a snowflake obviously runs in the family. It's an item of clothing.

Peonyrose Sat 06-Jul-19 06:49:56

I would be surprised if they still had it 6 months later. Wouldn't mind at all about his way of protesting. Good for him. If I were to make a comment on Instagram, they would come off it and use another media. ?

Gonegirl Wed 03-Jul-19 10:37:34

* Bibbity* grin

Bibbity Wed 03-Jul-19 10:24:25

Would I be annoyed - Yes.
Would I say something - No.

However. I am sure your GS still loves you. You are a brilliant grandparent.

However (again) at 17 there is a rule that he must be hard done by by at least one person. And it’s now your turn. I’m sure this will blow over. His mum or Dad will probably do some massive indiscretion soon and you’ll be forgiven.

Gonegirl Wed 03-Jul-19 09:55:57

ElaineI Will ask DS about this as maybe strikes a slight recognition!

Don't tell him I've put it on here! shock grin (Don't mind really)

I tried to get a picture up but I can't make it load onto the thread.

Grandma2213 Wed 03-Jul-19 00:03:17

I bought my DGS a red hoody with a slogan about his football team and he loved it. He lives with me and his Dad part of the week and as usual he took it back to his Mum's and never brought it back here to wear again so I bought him another one. Guess what?... That one has ended up at mum's too along with two other of his favourites, several pairs of shorts, trackie bottoms, T shirts and his swimming shorts. The problem is he never wears them there as he never goes out or changes from school uniform! I've refused to buy any more so he tends to put on his team football kit! There'll be trouble when the season starts and he's lost half of it. angry

Eloethan Tue 02-Jul-19 23:53:22

He's wearing it. He's just adapted it to reflect his own views. I don't think you should feel upset or offended and, in any case, it would be a bad idea to express your annoyance.

I believe BP has a very bad record in terms of serious degradation of less wealthy countries' natural environments, eg Mexico and Colombia.

ElaineI Tue 02-Jul-19 23:14:11

Gonegirl thanks for the explanation. Will ask DS about this as maybe strikes a slight recognition! I think I would just be happy it was being worn and maybe vaguely proud he liked it enough to add this slogan. It's very hard to get the hoodies, teeshirts right as they change their favourite things so quickly and my DGS1 is only 5! However DD1 has given DD2 passed on clothes so now seeing them on DGS2! DGD has never varied - fairies and Disney Princesses - maybe that's a girl thing but only 2 (going on 12) so will wait and see.

justwokeup Tue 02-Jul-19 21:22:55

He obviously wanted to wear the hoodie so he must like it. Just thought he'd customise the slogan. I'd embrace his inventiveness tbh. Smart GS. And yes, never ever make a comment on social media shock. Not cool! grin

optimist Tue 02-Jul-19 20:48:06

I used to buy expensive presents for my son and he used to give them away to friends who admired them, once I passed a friend of his on the street who was wearing a warm coat I had bought my student son. When I asked why he had given it away he said "he needed it more than me". He is now 52 and I have just had to accept that he is not interested in possessions so I find alternatives. His choice

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:37:35

When you've given a present it's theirs to do whatever they wish with it. It's too late now, but if I was miffed about what he'd done I'd keep my thoughts to myself.

blue60 Tue 02-Jul-19 17:13:17

I kinda like the way people personalise their things. I'd be pleased he thought it good enough to do that.

Enjoy his individualism, it has gven him pleasure which is what giving is all about xx

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 16:28:32

Yes, you're right pinkjj27 . I know he still loves me really. smile

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 16:27:18

"See him" is easier said than done. Even his mother doesn't see much of him these days! grin

PamelaJ1 Tue 02-Jul-19 15:41:41

Well Gonegirl you will have to forget it and move on or try what they did in the olden days, see him, ring him or send a postcard.

pinkjj27 Tue 02-Jul-19 15:24:17

Gonegirl of course he still loves you, he may sulk or ignore you for a few days its all normal teenage stuff.
It will take more than that to break the unconditional bond that's if he’s anything like my grandson that is.

Johno Tue 02-Jul-19 14:53:58

Not at all. You don't buy someone something to keep control over it. He is not you.

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 14:14:59

It was British petroleum they were demonstrating against. Some of them were dressed as take-offs of Romeo and Juliet. Called themselves Petroleo and Fuliet.

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 14:07:45

So, the overall opinion is that, Yes, I was being unreasonable.

I agree. Totally. Howl!!! Feel so bad. Can't even message him to say sorry cos he won't put me on his Whatsapp. hmm

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 14:04:24

wink

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 14:04:08

HannahLoisLuke ^ but don't worry GG your grandson obviously loves his hoodie^.

Yeah, but does he still love me?!! [worried emoji]

bluebirdwsm Tue 02-Jul-19 14:02:57

I would be proud of his social conscience and strength of character to display how he feels.
And I would not post anything online because for everyone to see and it could have unforeseen consequences for the recipient.
Your grandson is developing his own individual unique personality and also wearing something you bought him, which is a compliment in itself.

FC61 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:58:06

I would amuse myself and punish him , by having a matching T shirt made which says Back Off BP and giving it to him for his next birthday/Xmas ! But that’s my sense of humour.

PamelaJ1 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:48:24

Well I wouldn’t touch Instagram with a barge pole.
Shame that what is put on there isn’t forgotten in an instant.

Joplin Tue 02-Jul-19 13:43:52

grandtanteJE65 - it's never too late for anyone to change, teenager or otherwise.