Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit MEP’s behaviour!

(114 Posts)
ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 10:11:56

I’m disgusted with these newly elected MEPs! Turning their backs when the EU anthem is played. This is appalling and they should be suspended indefinitely.
I’m ashamed of a nation that can do this. BTW it was reported in the Independent.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:08:15

It is a timely reminder that the Nazis did exactly the same in the Reichstag - they turned their backs on a democratically elected body, just as the BP did in the EU parliament.

Those who voted for these scum, should be calling for their deselection.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:08:32

Joelsnan sorry just seen your post, do not think there will be much if any condemnation of the Lib Dem’s??

quizqueen Tue 02-Jul-19 12:09:38

Why does a Trading Block require an anthem in the first place? Also, an army, a currency, a flag, a Parliament in two different countries and 5 unelected, highly paid but non tax paying Presidents. Wake up, everyone, because it is building an Empire.
I support the Brexiteer MEPs totally in whatever they chose to do to expose and bring down this corrupt organisation. The EU deserves no respect; it wants to destroy the UK's chances of making Brexit a success because they are so terrified that other member states (they are no longer countries in their own right) will want to leave their 'wonderful' organisation.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:15:37

qq tell me the difference between the two groups who turned their backs on democratically elected bodies?

Tell me, will they turn their backs on the lucrative salaries?

I would be ashamed to admit I voted for such scum.

sodapop Tue 02-Jul-19 12:15:39

Whilst I agree with your first paragraph quizqueen I note that the people concerned did not show their disapproval by not taking their salary.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:18:39

There is absolutely no evidence that the countries of Europe are combining to build an Empire, or army

That is beyond ridiculous, and lies.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:25:45

Same old same old.........Those who voted remain are right in everything they say or do (Lib Dems t shirts etc)..........Those who voted remain are liars and a lot worse!!!

How sad.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 12:41:45

I would not wear a T.shirt denoting any protest, nor would I go around calling people " liars " GrannyGravy !! How childish.

Ginny42 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:42:08

I thought both parties showed contempt for us, not just the EU Parliament. I don't use such language or attitude. Talk about 'not in my name'. It was all in utterly bad taste. The one I think gets my vote of being utterly pathetic is Anne Widdecombe. What is she trying to prove?

Imagine at a football match if the opposing team's fans turned their backs when the British National Anthem was played. Wouldn't the same people think it disrespectful?

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 12:43:44

_________I voted Remain BTW ! Quick---set the guillotine up.

paddyann Tue 02-Jul-19 12:45:37

Oh dear QQ I dare you to tell the French,Germans Spanish or any of the other EU members that that aren't countries in their own right....go on.See what they say .I can gaurantee it wont be pleasant

Ginny42 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:48:13

I'm with EV. I would never wear such a T-shirt and I've just noticed that GG13 thinks I'm a liar. She says, 'People who voted remain are liars and a lot worse.' As you don't know me GG13, that is offensive to me and to all Remainers. We just don't agree with you.

MrsPickle Tue 02-Jul-19 12:49:01

Courtesy and respect it seems, are outdated.
They are 'lucky' to live in a democracy with the right of free speech. We do not get deported, mysteriously disappear or live in a regime where our thoughts/deeds are ruled and monitored.

I in no way condone what they did, but we should be very mindful of that precious word, 'democracy'. We might be on the brink of madness, when, in the words of Fun boy three, 'The lunatics.....'

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:52:39

Apologies I have just read my previous post it should have read “those who voted leave are liars”

EllanVannin you may not have called leavers liars but sadly it has happened all to frequently on GN, twitter and in many media interviews.

I think the whole situation has just escalated to the point of no return.

If there was to be another referendum I would not cast my vote. As I do not think there is a solution to this mess that would suit anyone.

Our MPs / MEPs are just beyond awful.

It is just one sorry mess!!

ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 12:53:38

Any public representative who behaves in this reprehensible manner should be disciplined. It is all so vindictive.

How are our grandchildren going to have any respect for anyone in public office?

I’m not turning this into a people bashing debate whether they were pro or anti Brexit. It is the example they are setting that is disgusting.

Let’s not prove Putin and Trump right in saying liberal democracy is dead. That way lies disaster for all of us who love freedom of speech!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:55:33

ayse I totally agree with your post.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:06:14

That picture juxtaposed with the Nazis is flying around the world.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 13:15:06

Yeah----freedom of speech to a point !!
I'm no militant thank God and don't give a rat's ass what sort of a mess these politicians make. Give them all enough rope-----

It'll all end up a dogs dinner whatever happens.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:24:51

EllanVannin absolutely one enormous doggie dinner followed by a pile of doggie doo doo!!!!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:29:46

We are paying these and the BP!!

eazybee Tue 02-Jul-19 14:20:33

Shameful, Brexit Party and Lib Dems.
I wonder what all those idiots who try and wave the EU flag in television interviews outside the Houses of Parliament are doing now. Haven't seen them lately.

Labaik Tue 02-Jul-19 14:28:07

I've only just heard this on the news. I am so embarrassed/ashamed for my country...sad .

JonesKpj000 Tue 02-Jul-19 14:28:12

I'm a leaver. But, regardless of that, They were Lib Dem remainers and BP leavers. So come on Remainers let's have less of the biased attitude. It was rude of all our MEP's full stop whichever side of the argument you are on.

Labaik Tue 02-Jul-19 14:32:50

Somehow think that turning your back is more insulting than wearing a bollox to Brexit t shirt....

Oldwoman70 Tue 02-Jul-19 14:34:47

I note no-one has commented on the fact that MEP's from other countries, refused to stand and carried on their conversations