Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit MEP’s behaviour!

(114 Posts)
ayse Tue 02-Jul-19 10:11:56

I’m disgusted with these newly elected MEPs! Turning their backs when the EU anthem is played. This is appalling and they should be suspended indefinitely.
I’m ashamed of a nation that can do this. BTW it was reported in the Independent.

POGS Wed 03-Jul-19 18:03:03

No surprise ' some' view the Brexit Party and Lib Dems as a good cop, bad cop scenario, dependent on whichever side you take.

I am heartened by the majority who can put their bias to one side over this episode and see ' both' the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party showed a puerile behaviour which was obviously intended to insult anybody who does not agree with them.

As with most demonstrations or displays of discourtesy those who participate only think of themselves and don't give a stuff about anybody else. It is a mild form of narcissism and certainly a case of ' look at me, aren' t I clever'. Nope you are certainly not clever you are incapable of making your point intelligently in an adult manner.

As the saying goes ' NOT in my name' and neither the Brexit Party or the Lib Dems acted on my behalf with their childish antics in the EU Parliament.

TerriBull Wed 03-Jul-19 18:02:23

An MEP called "Magid" put this out on his Twitter feed:

"Your face when you've just had someone ask if you're lost and then you're told to leave, on your first day at work.

I know I'm visibily [sic] different. I don't have the privilege to hide my identity. I'm BLACK & my name is Magid. I don't intend to try and fit in. Get used to it!"

Nothing to do with the t shirt with a "Fuck Fascism" slogan and a back to front baseball cap then wink

Ain't protocol a drag sometimes sad

sodapop Wed 03-Jul-19 16:56:44

Nice one crystaltipps grin

crystaltipps Wed 03-Jul-19 16:29:55

They talk out of their backsides so they were really facing the right way.

libra10 Wed 03-Jul-19 16:13:52

As a leaver, I agree it was disrespectful of the Brexit party to turn their backs at the opening of the EU parliament. It was also rude and childish of the Lib Dem members to have 'gutter language' written on the back of their shirts.

Disgraceful behaviour by all these members!

westendgirl Wed 03-Jul-19 16:06:37

You can write to yours and complain. Perhaps we all should. !

petra Wed 03-Jul-19 15:08:34

they will trouser large quantities of your tax and live the high life on their income
That's some thing we agree on Whitewave
The only difference is: you support it, I don't.
All being well they will be gone in October so you won't have to support their high life any longer.

GillT57 Wed 03-Jul-19 14:42:42

Sadly Labaik you are right. Nobody ever seems to mention the millions of us who were not daft enough to did not vote for this debacle. The Tories are too busy pandering to the ERG lunatics and the Labour party.....well.....they are too busy making themselves even more unelectable.

Labaik Wed 03-Jul-19 13:10:51

At least the LibDems put out a message to the rest of the EU that the whole of the UK doesn't want to leave; I'm so tired of being included in 'the will of the people'. We've reached a stage where being quiet and polite just seems to = being ignored I'm afraid...

GillT57 Wed 03-Jul-19 11:02:31

Last night I emailed the secretary of my local LibDems and told him how disappointed and ashamed I was of their behaviour in the EU yesterday. He replied very quickly, said he agreed with me, knew the local LibDem MEPs and would inform them of mine ( and others) feelings regarding their stupid stunt. I also emailed Richard Tice, but no reply yet.

MaizieD Wed 03-Jul-19 10:10:24

I doubt that most MEPs found the LD's slogan offensive. Why should they, the LDs believe in and support the EU?

As for the BP, not only did their stunt have chilling echoes of Nazi behaviour but their rhetoric is strangely similar to this:

We do not beg for votes. We demand conviction, devotion, passion! A vote is only a tool for us as well as for you. We will march into the marble halls of parliament, bringing with us the revolutionary will of the broad masses from which we came, called by fate and forming fate. We do not want to join this pile of manure. We are coming to shovel it out.

Do not believe that parliament is our goal. We have shown the enemy our nature from the podiums of our mass meetings and in the enormous demonstrations of our brown army. We will show it as well in the leaden atmosphere of parliament.

research.calvin.edu/german-propaganda-archive/angrif06.htm

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 09:47:13

If they don’t want to be there why were they? It isn’t as if they intend to do anything constructive is it. They will trousers large quantities of your tax and live the high life on their income.

Alima Wed 03-Jul-19 09:40:22

The whole thing is ridiculous. Does the Ode to Joy get played each time? Reminds me of a football competition. Those Brexit MEPs there now do not want to be there, to show their displeasure they turned their backs. They didn’t cause a riot or wear clothing with an offensive logo as the pious LDs did. Get a grip.

trisher Wed 03-Jul-19 09:34:38

It comes to something doesn't it when MEPs behave like teenage demonstrators and people who demonstrate outside in public are roundly condemned by these same MEPs. Democracy turned on its head. The representatives of the people behaving the way the people no longer behave. Oh Brave New World!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 09:26:06

Remind you of anything?

mobile.twitter.com/OxfordDiplomat/status/1146112460828631040/photo/1

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jul-19 09:24:34

Oops premature posting!!!!

I think both parties were just disrespectful to the people that elected them. I guessed that the BP would do something, but the LD's have gone too far, I complained when I had the "Bo***cks to Brexit" flyer pushed through my door.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jul-19 09:21:44

Urmstongran I have never understood why a trading block needs an anthem.

I look on the flag as more of a "logo" than a "flag", as Countries have flags!!!

Luckygirl Wed 03-Jul-19 09:20:26

It is just plain rude.

Urmstongran Wed 03-Jul-19 09:17:46

I have absolutely no problem with someone not attaching the same importance to EU that others do, but what is there to disagree with the lyrics of "All people become brothers"?

They could have remained seated and thereby showing that they don't recognise the music being played as an anthem (and they would be in their right, as technically it's just a musical identifier and more on a par with "you never walk alone" than with "God Save the Queen") - I think that would have shown their opinion in a more dignified way.

That said I don’t get the whole flag and ‘anthem’ mentality really. Isn’t the EU supposed to be a trading bloc? Seems a bit daft to me.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 08:17:59

EMMF1948

Can you explain that please? I don’t understand your comment? How will they have influence on the exchange rate?

EMMF1948 Wed 03-Jul-19 08:15:44

And their salaries will be paid in Euros.

So it's to their advantage to keep the exchange rate low.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 08:09:38

I think it shouts loud and clear the state of politics in the U.K. at the moment. We are truly scrapping the barrel.

Ginny42 Wed 03-Jul-19 07:24:19

The problem is some of their followers would think that funny/clever or both. They're making fools of us with their boorish behaviour. As for the green party member Magid, being quizzed about his presence in the Chamber, he should have turned up looking the part. A t-shirt with 'f**k facism' was hardly the best way to get the message across.

What's with the expletives on T-shirts?

crystaltipps Wed 03-Jul-19 05:44:31

If some French people did this to the Queen imagine the uproar. They are complete morons.

crystaltipps Wed 03-Jul-19 05:43:26

The Nazi party did this to the Reichstag in the 1929s. Great role models. Nothing wrong with a bit of Beethoven.