Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wimbledon, BBC, taking the....

(145 Posts)
phoenix Sat 06-Jul-19 20:45:56

I don't mind a bit of tennis, but right now, as I type the same match is being shown on both BBC 1 AND 2!

(And there's grunting/sighing)

As a licence fee payer, who would like to watch Casualty, I'm feeling pretty pissed off angry

Avor2 Wed 10-Jul-19 22:18:37

I love Tennis, 2 weeks out of my year I can cope. Do realise if you don't like it it may be a bit frustrating but there are so many other channels to watch - its only 2 weeks!!!!!

It is nearly finished, then we can get back to rubbish that is usually on.

humptydumpty Tue 09-Jul-19 14:06:39

Lumarei "Just owning a smart phone means you have to pay the licence fee"

Really??!! surely that can't be the case..

Rosiebee Tue 09-Jul-19 13:34:20

Just missing "Pointless" sad, really though, there's got to be a bit of give and take, as in all life. I don't watch any soaps but don't mind them being on, not interested in tennis but love the rugby and cricket, can't abide reality shows but love shows like Killing Eve and Line of Duty. If TV only showed what I was interested in, there'd be lots of complaints. Do miss Pointless, though. Counting the days .....

GreenGran78 Tue 09-Jul-19 13:06:35

There are many, many programmes on tv that I don't like. I pre-record the few that I do, and watch them when it suits me.
Live and let live!

posset Tue 09-Jul-19 09:41:50

Wimbledon is only on once a year - and I love it! What I can't stand is football football football, all year round. It's almost as if no other sport existed!

Minniemoo Tue 09-Jul-19 02:16:57

Interesting how we all have differing opinions and I imagine that's the case with everything. I've been on a downer on the BBC for quite a while. But in my home it redeems itself, this 2 weeks of the year. I so enjoy the tennis. My Mother used to play at county level and every year we'd both be glued to the TV, discussing the matches and it was something we looked forward to. Sadly this is the first year without my Mum. Seems so odd to have Wimbledon and not spend animated hours discussing/watching it with her.

Joplin Tue 09-Jul-19 02:11:55

Agree with Izzipop. And the point of having it on 2 channels is obviously so that you can choose which match interests you the most - or go between the 2. Federer's match earlier was a master class. Plus he gave an impromptu commentary on another match, in progress, during his interview. And the match when Nadal was deliberately hit in the chest by his unsportsmanlike Greek opponent became more than just watching a tennis match. 2 weeks soon go by.

Slowcookervegan Mon 08-Jul-19 17:35:08

Hate any sport on tv. Bloody tv licence isn't worth the paper its written on

Missiseff Mon 08-Jul-19 17:32:30

Good grief. Same old, same old. For two weeks of every year we get moaners. Just like we do every four years when the World Cup's on. "Wah, they've moved Coronation Street to a different time for FOOTBALL" wah wah wah. Jesus. Shock, horror, I watch tennis ALL YEAR ROUND and never watch Casualty!!!!

philatel Mon 08-Jul-19 11:38:03

I love tennis BUT the other day I started watching a match on BBC1, they then switched it to BBC2, then to BBC4 and finally on to the red button!!! Why don't they finish one match on one channel - and let people who want to watch the new match see it on another channel. It's impossible to try and record anything - you have to be actually watching it to be able to follow it through. They wouldn't dare do this to football or cricket!

Lilylaundry Mon 08-Jul-19 10:38:52

BBC2 ALWAYS knock off Dad's Army on Saturday evening at the merest whiff of a ball, football, cricket ball, golf ball, tennis ball or any other ball!

Who decides Dad's Army is so unimportant to all but a few that it must be replaced with any sporty activity?

I don't pay for my TV licence but come next June when it seems I will have to pay, I shall be parading with a big placard outside the BBC.

They won't take a blind bit of notice but it will make me feel better.

grammargran Mon 08-Jul-19 10:07:58

‘results in’.

grammargran Mon 08-Jul-19 10:07:16

I rest my case - I think the main gripe on this thread now is the fact that the BBC forces this on us rather than dedicate a single channel, say BBC2, and makes wild - and mostly wrong, assumptions about its target audience. Also its complete lack of courtesy towards its licence holders in not apologising for any rescheduling that this results on. I have lost all respect for this ‘national treasure’ and find myself turning more and more to the independent channels, certainly for the news.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jul-19 09:26:05

Yes Tiggy I watch the Tour de France every evening, its on for an hour and not on BBC. Why aren't they showing it all day long?

Blinko Mon 08-Jul-19 08:34:56

This thread is not about whether people like or dislike sport. It's about those who dislike it having little choice at certain times. That's not fair.

Lumarei Mon 08-Jul-19 06:51:36

The BBC is not accountable to anyone which is why they can get away with it. No one has mentioned the fact that BBC ‘s fees are compulsory. What a cheek. Even if you throw out your telly you have to pay the licence fee. Just owning a smart phone means you have to pay the licence fee. That is disgusting. It is a tax you cannot avoid and I can’t understand why in a democracy this is even allowed.

They are a law unto themselves and try and convince us that they are balanced and neutral - it Is so far from the truth that I have stopped watching it.

TiggyW Mon 08-Jul-19 00:48:47

Barmeyoldbat - I agree with you: much better for you to be out doing sport rather than watching it on TV.
Having said that, I do love watching the Tour de France because it is exactly that - a tour around France, in real time. Brilliant! smile

Lioness68 Sun 07-Jul-19 22:33:57

I loathe all sports and would sooner watch paint dry than watch any of them. For those commenting that is only for two weeks - it may be, but imagine being housebound and stuck with tv that you hate for that time. I was a couple of years ago when I broke my ankle and was totally housebound for over 4 months.

sodapop Sun 07-Jul-19 22:11:39

Having an interest in medical type dramas does not mean we are crass enough to stop and look at road accidents Tillybelle I did take exception to that remark.

Mapleleaf Sun 07-Jul-19 21:30:59

I’m afraid the BBC do overkill with sport full stop. They seem to think we are all mad about any sport and other programmes can be shunted to other times or taken off completely. They don’t care about balance.

jocork Sun 07-Jul-19 20:31:29

Having had tennis forced on me all young life - parents met at a tennis club, went to Wimbledon for part of their honeymoon and played competitively every weekend every summer - I choose to watch little sport now I have a choice. I did surprisingly enjoy the match which replaced Casualty but what I want to know is 'When will the missed episode be shown'. They simply said 'at a later time.' I usually record it and as I'm about to go away on business I expect all the schedules will be messed up all week so goodness knows what I'll end up recording in my absence. I have no problem with replacing programmes as there is plenty of other choice but I do need to know when they are rescheduled for!

GabriellaG54 Sun 07-Jul-19 20:30:33

Just to remind you that they also showed Glasto on both 1&2 every day. angry
Why on earth don't they have a dedicated muzak fest channel and a sport channel.
It would make things so much easier for those of us not into fests or tennis/footie.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 07-Jul-19 20:18:44

Yes we can watch other stuff on player but we are also licence payers and the BBC should not monopolise their viewing time with just sport. . Its all about having an alternative

tickingbird Sun 07-Jul-19 19:56:56

I’m a tennis nut. Love Wimbledon, my favourite time of year.

George7mc Sun 07-Jul-19 19:51:17

Most people can watch other stuff by going on the iPlayer, itv hub etc. But I agree, showing the same thing on 2 channels is like telling us we have to watch it, which as far as I’m concerned is out of order. I’m a sports fan but there is a limit.