Gransnet forums

AIBU

Strangers at the door

(125 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:18:14

I have just watched two cars park outside my house. Two men got out of one with brief cases and two women.

The two women just knocked on my door and I think what put my back up was that they had a baby in a push chair. Maybe this was for a sympathy vote. As I was on the phone they said they realised it was not a good time. I am afraid I did not ask them why they had come and was quite rude showing them the sign on the door and asking them not to call again.
I am assuming they were from some religion.
How do other grans deal with this?

grizzlybear27 Sat 03-Aug-19 13:11:14

I am probably too late for this post..as usual. I just say to JWs,
that I am Pagan(or Wiccan), that usually scares them away.

bluetrigger1 Sun 21-Jul-19 11:31:11

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Day6 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:02:41

Lazigirl - exactly. Good post.

Day6 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:01:09

JWs are just human beings, and well-meaning ones at that. I’m surprised that people are scared of them or think it’s hilarious to be rude

Maggiemaybe*, I share your view. They have strange views but so do many people and it doesn't make them 'bad'.

They can be a nuisance at best by calling at an inappropriate time, or by calling at all - but in my experience they are always polite and go away immediately when I tell them I am not interested.

Elegran Tue 16-Jul-19 10:43:42

It is their duty to give everyone the chance to hear and believe. Is it so unpalatable to you to tell them politely that you have heard, that you have your own belief system, which may or may not contain a supernatural deity, and you would rather that they didn't call again? Is it really essential for you to be offended at them as well?

Lazigirl Tue 16-Jul-19 09:20:00

Why is it arrogant for JWs to believe what they do, how can we know they are wrong and we are right?

purplepatch Mon 15-Jul-19 22:17:22

Of course they don't "believe" they are arrogant. The arrogance lies in the assumption that they are right and it is their duty to convert us lesser mortals.

That is pretty arrogant actually.

Lazigirl Mon 15-Jul-19 21:09:16

I reckon it doesn't take much to be friendly to religious canvassers on the doorstep, such as JWs, whether we agree with them or not. I hope giving a pleasant response without becoming too embroiled may give them pause for thought, and help them to know it is possible to be happy and kind without embracing their life view.

Elegran Mon 15-Jul-19 20:11:51

They believe that they are not arrogant, but obedient servants of God, who told them to go out into the world and spread the good news. They get some of the other details of his teaching a bit skew-whiff (according to mainstream Christian doctrine) but in that they are bang on the central message.

purplepatch Mon 15-Jul-19 17:57:55

I am not rude. I simply say I am not interested.

But I actually find it arrogant in the extreme that they clearly believe they have seen the light and I am a poor disbeliever that has to be saved.

I think JHs and similar are extremely lucky if us poor ignorant disbelievers are too nice to tell them to p* off. grin

Apricity Sun 14-Jul-19 23:42:53

In Oz we are more likely to have people selling energy company "deals", solar panel installers, charity spruikers and occasionally JWs door knocking. Knowing the charity spruikers get a percentage of the donation I prefer to arrange my charity contributions directly with the charity of my choice and I tell door knockers that I have my own arrangements.

All door knockers get a polite "no thank you" response and the door is closed. I am not interested in further conversations, nor do I feel the need to justify my own views or choices to a random door knocker but I would never be rude.

lincolnimp Sun 14-Jul-19 21:58:56

eazybee exactly the same here

TwinLolly Sun 14-Jul-19 20:11:52

Someone had a notice on their door "A Nudist Lives Here" and yes - the JW's learned not to call on the door because of being met at the door by a naked man or woman!

TwinLolly Sun 14-Jul-19 20:10:25

tanith You wondered why women always wore skirts/dresses. I believe it is to do with wearing 'modest' attire that is fitting in the eyes of God. Not all about temptations of the flesh.

And why do they bring their children with them - it is showing them from an early age what the preaching work is all about and in a way teaching them how to go about it. They also probably don't want to leave their babies and children on their own at home.

BradfordLass72 Sun 14-Jul-19 02:43:59

I always feel sorry for JWs and Mormons, despite the fact they've been brainwashed schooled to resist all tactics.
They must get some horrible abuse.

I used to date a Jehovah's Witness, for which he was disfellowshipped and shunned. He ignored their many threats, including a 5-hour interrogation, for over a year until they told him he was damning my immortal soul.
Then for my sake, despite the fact I told him any damning was between me and God and not up to his Brothers, he gave me up.

I have a notice on my door:

Absolutely NO sales, charities or persons touting religions. Thank you

The JW's ignore it but as soon as I realise who they are I say, politely, "Please read the notice." And close the door.

Lyndiloo Sun 14-Jul-19 01:09:45

I'm never rude to callers at my front door. If it's a tradesman, just "No thanks." (Everyone has a job to do!)

We used to get a lot of JW's - once, even on Boxing Day, when everyone was just sitting down to their roast dinner! Not so many now.

If you're really not interested, it's fatal to get into a discussion with them - they'll be on your doorstep for hours! I just say, "I'm a Spiritualist". That gets them gone, quick-sharp!

GabriellaG54 Sat 13-Jul-19 20:54:13

No unwanted or unexpected callers here either.
I often have to meet at the field gate and show first time visitors the way to the front door as the property is discreetly tucked away. Even relief posties have been given my mobile number by our regular man. Couriers ring when they're nearby. It has it's advantages. I once didn't shut the front door properly (it clicks twice) and it stood wide open all night.

AlisonKF Sat 13-Jul-19 20:46:31

My door bell, attached by screws to the frame simply blew off in a storm. I found that I could no longer hear a knock if upstairs or in the kitchen, so never replaced the door bell. I direct all parcels to be delivered to the shop opposite. Problem largely solved.

CanOnlyTry Sat 13-Jul-19 20:33:35

Once, struggling with carrying several heavy bags of shopping, two JWs noticed and came over to help me. They walked me to my house and very kindly deposited shopping on my front step. So refreshing!! As for criticising them for calling, just say 'nicely' that you aren't interested if that's how you feel - no need to be rude to anyone who calls at your door. These people come from all walks of life don't get paid, and hold down secular jobs too. But I guess they're easy targets (and I rather suspect this wouldn't be the case if talking/criticising a certain middle eastern religion for fear of reprisals)

Evie64 Sat 13-Jul-19 20:08:41

We used to live in a bungalow that was 37 steps up from the road. Never had a problem with unwanted callers, wonder why? grin

fluff Sat 13-Jul-19 17:51:29

I’m sorry but in my opinion if they ignore signs on the door telling them that you’re not interested, then they are being rude, I once had two knock at my door they started with their religious nonsense, and I told them that I didn’t want to be rude but I wasn’t interested and would they please leave, well they kept talking, so I then said well I gave you fair warning that I didn’t want to be rude, but now I will be if you don’t leave immediately.... they took the hint.
To try to keep persuading someone even though they have said that they don’t want to know is extremely bad manners, and I have had this on a number of occasions, they don’t just leave politely when you say to, so now I just don’t answer the door, I don’t hide , I think it’s fine for them to know that I know that they are there and that I’m just not answering.

grannybuy Sat 13-Jul-19 17:48:29

I admire their tenacity and commitment, up to a point. I'm never rude, just let them know, as quickly as possible, about my own Church. Similarly, with the American Mormon young lads that stop one in the street. They are so charming, and always polite. I just let them know how involved I am with my own Church ( not exactly truthful ) but diplomatic.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 13-Jul-19 17:27:25

In the office where I worked before retiring there were two JWs. A young man and a woman.
I felt sorry for the young man especially. He had no social life outside the JWs and when he met a girl he liked through work his family disowned him and he had to move home.
Before that happened his every spare moment was spent door knocking because all JWs have to do it.

lefthanded Sat 13-Jul-19 17:01:09

I tell them that I am a humanist and that I reject their religion in its entirety. This usually leaves them too gobsmacked to have any meaningful retort.

I think this works better than telling them you are an atheist. They regard an atheist as someone who just hasn’t found the right religion yet and are therefore ripe to be converted - humanists have found their “niche” and are much less likely to convert.

dragonfly46 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:07:31

oldgaijin grin