Gransnet forums

AIBU

Strangers at the door

(124 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:18:14

I have just watched two cars park outside my house. Two men got out of one with brief cases and two women.

The two women just knocked on my door and I think what put my back up was that they had a baby in a push chair. Maybe this was for a sympathy vote. As I was on the phone they said they realised it was not a good time. I am afraid I did not ask them why they had come and was quite rude showing them the sign on the door and asking them not to call again.
I am assuming they were from some religion.
How do other grans deal with this?

BlueBelle Fri 12-Jul-19 10:21:25

If they weren’t expected and not wanted I wouldn’t have answered the door
Hope they were calling to tell you you’d won he postcode lottery

shysal Fri 12-Jul-19 10:21:32

I firmly but politely tell them that I don't do business at the door, then close it quickly.

RosieLeah Fri 12-Jul-19 10:21:41

Sounds like Jehovah's Witnesses. It's fatal to get into a conversation with them, they think they have a convert and keep coming back. It's best to just say, 'Not today, thank you'.

Minniemoo Fri 12-Jul-19 10:24:57

Hi dragonflower, sounds a bit like Jehovah's Witnesses' tactics. However they do tend to thrust the Watchtower magazine as you're ushering them away. I have been known to hide when the door bell rings due to the fact that the house is a tip or I look like some zombie having not brushed my hair etc. However I have opened the door to window people and tree fellers. I always tell them politely that we're moving soon and that gets rid. But hiding is always an option .Just go and stand in the kitchen until they've gone.

Pantglas1 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:26:20

Never say ‘not today’ - it means they’ll come back tomorrow or day after, as they usually blitz an area. I lived next door to them and they never bothered me although they would hold prayer meetings etc.

blondenana Fri 12-Jul-19 10:26:43

Oh dear,yes sounds like Jehovas witnesses, do not get into conversation with them
I made that mistake years ago, and they came everyday, i started not answering the door, but eventually had to say please don't come again i am not interested in your religion
They are very persistent
I sometimes wonder why they are not at work

Nonnie Fri 12-Jul-19 10:34:02

It doesn't bother me at all, I don't hide I simply open the door and if it is a salesperson politely tell them I don't buy at the door. If a JW I simply say I'm a communicant member of the CoE. Nothing to be worried or rude about imo.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 10:34:19

It's usually Saturdays when the JW's start their rounds so I put my coat on ready as if I'm on my way out or answer the door with phone in hand. Bloomin' pests !
Pity they hadn't anything better to do. They must know by now that people can't be bothered with them ?

Pantglas1 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:39:05

You’re right EllenVannin, why do they feel the have to go around ‘converting’ people?

eazybee Fri 12-Jul-19 10:46:17

Very likely Jehovah's Witnesses as they had a child with them.
What were you frightened of?
I always tell them I am a Methodist, and they accept that and go.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 12-Jul-19 10:49:08

Depending on the type of door could you get a spy-hole fitted? You can see them but they can't see you. Plain net curtains help at the windows. I never have to answer the door if I think they're salespeople or religious groups.

ninathenana Fri 12-Jul-19 10:50:41

It's part of their religion to gather in new followers.

I have a No Hawkers etc. sticker on my front door, given out by Kent Police with their badge on it. They still knock on my door.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Jul-19 10:59:18

I've never found JWs intimidating. They're always very polite and leave if you say you're really not interested. Granted they often hand over a Watchtower as they go, but that's no problem. They shouldn't be ignoring a No Hawkers sign though.

Grannybags Fri 12-Jul-19 11:02:42

I just tell them I'm an Atheist. They usually just leave then, apart from one woman who said "Oh dear, is there anything I can do to help!

jusnoneed Fri 12-Jul-19 11:07:57

Luckily we don't often get JW's here now, a few years back they seemed to pop up every 3 or 4 months. My friends husband happened to be home when they called one day, he looked at the bloke and asked him if he believed in God. JW must of thought he was on to a winner as he happily nodded his head and started his spiel, friend stopped him and said "well if your daft enough to believe in him you'd better get yourself out of my gate or you will meet him very soon!" A great answer lol.

We used to be plagued by window salesmen or people laying drives - after the walked up our paved drive! We put up a police sticker and they seem to take the hint so far.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Jul-19 11:14:48

A bonus of living in an apartment with intercom access. No callers of any kind. No trick or treaters, no carol singers, no plastic bags left for unwanted clothes etc. It’s great!
?

Septimia Fri 12-Jul-19 11:23:12

We have a couple of JWs who used to call regularly but now come spasmodically. We've got fairly friendly with them and occasionally invite them in if the weather's awful. We've had some good discussions with them - mostly about things other than religion! They know they're not going to convert us as I'm heavily involved with the C of E church over the road. However, if any others turn up on the doorstep, they get short shrift!
At least, living where we do, we get few doorstep callers and few leaflets thrust through the letterbox (apart from those the postman brings).

Sara65 Fri 12-Jul-19 11:28:08

I think we’ve all been caught out by Jehovahs witnesses, my elderly neighbour rang me at work one day, and said a man an woman were hanging around my house looking in windows, I raced home, he’d given me a pretty good description of them, and I spotted them walking through the village, I stopped the car, asked them who they were and what they wanted, yes, you’re right! Jehovahs Witnesses!

Where we once lived, a very pleasant lady used to come round with her magazines, I made the terrible mistake of being friendly, and even mildly interested, big mistake!

Heket Fri 12-Jul-19 11:57:23

Blood donor stickers - or a pentacle.

They have only once put a pamphlet through my door by mistake and even that was swiftly followed by a handwritten apology...

shysal Fri 12-Jul-19 11:58:26

My father used to ask them why they thought God would be interested in him, when He was so busy causing disasters throughout the world! Then he closed the door.

Alexa Fri 12-Jul-19 12:11:44

JWs are quite fun if you want to mine their Biblical knowledge.

Tree fellers and suchlike , I live alone and if I answer the door I refer to myself as 'we' and mention my son including maybe telling some little lie. I have stopped driving my car, and when it goes to its new home I shall get a young man's sort of old car just to just sit on my drive as a deterrent, or maybe an old motorbike.

Maggiemaybe Fri 12-Jul-19 12:35:44

JWs are just human beings, and well-meaning ones at that. I’m surprised that people are scared of them or think it’s hilarious to be rude.

And no, I’m not one myself!

Pantglas1 Fri 12-Jul-19 12:41:49

You’re right Maggiemaybe but I don’t understand why they do it - do other religions do something similar. We had some Mormons knock once but I’m not aware of any others

Willow500 Fri 12-Jul-19 12:48:57

One of the young auditors who used to come to do the quarterly audit was a JW - he was a lovely lad and we had quite a few discussions about the religion. Also the guy who fitted our kitchen is one and as he spent 2 weeks with my husband including travelling 2 hours a day in the car they had a lot of debates. He obviously knew where to draw the line about it when husband told him of the day years ago when one came to the door and told him he was a child of satan grin