Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am turning into an evil old lady

(84 Posts)
luckyrose62 Fri 12-Jul-19 12:16:05

When I heard the news regarding the poor guy that got shot mistakenly by police 7 years ago. All I could think was well that’s one less crook off the streets.
Not a nice thought but cannot help myself I just feel sorry for the policeman that mistakenly shot him.
I really don’t want to be a bitter old lady but I cannot help myself

Hetty58 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:29:39

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/articles/publicperceptionsofcrimeinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2016

Hetty58 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:19:32

EllanVannin, you said:

'Our present society is an angry one which has worsened over the years where violence has bred violence and we've ended with a stalemate.'

Where's your evidence? What about our violent history? Crime statistics (overall) have fallen. Agreed that some types of crime, like knife crime, are on the rise and of great concern but your statement is wrong. I blame the media for perpetuating these myths.

OurKid1 Mon 15-Jul-19 10:06:31

I don't think you're evil, just honest to admit to your gut reaction. I'd probably have instantly thought the same, then realised that gut reactions are not always the best reaction to have, just like you have.

That's how I'd react if anyone hurt any of my family though - which is why I don't support capital punishment. Justice should be meted rationally not based on gut reaction.

Anniebach Mon 15-Jul-19 10:01:32

No one chooses mental illness, do we draw a line ? Those who self harm on one side those who cause harm on the other , support those who self harm shoot those who harm
others ?

Grannyjay Mon 15-Jul-19 09:50:54

As we are now bombarded with dreadful news on a daily basis it is not surprising, especially as some of us have been on the receiving end, to be angry. I’ve experienced physical attacks in the workplace by men and sexual abuse and they got away with it. Someone’s child doesn’t cut it with me. I don’t need validation to be allowed to feel anger or anything as we are all entitled to an opinion.

Joce345 Mon 15-Jul-19 09:38:47

Not all psychopaths kill and not all killers are psychopaths this is true..
I stand by what I say shoot them.
Hetty our country would be a lot richer in every way, if we didn’t have to house theses horrible men and woman..
the money would still be better spent in our NHS. For illness of every kind.
Mentally ill or not they are still killers . ITS WRONG
maybe I cannot be as forgiving as other people that have not had dealings with these people.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 09:09:08

Not all psychopaths kill and not all killers are psychopaths.

Our present society is an angry one which has worsened over the years where violence has bred violence and we've ended with a stalemate.

Hetty58 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:35:37

Joce345, it's just not that simple. Have you been reading the Daily Fail?

1) There is no deterrent for psychopaths

2) A civilised society doesn't shoot the mentally ill

3) The lack of funds is political - we live in one of the world's richest countries

4) Who decides what the 'better more needed problems' are?

Joce345 Sun 14-Jul-19 09:48:29

Jack the Ripper, Fred West and many more come to mind. Why should these waste of space get fed and looked after better than the peoples families they have hurt so bad. No not all should be shot, but there is a good few that should be.
What happens if it’s your family that cannot get medical treatment because of NO funds.. and they are keeping these in comfort for there crimes shoot um and put the money to better more needed problems. Not every crime warrant shooting but there is a good few that does.. it’s all made too easy for criminal these day to get free bed and fed for what they have done. So why not keep doing it.

harrigran Sun 14-Jul-19 09:16:53

The UK seems to attract criminals from all over the world, pick up any newspaper and there will be an article about someone who has evaded their own criminal justice and is residing here. We are way too soft on criminals.

annep1 Sat 13-Jul-19 17:55:46

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Parsley3 Sat 13-Jul-19 16:50:50

I totally agree with grandtante. Not evil just self aware, which is a good thing.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 13-Jul-19 14:38:44

Luckyrose, we all now and again think things we are ashamed of afterwards.

Whether you were justified in feeling as you did, I cannot pretend to know. If you were there is nothing to be ashamed of, if you weren't, you regret thinking it, so you probably won't let yourself think something similar on another occasion.

I don't think you are turning into an evil old woman, if you were, you wouldn't stop to consider the thought that passed through your mind.

maddyone Sat 13-Jul-19 14:12:31

Oh no, did someone mention death as a punishment. I could never agree with the death penalty. But I do agree with proper levels of punishment which fit the crime.

SparklyGrandma Sat 13-Jul-19 14:01:44

Every life is precious, I think. Death is not a suitable punishment.
Sorry!

Dee1012 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:57:48

I currently work in criminal justice and see, virtually on a daily basis the horrendous and quite often, life changing effects of crime on people. A lot of the time, they are literally in the wrong place at the wrong time but I also think there's a real element of sadism and cruelty rearing it's head and I can't excuse or forgive that.
In mitigation regularly, you hear brought up in a one parent family, anger management issues, substance misuse etc etc, we hear the stories of "it's everyone else's fault"..... frankly and personally I'm sick of it.
I hate "what aboutism" and until that changed I really do fear the path we're on.

annep1 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:27:22

and have difficulty achieving exam success.

annep1 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:25:54

Most young offenders have had a very bad start in life. Coincidence?

widgeon3 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:12:28

i haven't read the entire thread but from another point of view perhaps..... I once taught English ( having written the course) to a group of hysterically blind ex policemen in the FarEast. One said, that , having had a gun pointed at him by a criminal, he almost immediately lost his vision. In every case, where I asked for the cause, the policeman/ woman said it was suddenly being accosted by a criminal who was very threatening... mostly with a firearm.
They had little other than charitable support and were learning massage( and English) to be able to offer their services in the big hotels in the area

Lumarei Sat 13-Jul-19 12:16:34

EllanVannin. I have no idea. My DH and SIL were policemen and left the force after a few years. Couldn’t deal with picking up body part on motorways, telling people that their loved one had died and the constant exposure to the worst people of society. You begin to think everyone is bad - that it is the norm.
Sure there are bad policemen but I don’t think even those do not like shooting someone if for no other reason than that their actions will be investigated. DH and SIL never carried guns but my goodness what a responsibility. I don’t know how anyone wants to do that job.

quizqueen Sat 13-Jul-19 12:13:09

I have no sympathy for criminals of any description and couldn't care less if they meet a bad end themselves.

Bbbface Sat 13-Jul-19 12:09:05

I wouldn’t say evil

But somewhere along the line you have become very hardened, and no way would I ever want to be like that

4allweknow Sat 13-Jul-19 11:55:03

The briefing the officer had been given had portrayed the situation to be more dangerous than it turned out to be. Sorry, old grump too, but the guy was in a stolen car, had a very long violent history so what would you do? Walk across a car park to ask what he was up to. Had a police officer friend on duty, approached a guy filling up his motor bike. Friend was keen biker, was interested in the make of the bike and just wanted to chat. He was shot dead. Biker ride off. This was in mid 80s and gun crime has increased massively since then. No issue for me in the latest case.

Chrishappy Sat 13-Jul-19 11:34:49

My DIL is a police officer, she has a family and babies. The force is so depleted due to government cuts that she is mostly sent out on her own ( called single crewed) she faces weapons druggies and domestic violence on a daily basis and as I've said often on her own. By back up arrives she could be injured or attacked who knows. Reactions have to be precise and relative to the situation. Being human and under that much pressure by the system and the public is a huge responsibility and the government should make their workplace safer by more police on the streets and by bringing the CPS up to date with tougher laws and sentencing, as my DILs biggest bugbear is seeing someone she's arrested charged and put in the cells waving or smirking at her the next day!! Back on the streets!!

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 11:09:10

I think those who own a car such as an Audi ( fast cars used/stolen in/for the purpose of robberies) wouldn't be best pleased if someone stole it ? Would you stand in its empty space and utter " oh dear ?" I hardly think so !
BMW's
Mercedes and Audi's.
Three of the most targeted cars stolen and used in robberies.