Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am turning into an evil old lady

(83 Posts)
luckyrose62 Fri 12-Jul-19 12:16:05

When I heard the news regarding the poor guy that got shot mistakenly by police 7 years ago. All I could think was well that’s one less crook off the streets.
Not a nice thought but cannot help myself I just feel sorry for the policeman that mistakenly shot him.
I really don’t want to be a bitter old lady but I cannot help myself

Anniebach Fri 12-Jul-19 12:18:54

Like America ? Shoot first ask questions after

BlueBelle Fri 12-Jul-19 12:32:44

Oh gosh no that was far from my first thought
When I heard that the young lad that burgled my house had died through a bad batch of drugs I cried although the policeman said just what you said I thought that was an awful thing to say and was upset to hear it said even if he thought it he shouldn’t have said it to me

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 13:02:20

Don't worry about it Luckyrose, I often think on those lines . It's no surprise that officers get over-zealous.

It's a sign of the times when you become immune to crime and the police must be fed up to the back teeth of some of the lesser sentencing in some crimes particularly if the police have spent time chasing them up.

Then you get the other side of the coin were unlawful killing becomes a problem where police will never admit their mistake and one that rarely comes to light, unlike this case which has taken 5 years-------why ?
The worst being Jean Charles Menezes as he was running to escape the bombers on that day----not in the foot to halt him but in his head.

luckyrose62 Fri 12-Jul-19 13:03:21

I am usually ready to give people benefit of doubt and I used to be a nice person. I think this was past hatred coming out. We inadvertently bought a stolen car. Which was professional car thieves even a garage said well you did all the checks you could. After threatening to report him to th3 police My son aged 14 was followed home from school,kerb crawled by a couple of men I took it as a warning. So the car thieves got away with it left me out of pocket and fearful. Well this guy that was shot was a career criminal they said had never been prosecuted for gun crime or violence but was a car thief.

Anniebach Fri 12-Jul-19 13:07:25

I felt sorry for the man and his family , add to it the police
lied

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 13:08:11

Luckyrose, it's true these criminals make people's lives a misery and you shouldn't have to live in fear.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 13:17:06

Most criminals are now armed !! Police officers aren't always aware that someone could be armed so their lives are in their hands when answering calls of criminal activity.

Anniebach Fri 12-Jul-19 13:50:30

Who remembers the poor man with a serious mental illness
walking down a road , police shot him they thought he was armed, he was carrying a table leg , heaven knows why, but how can a table leg be thought a gun ?

Yes it’s so wrong that people are fearful, but do we want the
American way ?

annodomini Fri 12-Jul-19 14:04:40

I heard an interview with the young man's wife - widow. She was treated like a criminal by the police investigating the case and has never recovered from the shock of being told that he was dead. So no, I can't bring myself to agree with the OP.

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 14:14:27

It's taken 5 years ? If I'd been upset/mourning it would have been instantaneous and a case brought against the police there and then.

BlueBelle Fri 12-Jul-19 14:37:48

I think it’s perfectly normal to feel angry at criminals but to be glad they are dead no that’s not normal or nice whatever age you are

EllanVannin Fri 12-Jul-19 14:40:55

How do you think the police feel about having arrested a speeding thug who knocked over and killed a little 4 year old girl only for the court to disallow victim's family statements being read out in case it upsets the " killer accused ?"--------Todays Mail.

annep1 Fri 12-Jul-19 14:43:19

Sometimes our first reaction is not very nice. We are only human. When I hear that someone has been murdered who is eg a drug dealer my first reaction is not sympathy. But who am I to judge? If we all got our just desserts.......

Hetty58 Fri 12-Jul-19 15:10:09

luckyrose62, 'cannot help myself' - Really? Everyone is somebody's baby, that's how to view things. Do career criminal car thieves deserve to die? Many criminals have learning disabilities. Do you feel sorry for his family? Maybe you have these fleeting thoughts but why post them on here? Are you hoping for validation?

GrannyO Fri 12-Jul-19 15:10:18

I feel exactly as you do Luckyrose, don't feel guilty at all.

Baggs Fri 12-Jul-19 15:48:51

"Everyone is somebody's baby"

No. Everyone was somebody's baby. People are supposed to grow up and accept responsibility for their actions. If one of my adult children committed a crime that hurt other people, I'd be ashamed of them and want them to face justice.

I'd also be desperately sad.

luckyrose62 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:00:20

No Hetty58 not hoping totally for validation, just surprised at myself for my unsympathetic attitude that has come of late. If I hear about a peodophile I want them hung drawn and quartered. It is an horrendous crime but in the past I would have just wanted them locked up in a secure place. I think I am watching too much news and violent TV or I really have turned to evil thoughts.

luckyrose62 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:01:29

I also would like to be nice again like I used to be

RosieLeah Fri 12-Jul-19 16:11:53

luckyrose....I'm not ashamed to say that my reaction was exactly the same as yours...one less criminal on our streets.

Anniebach Fri 12-Jul-19 16:12:27

Baggs would you want every who commits a crime shot ? Face justice yes but shot ?

M0nica Fri 12-Jul-19 16:12:59

Utterly disagree. This man may not have been squeaky clean, he was in a stolen car, but he had no history of violence and the police information that he was working with a gang to carry out an armed robbery proved to be completly untrue.

Agree with the OP and those who support her and you are agreeing to a system like that country with an elected judicial murderer as President, The Philipinnes. More than 12,000 people in that country have been randomly murdered in a campaign to eliminate drug trafficking. Some people may have been gang members and active in the trade but many are innocent passers by, victims of information maliciously given.

We live in a country that lives under the rule of law. No one is guilty until it is proven in a court of law. If this man had committed a crime then he should be brought before the courts convicted and sentenced. But the evidence here is that at the time he was shot he had not committed a crime, certainly not the one he was incorrectly about to be accused of.

Think this shooting is rough justice, but OK as he was a paetty criminal and you are reducing the level of policing to shoot first, ask questions, later.

What happens when it is your innocent son, daughter, grandson or grand daughter who is shot and killed because of miss information?

Hetty58 Fri 12-Jul-19 16:27:18

You hit the nail in the head MOnica.

Anniebach Fri 12-Jul-19 16:30:44

The man didn’t face justice

sodapop Fri 12-Jul-19 17:10:50

There are some people I would like to see shot no two ways about that. I think criminals should be punished as befits the crime and that doesn't seem to happen much now.
I agree with Baggs people should take responsibility for their actions.