Gransnet forums

AIBU

What would you have done?

(103 Posts)
Chucky Sat 13-Jul-19 09:39:12

First I know I have been fair, but should I have been?
I was shopping yesterday with someone else. My budget is pretty tight so I tend to buy in bulk, things like cat food, pasta, potatoes etc. I also add things up in my head as I go along, so I know roughly how much my shop will come to.
I got to the checkout and because a number of my items were largish the assistant told me to leave them in my trolley and he scanned them through with bar codes on cards he had beside him.
After he finished he told me how much my shopping had cost. The total he asked me for was significantly less (around £20) than what I had added in my head, so I said to him I thought he had missed somethings out. He checked, and sure enough he hadn’t put everything through. He put through the 2 items he had missed and gave me the new total, which I paid.

After we left the shop the person with me asked why I had told the checkout assistant that he had missed some items out, and not just paid the original total? My answer was that it never occurred to me not to tell him, as that would have been dishonest!

She said she wouldn’t have queried it and would have paid the lesser amount. I said that wouldn’t have been fair!
Here’s the question as per my title.....What would you have done?

Mitramonday Wed 07-Aug-19 17:44:20

A couple of years back, I did a bulk shop in that famous Swedish furniture warehouse place (begins in I and ends in A, four letters!). There was no way I could have totalled it up in my head (30+ dinner plates, 40+ bowls, 52 glasses, 26 cushions...you get my drift!) but when I got back to my place of work, I discovered they had undercharged us by a substantial amount. I telephoned them to make the payment difference over the phone...and ended up probably spending it all on phone charges - they didn't have a clue how to take a payment for this error! We got there in the end.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 29-Jul-19 13:15:26

SueDonim, I think you are quite right about not doing a 80-mile trip about your mislabelled bread bin. You could mention it the next time you are there, and they will probably say to forget it, but I think your idea of putting an extra donation into the food bank is an excellent way round it.

Looking back at the dates, I realise that all this happened some time ago and you have probably done what you're going to do anyway, so don't need my support, but you can have it anyway!

Smileless2012 Mon 22-Jul-19 13:18:57

I'd have done that too Chucky. Many years ago Mr. S. and I went on my works Christmas do. There were about 20 in all and the bill was split so everyone paid the same.

On the way home our boss graciously gave us all some money back, about £8 per couple I think, as the bill had been added up incorrectly. We didn't agree so suggested that the restaurant be contacted, told of the error and the money repaid. As no one else was in agreement we took ours and sent a cheque with a note to say we'd recently been under charged but had not realised until we'd got home.

Tweedle24 Mon 22-Jul-19 13:00:02

Slightly different but, LizaJane, you triggered a memory. I was a ward sister and one day went into a local cafe where, to my surprise, an ex-patient turned out to be the manager. When I tried to pay the bill, she tore it up saying something about a thank you for her care.

I thanked her but, never went back again in case she thought I was angling for a free meal.

LizaJane24 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:35:09

I've had 2 experience recently with meals- 1 where the drinks were missed off and 1 where the desserts were missed off. Both times I told the staff and they appreciated the honesty. I would do it everytime. I couldn't go back again with an easy conscience and it shows to others that there are decent people about. I once left my handbag on a shopping trolley and when I went back 2 hours later it had been handed in, so I always try to be honest.

annep1 Wed 17-Jul-19 12:28:50

Only herself to blame Grannyliv

GrannyLiv Tue 16-Jul-19 21:30:38

I would have done the same - it is the right thing to do.

I once got too much change back in my hand in M&S. I returned to the till just as the cashier was serving the next person and said "I think you made a mistake with my change". The cashier sneered (I was 14 and in my school uniform) and replied "I don't think so, we don't make mistakes here" and shared a smug smile with the next customer. I said "Oh well, if you're sure" and promptly left. I dropped the excess change into a charity collection box and would have loved to have seen the woman's face when she cashed up her till to find it short by a couple of quid!!

Daizy Tue 16-Jul-19 20:57:11

You did the right thing, my motto is, If I can sleep at night with the decision I made, I did the right thing.

purplepatch Mon 15-Jul-19 17:40:00

I would point out a mistake no matter whether it was Tesco or the corner shop because that is the standard I hold myself to. Whether it is a superstore or a little shop is irrelevant. They are my standards. The status of the 'victim' is irrelevant in that case.

annep1 Mon 15-Jul-19 13:30:50

The only thing that worries me is, if the assistant has made a mistake will I get her/him into trouble.
I once didn't go back years ago when the assistant had keyed in the wrong amount. Although this can't happen nowadays.

SueDonim Mon 15-Jul-19 12:49:06

The thing is, the supermarket is 40+ miles away and I'm not likely to go there again for four to six weeks. It would cost cost me at least a fiver in fuel to make a special journey plus extra pollution. There is also no identifying label on it except for the kilner jar one. They'd think I was barmy, haha!

I really think I'll chalk this down to being in the right place at the right time and put some extra donations into the food bank collection to salve my conscience.

luluaugust Mon 15-Jul-19 12:40:59

Far back on this thread I notice ginny didn't have to pay for drinks and puddings in a restaurant, this has happened to us we even spoke to the Manager about it but he insisted we didn't owe anything - very odd as there were no notices anywhere that we could see.

wildswan16 Mon 15-Jul-19 12:07:30

There are many occasions when we are the only person who knows whether we have done right or wrong. Whether it is being undercharged at the supermarket, or taking a few envelopes or sellotape from work.

I know I couldn't feel good about myself in any circumstances. I can still remember "stealing" a packet of sweets from a local shop on the way home from school. I must have been about seven at the time. I had to eat them all before I got home or mum might have seen them. I was terrified and never did it again.

123kitty Mon 15-Jul-19 11:34:03

Honesty every time, (but I do think I'd like to be able to just walk off with the free/stolen goods!)

Witchypoo Mon 15-Jul-19 11:10:03

I always say something if overcharged or undercharged also if change is not right. I can live with myself quite comfortably this way. Honesty all the time.

Granarchist Mon 15-Jul-19 09:52:45

We bought the champagne for my daughter's wedding at Waitrose - seriously good special offer. On the way home my daughter checked the invoice and realised we had been under charged by two cases of 6 bottles. (We had bought a lot of champagne!!) We did a U-turn and went back - the poor person on the till was so relieved and the store gave us two bottles free as a thank you.

GillyMax Mon 15-Jul-19 04:54:00

I think if you take it back to the supermarket and show them they would probably say not to worry about it. Even if you have to pay for it you haven’t lost anything and I personally would feel better for having done the right thing. ?

GillyMax Mon 15-Jul-19 04:50:45

I would have told him, you did the right thing. I respect honest. ?

willa45 Mon 15-Jul-19 00:51:17

Chucky,
You most definitely did the right thing.

Most of us learned sound values growing up. Unfortunately, life gets in the way and people start 'bending' rules until they are no longer recognized.

Someone who knows they have been erroneously 'undercharged' is ethically bound to speak up. Choosing to stay silent and walking out of the store with the goods in hand would be the same as stealing!

annep1 Sun 14-Jul-19 23:06:57

Sue Donim I would say next time I am in the shop.
Chucky I would have done what you did.
Stealing is stealing. I wouldn't want someone to steal from me. So I have to practice what I preach.

Gonegirl Sun 14-Jul-19 22:29:59

* SueDonim*, what do you think?! grin

But then, I appear to be the bad girl of GN.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jul-19 21:33:41

Thanks, Sharon103! grin

JackyB Sun 14-Jul-19 21:19:12

I'd have done what you did, too, Chucky - IF I had noticed it. Which I probably wouldn't have.

cas58 Sun 14-Jul-19 21:00:58

I'd have done what you did. One time I though he had missed something and he did a recount and he had been right the first time! I was positive he had missed something. I use my phone calculator now!

sharon103 Sun 14-Jul-19 20:10:03

Sue, lucky purchase, (Shhh)