Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tiny Tots Graduating ... what do YOU think?

(134 Posts)
JulieMM Fri 19-Jul-19 12:26:30

This week my little 3 year old grandson ‘Graduated’ from Nursery. He’s a bright lad but had no idea what was going on, wearing a cap and gown and being handed a certificate. The photos taken show the puzzlement in most of the faces there and I felt quite sorry for them! I know a lot of primary schools do this now but at least those kids know what’s going on and can enjoy all the preparations and excitement if they choose to go. But these little tots looked quite bewildered! Am I being old fashioned?

mcem Sat 20-Jul-19 19:01:00

The important part is careful support for the transition process. Lots of contact between primary and secondary, opportunities to meet staff and pupils from other feeder primaries, close liaison between teachers,visits to the 'big'
school. A leaving party is just the icing on the cake but it's wrong to switch the attention away from that vital transition process and be distracted by posh frocks and 'graduations.'

Iam64 Sat 20-Jul-19 18:45:55

Not sure if I'm breaking gransnet rules about not talking about another thread here - but here goes.
Look at the thread about Bad Teachers - it's awful to see so many posts about negative experiences women of our age had at school. I for one am very pleased at the progress, at the recognition that transitions are significant events in the lives of children. The way schools approach those transitions speaks volumes about the their approach to the children they are responsible for.

GrandmaMoira Sat 20-Jul-19 16:15:32

My DGD finished primary school yesterday. Earlier in the week they had a disco, not a prom. She did have a smart dress but nothing too fancy. I think it is nice to have some sort of event to mark an important stage of life but not too formal at that age.

Lessismore Sat 20-Jul-19 15:30:54

Do 3 year olds have any concept of time?

Cabbie21 Sat 20-Jul-19 13:15:25

I think the cap and gown and the term ‘ graduation’ are totally inappropriate, but the other leaving ceremonies, presentations etc are fine.
I am looking forward to my youngest grandson’ s Leavers’ Service in church next week . ( It is a church primary school.) No special clothes or certificates, but it will be special in all sorts of ways.
The leavers all had the chance to buy a hoodie with Logo, some months ago, so it helped to identify them this last year.

Swanny Sat 20-Jul-19 13:00:41

My DGS graduated from his Nursery school 5 years ago and throughly enjoyed dressing up (in cap and gown provided by the school) and having a party with all his schoolmates, not just those moving on. The leavers had to stand up and say what they'd liked best about the school - the lunches grin The official photo I have of that day shows him the happiest of his time there, in earlier ones he just looks bewildered.

Craftycat Sat 20-Jul-19 12:34:25

Another daft thing from USA.
Our GCs had a moving up party which was much more fun for them than dressing up as teenagers. They all got a little gift & played loads of fun games & had tea & a lovely cake. Parents & Grandparents had a good time too.

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Jul-19 12:28:57

kittylester that does sound lovely. smile

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Jul-19 12:25:12

Perhaps this just reflects our attitudes to external recognition of our achievements?
I had no interest in my undergraduate congregation (but still went as it was important for my parents). It was quite an expensive event once you'd hired an outfit and all travelled back for the day, factoring in meals etc. It seemed pointless to me as I'd done all the work, knew my grades, had celebrated with my friends and felt it was just an unnecessary performance.
My daughters on the other hand all wanted to be at their congregations so we did go to those, however I didn't bother with my MA one as my parents had died by then!

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 12:06:57

Oh goodness! No new dresses here, it was just a lovely and very special assembly, moving up to senior school.

NotSpaghetti Sat 20-Jul-19 12:04:29

I think we'll never agree on this one.

Clearly grandparents are split on this as on proms and everything else. I think it is the inward preparation for moving up to mainstream schooling that is important, not the "graduation" which personally I feel quite negative about. My grandson "graduated" this week and his other grandmother was extremely excited. My daughter-in-law had a new dress for the occasion. Professional photos could be bought too... I suppose it boosts retail spending at a time when we might need it! hmm

HildaW Sat 20-Jul-19 12:03:53

P.S. although it was a mixed school the P.E. lessons were single sex and as I had learnt the man's steps it was all a bit confusing!

HildaW Sat 20-Jul-19 12:02:12

We had a 'soiree' at our fast fading ex grammar (labour council had got rid) school the whole thing was excruciatingly embarrassing. We had had a few P.E. lessons where we had learnt things such as the Gay Gordons and the Valetta (?) and I had worn my first pair (at 16) of high heels. No this was not the 1930s....but late 1960s! We were so out of step with the world!

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 11:44:30

my post: Sat 20-Jul-19 11:34:07

I should clarify - I was not a 'tot' or even leaving primary school!
I was 16 at the time.

annodomini Sat 20-Jul-19 11:36:01

In some authorities, pre-school and reception are combined as 'early years' - or that was the description when I was Chair of Governors of a primary school. They had their own playground, separated from the older children, and had a number of activities in common. So that made a smooth transition from one phase to the next. Children gradually became part of the school as a whole.
When I was at school, we were fortunate to have primary and secondary schools on the same campus and under the same head (Rector in Scotland). There was no great performance in going from one building to the next in which we had already had classes in needlework and PE.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 11:34:07

We had a 'dance' but stretch limousines had not been invented then.
I went on the bus as we didn't have a car; it was the first time I had worn mascara!

JackyB Sat 20-Jul-19 11:24:39

Proms have always been a part of school leaving in Germany. My husband has photos of his and he left school in 1968. He also has the Schultüte picture like the one that Mawbroon posted, which must date from about 1956 or 57.

However, as I said, the graduation ceremony at university is to this day unheard of here. None of my DS or DiLs got more than a letter in the post. And they had to provide the refreshments for a little stand-up celebration after they had presented their theses. (DS3 is still working on his, but we won't be going to Berlin when he's finished to see a handful of scruffy students eating sandwiches and drinking juice out of plastic mugs with their professors.)

Camelotclub Sat 20-Jul-19 11:12:56

Part of the ghastly ongoing Americanisation of this country. And as for Halloween and Prom Nights....

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 11:10:07

I do agree and think the prom thing has gone way over the top!!

Aepgirl Sat 20-Jul-19 11:08:01

This whole graduation, prom, thingy has got completely out of hand.

Tamayra Sat 20-Jul-19 11:06:34

Handsome lad ?

Roddi3363 Sat 20-Jul-19 10:39:30

AS a retired Maintained Nursery School Headteacher I find this totally unsuitable for such young children. Yes endings are as important as beginnings but this conceptually is way beyond the understanding of 3,4 and 5 year olds. My questions to ask would be why? Who is this really for?

Dianehillbilly1957 Sat 20-Jul-19 10:38:25

Went to my Granddaughter's 'Graduation' for her sake!
But feel this whole thing is totally ridiculous.
Why when America is so far away do we feel the need to have to copy them? What's happening to our own British ways & customs??
Let's get back to them...

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 10:26:23

I can imagine some confused tinies wondering what exactly they've done to cause all this "celebration" and fuss, apart from showing up each day.

I really don't understand this belief of some posters that they just show up each day!

The difference between 4 year olds starting in reception and the pupils leaving Y6 is amazing - both in academic achievement (whatever their level, and yes, they have all been assessed), their awareness of the world, their sporting prowess and their maturity.
The two children who received the excellent achievement awards at DGC's school were not the most academically or athletically brilliant - they were the two who have had the most difficulties to face in their lives. Everyone was so pleased for them.

Perhaps some think we should go back to the 'good old days' when children were seen and not heard.

Amagran Sat 20-Jul-19 10:25:34

Gonegirl, what a really lovely photo of your GS - you must feel so proud.

Ceremonies to celebrate achievements are great at any age, but I prefer to see them carried out within the usual context and style of the school, rather than emulating the trappings of American culture.