Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tiny Tots Graduating ... what do YOU think?

(134 Posts)
JulieMM Fri 19-Jul-19 12:26:30

This week my little 3 year old grandson ‘Graduated’ from Nursery. He’s a bright lad but had no idea what was going on, wearing a cap and gown and being handed a certificate. The photos taken show the puzzlement in most of the faces there and I felt quite sorry for them! I know a lot of primary schools do this now but at least those kids know what’s going on and can enjoy all the preparations and excitement if they choose to go. But these little tots looked quite bewildered! Am I being old fashioned?

Daddima Tue 23-Jul-19 14:39:10

I saw a post ( one of those’ proud mummy moments’ ones ) on Facebook showing the child graduating from reception class. Surely that’s instead of the nursery ones, and not as well as?

Callistemon Tue 23-Jul-19 11:56:13

I suppose it depends on the school and the child. Mine has loved it!

Lessismore Tue 23-Jul-19 11:24:15

I had a friend with a daughter who was just 4 when she started Reception....her birthday was August 28th.
My little 4 year old had an utterly miserable time in Reception, it's so sad, poor wee things.

I read now they are to be tested.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:54:19

Ps so she would have been moving up to senior school anyway, the only difference being that she would have missed the reception year at primary school.

The rules seem very rigid in some areas re summer-born children.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:51:48

DS and DIL did make enquiries, Maw but the rule here is that, if they are held back a year, then they join school in Y1 and have to miss reception year.
They were assured that, as much of reception is play-based, she would be fine and she has been.
She started school with friends she had made in pre-school and they will all be moving up to senior school together in September.

MawBroonsback Mon 22-Jul-19 10:34:14

That’s interesting Callistemon, DGD will be 5 on 30 August so could by rights have started school a year ago but DD and SIL decided to keep her at nursery for another year as they felt she would be too you g. It didn’t help that the decision had had to be made the previous December when she was just 3 but I think and hope it will have been the right decision for her - although being honest, perhaps admission half way through the academic year would have been ideal. As the youngest o three, , she might have coped with older children in her class, but we think it will do her good not to be the youngest for once in her life!

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:15:08

I can't say she would have looked bewildered though! grin
Had they had a ceremony I think she would have known full well what was happening, having spent a couple of 'taster days' in school and would have had a big beam on her face.

FarNorth Mon 22-Jul-19 10:14:20

My DGD went to Nursery up to 3, then Pre-school at a different time of day in the same building, until 5.

Callistemon Mon 22-Jul-19 10:11:07

Perhaps the OP's grandson is only three Maw; one of my DGC was only four a couple of days before starting in reception.
I don't remember a ceremony before leaving pre-school though.

MawBroonsback Mon 22-Jul-19 08:40:54

Am I missing something here about the “transition” in question?
Surely it’s just in a name?
My Birmingham grandchildren attended a Nursery until they went to school.
My London grandson’s nursery call it “pre-school” once the children are potty trained and they move to a different part of the building, I think he was about 2 and three quarters.

The “transition” is surely from nursery/pre- school to school is it not - so rising 5?
Could OP perhaps explain why she was asking about three year olds?

Elrel Mon 22-Jul-19 03:52:49

Ludicrous!

MissAdventure Sun 21-Jul-19 22:29:56

Yes, that's another issue too.
If I had taken off every day that was expected to attend school ceremonies, assemblies, leavers disco, leavers production, sports day, bring and buy sale, open evening, parents evening et al I wouldn't have been at work more than about 4-5 days for the last month!

kwest Sun 21-Jul-19 22:19:49

More pressure on parents to find the money for these silly ceremonies.
I have worked with children who always took ' non-uniform day' off school because they were embarrassed not to have nice enough casual clothes to turn up in.
Sometimes we can be embarrassing disadvantaged children with these thoughtless 'fun' ideas. A uniform is a way to create equality.

glammagran Sun 21-Jul-19 11:07:53

It also strikes me that not only is the idea of tots “graduating” entirely inappropriate it’s yet another reason for the parents having to eat into their holiday allowance if they are working.

Lessismore Sun 21-Jul-19 10:25:32

I suppose going to " big school" is important. It seems strange that we impose all these milestones and events on people.

We all develop and change at different rates. That seems to count for very little.

Magrithea Sun 21-Jul-19 10:01:34

It's not negative to feel that it's a bit much for 3 year olds to 'graduate' quizqueen. I agree it's a bit daft and almost certainly an import.

My daughter has just finished her first year as a TA and has organised gifts for all the children who've been in her class this year - not expensive but something that didn't happen when she and her brothers were at school! I

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 21-Jul-19 00:28:03

No not old fashioned Julie MM? I agree with you, and find the whole idea ridiculous at this age.

mcem Sat 20-Jul-19 23:58:12

A bit harsh to dismiss transitions as counting for nothing. The transition from primary to secondary is of huge significance to the pupils and, properly handled means a great deal of hard work by their teachers!

Nanna58 Sat 20-Jul-19 23:11:33

Meant ye gods!

Nanna58 Sat 20-Jul-19 23:10:16

DGS aged 4 had photo taken at nursery. He said he had to wear ‘a hat and coat’ and I thought he was confused, but lo and behold the photo is of him wearing a gown and mortarboard and ho,ding a scroll - he gods!!!

Shizam Sat 20-Jul-19 21:31:21

I dislike every American idea that has infected U.K. Baby showers, proms, trick or treating. Much prefer a nice British tea and cakes to say farewell. Or celebrate something new.

Lessismore Sat 20-Jul-19 21:19:28

Transitions count for nothing actually.

Coyoacan Sat 20-Jul-19 21:11:34

I hate it. My dd signed my granddaughter up one of these things, including a fancy new dress and a dance. I'm sure the children would have much preferred a picnic in a park

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 19:28:52

I hope I didn't break guidelines because I mentioned this thread on that one Iam64!!

If they are linked - then why not?

Antonia Sat 20-Jul-19 19:23:38

I think it's fun for the little ones. They don't need to know the significance of graduating to enjoy the dressing up and getting a certificate. They must be told by a nursery worker that it's because they are leaving and going to 'big school' soon. They might even associate it with a sense of achievement, who knows?