Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think School Prom for 11 yr old is getting out of hand??

(29 Posts)
EllanVannin Sat 20-Jul-19 14:31:16

It is wrong and also disgusting that in this climate of many who are struggling that things like this which blatantly show the haves and have-nots are becoming a common feature to further distress many parents and create very visible divisions between the two.

Pushy, showy-off parents are a scourge ! Horrible. What happens when these parents come to a sticky end ?

wildswan16 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:27:40

No, you are not being unreasonable. Unfortunately, until the school and headteachers crack down on some of the excesses we will continue to see this kind of nonsense.

A party to celebrate the end of primary school is not unreasonable but I suspect all the children would enjoy it just as much if they wore jeans and t-shirts.

fourormore Sat 20-Jul-19 14:26:22

It's great to hear from new posters - welcome!
You are not being unreasonable - The world has gone mad! Kiddies are no longer able to be kiddies! It is all over the top American pressure in my opinion.

Grandyma Sat 20-Jul-19 14:08:30

I’ve never posted before but I’ve just been reading this and I really do think this is wrong on so many levels!! As the grandmother of two DGC who are approaching this age group and would would hate this sort of thing, does anybody agree that this is going too far?? Maybe when they are leaving secondary school it’s ok but for Year 6 children?? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7264099/Mother-spoils-daughter-11-1K-lavish-prom-including-400-dress-horse-carriage.html?ito=link_share_article-factbox