Gransnet forums

AIBU

Friens booked surprise concert. Don't want to go.

(111 Posts)
annep1 Tue 23-Jul-19 14:31:00

Best and oldest friend has special anniversary soon. Has booked meal in nice hotel for ten of us. Also booked a tribute concert. Can't say which one in case I am recognised, but its very loud. We went with them last year (the way we were asked we couldnt say no) and I got through it with earplugs. My husband did not enjoy. Last time we visited she told me so that I would know to bring earplugs. Its going to be a possibly shock "surprise" for the others. I would be interested in hearing views. I am not looking forward to this. I would prefer to give her the cost and not go. It is so awkward. I would never book something that might not be someones taste. I know she means well. Shes a very kind person.

annep1 Tue 29-Oct-19 07:45:32

Well it seemed to but no contact since. Texts ignored. I'm just going to leave it for now.

dragonfly46 Tue 29-Oct-19 06:57:08

Oh dear - didn’t go well then?

annep1 Tue 29-Oct-19 06:38:30

Insomniac00 I wish I had heeded your advice!

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 23:04:29

Thank you Farnorth. Yes wasn't that ringing awful?.
Hithere it is painful so it would be a last resort.
And you're very welcome Springychicken .
Goodnight all.

SpringyChicken Thu 25-Jul-19 22:49:26

So pleased you appreciated my advice, Annepl. Thanks for saying. ? You'll sleep well tonight.

FarNorth Thu 25-Jul-19 19:57:07

Well done, annep1.
Enjoy the dinner, and I hope the other guests aren't too shocked by the choice of entertainment.

(I remember often having ringing ears the day after a loud concert, in my youth. It's not a new thing.)

Hithere Thu 25-Jul-19 19:29:06

Gone, sorry. Not fine

Hithere Thu 25-Jul-19 19:27:45

Annepl
I am aware of that piercing.
I have read mixed reviews about it so I haven't jumped to it yet.

I hope yours are fine for good!

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:34:46

I used to!

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:34:13

My son takes migraine. Hi used to. You have all my sympathy. My son got his ear pierced in some special way that is meant to help. Can't remember the detail.

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 18:29:41

Hithere I think it's better to be cheerful and positive in company. Especially as we get older.

Hithere Thu 25-Jul-19 16:50:55

With burdening her I meant managing it on your own and making her your shoulder to cry on

Hithere Thu 25-Jul-19 16:48:59

Annepl
I know what you mean!
I suffer from chronic migraines and only the closest to me have seen the true consequences of the condition.
They are not "just" headaches

You are a good friend by not burdening her with this

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:41:35

Hithere she is a good friend. You are right. I should have been honest. She does know about my condition which is very debilitating but as no one sees you when you're lying in bed unable to get up or even read, and only see you on your better days its hard for them to understand. We don't discuss illnesses much when we are together. No one wants to hear you moan.

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:32:51

Thanks Sharon and Lessismore. Hopefully we've both learnt a lesson.

Hithere Thu 25-Jul-19 16:26:14

I agree with quizqueen.

If you are such good friends, why do you lie to her and hide your condition from her?
I bet she wouldn't have bought you a ticket if you had told her you did not like the concert last year

From your update, she is a true friend as she respects your wishes.

Lessismore Thu 25-Jul-19 16:22:39

sorry I mean spaces, you have done paragraphs

sharon103 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:22:08

Well done anne, I bet you feel like a weights been lifted. Enjoy your meal. smile

Lessismore Thu 25-Jul-19 16:22:07

mary, this is meant kindly, start a new thread and use paragraphs......you will get a more helpful response.

Lessismore Thu 25-Jul-19 16:20:55

Well done anne but I'm sorry, an insensitive choice by the friend.

sharon103 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:20:42

Could someone advise mary294 how to start a new thread please as I don't know how too. Thank you .

mary294 Thu 25-Jul-19 16:10:07

I would appreciate some independent advice
I practically brought my granddaughter without any financial support from her parents my son and dil and that's was fine but in February she engineered a row with me packed up some bin bags and moved out turns out she had a boyfriend she was practically living with from the minute they met lying to saying she was revising for A levels with a friend anyway my son phoned me up with 4 very abusive phone calls I put the phone down on him 4 times he was so nasty and abusive it's unbelievable how nasty he was he said it was because I had sent abusive texts to my granddaughter but that's not what was ranting about.
I left everything alone because I realised granddaughter was probably lying about me that's what teenagers do she's 18 by the way and ditched her A levels which were 3 science
Anyway my husband has dementia and on his birthday nothing from my son so I texted him and asked him to text or call his dad and he started on me again with the abuse I didn't respond I was busy and can't text fast enough so I phoned him more abuse nasty abuse
I crashed my car wrote it off 2 weeks ago he lives nearby the accident was near my home I was taken to hospital, he never came near never phoned to see how I was nothing I was totally on my own due to my husband's illness. I have been falling over for a while had some broken disc broken rib and serious bruising. I had a really bad fall on Tuesday I thought I had broken my hips I ended up in hospital again and not a word from him it was horrible being on my own with no support from him my granddaughter is the only one who offered support

Now my daughter is calling me and telling me I should just phone him carry on like nothing has happened but I'm so hurt it's unbelievable how nasty he has been to me I've supported him through drug abuse stealing from me cash and goods jewellery ect
I have supported them through financial crisis after financial crisis it's hard to make this short but I can't pick up the phone like nothing has happened not after leaving me on my own in two life threatening events am I wrong wasn't that very cruel to not contact me or come to see me in the hospital he hasn't seen his father since new years eve, my husband was at his house picking up granddaughter and dil phoned him to say his dad was there and come and see him he said he was too busy I don't want to throw my daughter's efforts back in her face but I can't pretend nothing has happened I feel there's depths of nastiness you don't do and leaving your mother alone at those times is beyond belief to me, I'm sorry for the long post he was aware of the accident and the last fall through my granddaughter I don't know what to do everything inside me tells me he should have come to me on both occasions

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 13:27:53

It does MissAdventure thank you.

MissAdventure Thu 25-Jul-19 10:51:27

Oh well done ann!
It must feel as if a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders.
I'm so glad you told your friend.

annep1 Thu 25-Jul-19 10:03:35

Didn't finish......And thanks for your advice!