Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children carrying babies .

(18 Posts)
Atqui Mon 29-Jul-19 14:58:34

Our 8 year old grandchild wants to carry her year old cousin about, but we will only allow her to hold him when she is sitting down on the sofa. The mother of the older child thinks we are unreasonable. What do other people think ?

Lisagran Mon 29-Jul-19 15:01:15

What does the parent of the 1 yr old think?

paddyann Mon 29-Jul-19 15:08:16

you'll probably find the one year old doesn't want to be carried about and will let her know it.I dont think its a problem as long as theres someone nearby she wont drop the toddler unless its a wriggler .My daughter was 9 (and a half) when her brother was born and she helped even when he was tiny in his incubator ,she was allowed to tube feed him and help dress him.They only want to be involved and thats a good thing .Mind you I very rarely see anything as a problem '

Witzend Mon 29-Jul-19 15:18:49

It's easy IMO to over-estimate children's understanding/ common sense.
Dd once allowed her much younger cousins - maybe 10 and 12 - to carry Gdd of 8 months around. All OK until they decided to sit her down - on an ordinary dining chair with a hard stone floor underneath! Just as well I was within grabbing distance!
It evidently hadn't occurred to them that she was all too likely to fall very quickly and bash her head on that floor.

luluaugust Mon 29-Jul-19 15:46:51

Yes Witzend probably best and safest to allow in very limited circumstances and space. I bet the 1 year old won't stay still for long.

WadesNan Mon 29-Jul-19 15:53:50

It is a child, not a doll!

Atqui Mon 29-Jul-19 18:14:04

Exactly Wades Nan and Witzend . It’s lovely that she adores him, but he is a wriggler and quite heavy . His mother is not keen but not such a worrier as I am , but it’s a ‘ Not on my watch’ situation.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Jul-19 18:30:12

I only used to let mine hold them sitting down not walking about Kids are always tripping over

kittylester Mon 29-Jul-19 18:33:02

Do you mean like this?

Sara65 Mon 29-Jul-19 18:37:22

My nine year old granddaughter hoists her baby sister into her hip and carries her around, she’s a very sensible little girl, but I’m still a nervous wreck when I’m in charge.

Urmstongran Mon 29-Jul-19 18:43:53

Love the photos kittylester thanks for sharing.
😊

Atqui Mon 29-Jul-19 18:51:13

Prefer the second one !!!!!

Witzend Mon 29-Jul-19 21:40:57

Ha, I well remember when dd1 was just 3 and dd2 was no more than a week old - I was having 5 minutes' rest when dd1 came in carrying dd2 who she was clasping tight round the middle, having somehow got her out of the pram: 'I've got the dolly, Mummy!'

Mummy had a pink fit, but dd2 was none the worse!

Sar53 Mon 29-Jul-19 21:48:46

My DGD was 9 1/2 when her sister was born and from very early on would pick her up and bring her downstairs when she woke up. My DD was apprehensive to start with but it soon became apparent that big sister was very careful and protective of her baby sister. They are now 11 next week and 18 months old and totally adore each other.

Auntieflo Mon 29-Jul-19 22:10:52

Oh Witzend , how I remember that.
Our DS1 was just 2 and a half when DD was born. I went to the kitchen and turned round to see DS clutching the baby and saying, “I’ve got her for you”. They survived and are now both grandparents.

Callistemon Mon 29-Jul-19 22:34:46

I remember a friend telling me that her three year old came downstairs carrying two week old baby brother - "here he is, he was crying, mummy"!

In other countries older children have to carry little siblings - they are probably capable of more than we think.

BradfordLass72 Mon 29-Jul-19 22:49:51

At least if the 8 year old carries her, she hasn't far to fall - if this is what you're worried about.

If you (or any adult) tripped and dropped her, it could be disastrous.

lemongrove Mon 29-Jul-19 23:01:46

Callistemon 😱😄