Gransnet forums



(15 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 02-Aug-19 07:46:28

I am friendly with a young woman who has lived in UK since about 7 years old. Her mother remained in her home country but father and children came here. About two years ago her father was evicted from privately rented home for not paying rent on time even though he was getting his pension, and the three by now AC were contributing to running costs of the home. Cutting long story short, they ended up in a hostel, my friend father still takes money from three AC but sends it home to purchase land and build properties over there, she has been given a deposit by local council to rent her own flat as she told them her father was trying to force her into an arranged marriage. The father and remaining two AC are going to be offered a council property a.s.a.p they then will try to claim HB and other benefits as the father now elderly and she will give up private flat and move back home. Surely this is all wrong and i wish i didnt know about it all. Ihave told her i think what they are doing is against the law as surely if you own property you have to declare it. She just laughed and said it is what everyone does!!!!!! I was flabbergasted and not sure how i feel about her now sad

Pantglas1 Fri 02-Aug-19 08:01:02

Hopefully there will be checks made by the council which will bring it all to light?

annsixty Fri 02-Aug-19 08:03:10

We are just mugs for allowing it to happen if it really does.
I have been told of fathers claiming child benefit for children not even living here.
I do know of cases , absolutely true, of twoEnglish families , claiming so many benefits for a child born with disabilties that the father doesn't work but they live very well.
Some people can work the system but others, deserving and in need, don't get what they are morally entitled to.

Sara65 Fri 02-Aug-19 08:10:22

Well it’s the same old story, if despicable people like your friend and her family, defraud the system, there’s a lot less available for people in genuine need

harrigran Fri 02-Aug-19 08:30:33

I am disgusted that people receive benefits in this country and redistribute it in another country, not doing much for our economy.

EllanVannin Fri 02-Aug-19 09:07:45

Stories like this make me sick !
18 months ago I had a TIA, not the crippling strokes we read about, but nevertheless a warning as I am at high risk.

I applied for AA ( short-term until I felt better ) because I was getting taxis instead of the bus because of suffering nausea and lack of confidence, which I knew wouldn't last though the confidence isn't as it should be yet.
I was turned down because I was able to feed myself !!

Rather than fester indoors for months I was making the effort getting out and about but spent a fortune on taxis during that time besides fighting my way out of going into a depression. Dizzy for weeks after as well and just generally on pins in case I had another mini-stroke or worse.

However, over the months I'd been determined to get myself back on track again and because of my 80% recovery I'd have rang the DWP to tell them I no longer needed help because I'd have been scared of being reported as looking " normal " and would have worried.
That 20% is still my lack of confidence but I force myself to overcome it.

When I hear of the above it just makes me furious knowing that it's just a fraction of what goes on !
Does it pay to be honest I ask myself-----in my case, YES !!

Sara65 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:11:08


You need to report them

Poppyred Fri 02-Aug-19 09:16:52

Please report them!

Iam64 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:18:24

What Sara65 said. Make a proper report to the various authorities involved, the council, the benefits agencies etc. Give clear information that can be checked out. You can do this anonymously if you don't want to give your name. but it would be best if you gave your name, with the agreement it wouldn't be made public or shared with the family in any way.

Daisymae Fri 02-Aug-19 09:25:33

Yes, you should report them.

dragonfly46 Fri 02-Aug-19 09:26:34

I agree they should be reported. It may lead to others being caught. Do it anonymously.

eazybee Fri 02-Aug-19 09:35:30

I think what they are doing is against the law as surely if you own property you have to declare it. She just laughed and said it is what everyone does!!!!!!

You are so right; exploiting a welfare system set up to help the truly disadvantaged is prevalent across all social classes; honest people are regarded as mugs.

Report her, but sadly, don't expect any one to act on it.

annsixty Fri 02-Aug-19 09:54:25

I know someone very well who gets the higher rate of AA with no justification whatsoever.
He applied for a blue badge as his breathing is not good in very cold weather.
Someone from AGE UK came to the house to help him with thr form.
She said there is something else you could apply for and helped him to fill the forms in.
6 weeks later he got a cheque for £8oo+ and gets about £350 every 4 weeks.
He was turned down for the blue badge .

Nonnie Fri 02-Aug-19 11:00:27

I agree with Iam, you have a moral duty to report them.

This sort of thing gives genuine claimants a bad name, they are called scroungers.

I think it has always gone on because those who know don't report. I have a friend in her 60s who trained in London with 2 other women. Those women have never worked, they live in the southeast on benefits despite never having anything wrong with them. She is still in touch with them despite living in another country and she thinks it is terrible that the UK allows this to happen. Presumably they have a way of convincing the authorities that they have a genuine claim.

Daisymae Fri 02-Aug-19 13:31:59

There's a government hotline so you can do it by phone. We are all paying for this, it's not a victimless crime