Gransnet forums

AIBU

In law issue... childcare

(386 Posts)
SueH49 Sat 03-Aug-19 07:06:00

IMO it is unreasonable of any parent/parent in law to think it is their right to have a grandchild in their care on their terms. It is the sole responsibility and decision of the parents to decide who looks after their child.

Grandparents had their time of raising a family and presumably raised capable adults who now have the right to dictate how their children are raised and cared for.

If OP's MIL is terminally ill then one has to ask if she is fit to have the charge of an 8 month old baby.

BlueBelle Sat 03-Aug-19 06:53:00

* my respect for in laws has gone and my dislike grown* It certainly shows in your post You make you husband sound very weak, is he? Or is he trying to deal with a dying mum and a worried upset dad, is he trying to juggle balls to keep both families happy ?
How can a dying lady offer five afternoons childcare?
You gave in over the house and are a very angry lady because you did, you sound as if you are determined to never get railroaded into anything again
I think you have made your mind up and your baby will not be going to the parents afternoon care, I can understand this but do be prepared for big injuries to your marriage, as your husband tries to appease his parents. He is torn into two, although of course his loyalty should be with you and his son but the fact his mum has a limited time left has pulled him unless of course he’s a mummy’s boy who has always done what his parents expect and never really ‘left’ them only you know that
Stick to your guns but be kind not angry in how you do it

crystaltipps Sat 03-Aug-19 05:18:59

Yes I wonder how she will manage daily childcare whilst being so ill?

stella1949 Sat 03-Aug-19 05:11:38

You say you moved there because of MIL having a terminal illness - but she is intending to look after your child ? So she has had a miraculous recovery .

agnurse Sat 03-Aug-19 04:13:00

It is not necessary to live on the same street to be able to share time together. We lived over 100 miles away from my GPs when GF was dying and we still saw them regularly.

If this is how the ILs behave, I wouldn't let my child alone with them for an hour, let alone an afternoon. They are trying to destroy their son's marriage by inserting themselves into it.

YANBU, OP. Sometimes people manage to grow up to be decent human beings in SPITE of what their parents did, rather than because of it.

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 03:04:08

Namsnanny
Maybe i don't fully understand the “human need” aspect. Thank you for sharing your views.

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 03:01:41

Namsnany
Does closeness with your loved ones at time of death not include regular weekly visits? Days out initiated and organised by me to ensure mil, fil and dh have fond memories? That i can then share with my son when he is older? Does closeness mean forcing house purchase or child care arrangements? Causing son to be torn? I have not made my decision as to how far i will go to ensure my childcare preferences are respected.

Namsnanny Sat 03-Aug-19 02:42:36

Maternityleave…….Read your original post and the reply to Paddyann back to yourself.

I think you will find you have made your mind up and answered your own question.

I would have thought that the one time you would want to be close to your family was if or when you were dying.

That's not manipulation, its human need.

I wonder how you would feel in that situation?

Best of luck

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 02:17:29

Hi Paddyann
Thank you for your reply.

Firstly i dont hate my in laws. I do not respect them so much or like them due to their emotional blackmail re house purchase on same road. Is it unreasonable for me to feel resentment especially as DH knew exactly what house we wanted but were both pressured because of mils illness. Does terminal illness justify such conduct? I refuse to be manipulated again re my sons childcare. Again dh and i agreed that a nursery would be best. He even paid into work childcare vouchers whilst i was pregnant off his own accord. Thus demonstrating our joint parenting approach. Suddenly he has changed his mind.

paddyann Sat 03-Aug-19 01:44:16

Surely they cant be that bad if they raised the man you love and who is the father of your child? I dont understsand all these posts about DIL's hating inlaws,I have been a DIL for 44 years and I love my MIL dearly.That is not to say we haven't had issues in the past BUT she's a wonderful GM to our children and GGM to our grandchildren.I thinkyou need to sit down with your husband THEIR son and discuss this its his child too and he must have some say in how he's raised.I have a SIL and a dil and I would be horrified if they thought like this about me ESPECIALLY if I had a terminal illness .

MaternityLeave Sat 03-Aug-19 01:10:54

I have been with Dh for 14 years, married 4 and have 8 month old son.
In laws create minor issues other than when they emotionally manipulated dh to buy house on same road using mil terminal illness as leverage. As i was pregnant i was forced to accept this or create war in my home. Since then my respect for in laws has gone n my dislike grown. It also created a permanent crack in my relationship with DH. But i visit in laws for a few hours every week to ensure mil n fil have regular access, send pics n videos and organised trips to the park and zoo.
My current gripe is me n dh agreed son will fo nursery 3 days a week n i will be home 2 days a week once mat leave finishes.
Today dh says we should leave son with inlaws every afternoon. I am livid as it is a big decision and i know they are pressuring and manipulating him again. He is using cost saving as an excuse and says nursery days are too long for a baby but he has enrolled on voucher scheme at work and i am not interested in saving pennies. He also fails to mention his families views on this. Clearly they have spoken about it and agreed in my absence and he is now “working” on me. This is the very reason mil wanted to keep us local.
I refuse to accept this because:
1. I think my son will benefit socially and intellectually from nursery
2. I do not want in laws to have regular time with son in my absence
3. I dislike their approach
4. I will not have childcare support thrown in my face later or made to feel indebted or grateful leading DH to be further manipulated
5. I don't want them to influence my sons way of thinking or behaviour
Please advise what i can do? Am i being unreasonable or selfish?
In laws dote on son.