Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU - putting dishclothes into the dishwasher

(127 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Sun 04-Aug-19 10:52:04

Urgh - I went to unload the dishwasher this morning (my husband had loaded it and set it going last night) to find that he'd put three dishclothes in with the dishes, to wash them.

He did this once before, years and years ago, because "Kim and Aggie did it". I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't give a toot what Kim and Aggie do/did, but in my house that was NEVER to happen again. And - to my knowedge, but now I'm not so sure - he never did it again.

So - AIBU to not want dirty dishcloths put in with the plates/cups/glasses etc in the dishwasher.

His argument is that it gets so hot in the dishwasher that any germs on the clothes are killed off, and it's actually a hygienic way to clean the cloths.

(I have taken the cloths out and re-run the dishwasher.)

BlueSapphire Mon 05-Aug-19 09:17:36

I use j-cloths and yes I do chuck them in the dish-washer along with the scouring sponges. Can't see anything wrong with it. Yes, I know j-cloths are disposable, but they seem to last for ever.

Willow500 Mon 05-Aug-19 09:45:38

I've done it a couple of times but they didn't seem to go as white as when I clean the sink with them and bleach - I then fill the sink with hot water and put the cloths in it for a couple of minutes. Coffee stains gone from the sink and cloths lovely and clean. I've just looked at the microwave method and will give that a go tonight though.

MawB Mon 05-Aug-19 09:48:29

Just puzzled confused as to what some people wear for doing the washing up grin

inishowen Mon 05-Aug-19 11:31:10

I've done it but the clothes don't come out nice and fresh, more grey and soggy. I wouldn't do it again.

Peaseblossom Mon 05-Aug-19 11:41:15

I put my dishcloths in the dishwasher every day along with the sponge scourer, and the dish mop brushes. I don't see what the problem is, it's hygienic. I use the sponge cloth type of dishcloths I don't like the fabric or knitted type because they get very smelly. I don't understand why people think it's not hygienic because it's still wet! If you're worried about any chemicals on it then just rinse it under the tap and squeeze it out.

Caro57 Mon 05-Aug-19 11:45:38

Mine go in dishwasher and washing machine

JanaNana Mon 05-Aug-19 11:50:19

I put the dishcloths in a solution of Milton overnight. I don't have space in the kitchen for a dishwasher so it's not an option for me. I do remember the Kim & Aggie programmes though and remember one of them recommending that it was a good idea, as the water was hot enough to disinfect them.

GabriellaG54 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:03:23

I use J cloths (actually Waitrose version £2.98 for 25)
They last for ages and I leave overnight in a small tub of water with a few drops of Milton whuch gets changed once a week.
When it's useful kitchen days are over (about every 8 weeks) I use it to wipe over bathroom fixtures, skirting boards/lintels then outside courtyard table and chairs after which it's shredded and put in compost bin.

Rosina Mon 05-Aug-19 12:05:52

Grannyknot I remember that post - it almost made me retch. I cannot stand those brushes and only ever use the toilet duck paper pads on a stick. Slightly deviating from subject here - sorry! I would be concerned about the dishcloths coming loose and getting caught on the whirling arms, and then paying a lot of money to get it all fixed. Microfibre cloths for me - clean one every day and all washed at 60 degrees with tea towels.

oldgaijin Mon 05-Aug-19 12:07:50

I used to put all the horse stuff in the dish washer...bits, stirrup irons etc, they all came out lovely and shiny. Not at the same time as the dishes, though.

Theoddbird Mon 05-Aug-19 12:18:38

Every single one of my cleaning cloths goes in with regular wash at 30 degrees. I only use paper towel if one of the cats are sick. Everyone seems do obsessed with everything being free of germs....

seadragon Mon 05-Aug-19 12:37:17

I was startled (very!) when Mary Berry demonstrated putting dishcloths in the dishwasher.... I like your idea though, shysal

Cabbie21 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:54:55

I change dish cloth every other day. It goes in the washing machine with whatever I am washing so temperature will vary. I have put it in the dishwasher, but I too would worry about it getting tangled up. I have just had a new dishwasher so am not going to risk it.
I can’t be doing with all this Milton, bleach or whatever. We have never had food poisoning.

Notsooldat75 Mon 05-Aug-19 12:58:05

Has anyone heard of putting crocs in the dishwasher? I imagine they’d be fine, but, being a nervous Nellie, I don’t want to ruin them or the dishwasher!

MawB Mon 05-Aug-19 13:07:06

Is it just me?
Cloths/clothes? confused

maddyone Mon 05-Aug-19 13:10:09

I don’t put my toilet brush in the dishwasher because I don’t own a toilet brush, I think they’re disgusting. I clean my toilet every day , I don’t need a toilet brush.
Dishcloths get washed in the washing machine pretty much daily. I chuck then in with the washing and wash with biological liquid. They come out clean and sweet smelling. Preferably I line dry, but sometimes they go in the dryer.

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:15:29

No! never ever put crocs in the dishwasher, it wipes the smile off their faces! ???

lemongrove Mon 05-Aug-19 13:17:27

GNers must be the cleanest people on the planet.Or do you think it’s an age thing?

Calendargirl Mon 05-Aug-19 13:18:22

MawB

You ask what people wear when washing up? My usual clothes and rubber gloves. Have I missed an in joke?

Mcrc Mon 05-Aug-19 13:34:29

Your husband loaded the dishwasher! Yes, I think you're being unreasonable worrying about it. I don't think it will cause any harm and won't hurt your dishes or the wash process.

nanamac77 Mon 05-Aug-19 13:47:40

I agree with Riverwalk. There is nothing on dishcloths that isn't already on the crockery in the machine. They get a much more intensive clean in there than anywhere else.
HAve you noticed the increased proliferation of allergies these days? One suggestion for its cause is that we are too pernickety about hygiene etc and need to be exposed to a certain amount of germs/bacteria etc to develop a strong immune system.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 05-Aug-19 13:50:41

The chap who cooks his boil in the bag fish in the dishwasher is only doing what Woman's Hour rcommended for a whole salmon a few years ago, tightly wrapped in foil of course and without the dishes!
As for washing loo brushes in there, good grief!

EthelJ Mon 05-Aug-19 14:33:05

I would never think of doing it, but I don't think it would do any harm my dishwasher washes at much higher temperature than the washing machine so I understand your husbands reasoning

willa45 Mon 05-Aug-19 14:33:32

Some of us call them 'dishrags' in the US. I throw them in the washing machine with other like items (place mats and dishtowels). I use hot water, detergent and a squirt of bleach and they come out fresh and clean. An occasional (three hour) soak in Oxy Clean solution does the trick to get rid of stubborn stains. They come out like new!

A friend of mine throws her sponges in the dishwasher and they do come out squeaky clean. Sponges can be a problem because they hold moisture for a long time, hence they also grow bacteria. I stopped using them for that reason. For those of you who can't be without, wash and rinse thoroughly after each use, then pop them in the microwave oven for a few seconds to remove residual bacteria and odor.

EthelJ Mon 05-Aug-19 14:33:47

I would never wash a toilet brush in there though!!