Gransnet forums

AIBU

.. to wonder what happened to manners?

(119 Posts)
Gaunt47 Wed 07-Aug-19 14:59:28

I do something similar when someone barges by or if I stand aside and they don't thank me. I act as though they had said thank you, and sing out cheerily "oh you're welcome".

Sara65 Wed 07-Aug-19 14:38:11

Aggie

I’m the same, somebody crashes into me, and I say, oh, I’m so sorry

GoodMama Wed 07-Aug-19 14:27:51

What an unpleasant encounter. Unfortunately rude people come in all ages.

SparklyGrandma Wed 07-Aug-19 14:27:14

Withering look I agree with as an expression EllaVannin

Or apologise yourself which is very British..

Glammy57 Wed 07-Aug-19 14:21:45

aggie. I am the same - always apologise when someone bumps into me! If I could bring one thing back from extinction it would be good manners.

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 14:16:59

Or I should correct myself and say that it was ME that thought she was a teacher. Apologies!

So she's just a rude woman who is looking after rude children

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 14:14:15

Gosh, Paperbackwriter! Of course she wasn't a teacher. How interesting that many of us assumed she was.

Paperbackwriter Wed 07-Aug-19 14:12:42

EllanVannin Oh she got a withering look all right - unfortunately she hadn't spoken till she'd swished past me so the look was wasted!

Paperbackwriter Wed 07-Aug-19 14:11:20

Er.. I didn't say she was a teacher! Only that she was teaching her children rotten manners. I wish her joy of them when they're teenagers and still as utterly graceless as she was.

Sarahmob Wed 07-Aug-19 13:57:33

Why assume it’s a teacher? Surely they’re on holiday from school!

maddyone Wed 07-Aug-19 13:28:00

Aggie, that made me laugh, you are obviously very British.

I’m another who thinks the woman wasn’t a teacher, whoever she was, she was as rude as the children.

EllanVannin Wed 07-Aug-19 13:21:37

I'd have given her " one of my withering looks " instead. It's worked in the past when schoolchildren have hustled me to get on the bus, then a " sorry " comes forthwith.

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 13:15:25

It was possibly one of the Mum's 'helping' out.

Iam64 Wed 07-Aug-19 13:11:28

Doesn't sound like a teacher to me. Does sound like a very rude woman and children who weren't properly supervised , whoever she was

felice Wed 07-Aug-19 13:07:33

My comment is always "do you practice being rude or does it come naturally?".
By the time they figure out the question I have usually moved on.

Minniemoo Wed 07-Aug-19 13:02:54

Sounds like a very ignorant teacher. Not surprised it's niggling at you. It would me as well.

aggie Wed 07-Aug-19 13:02:21

My Family are known to giggle when someone walks into me because it is an automatic response to say "sorry" when it is not even my fault !

Gonegirl Wed 07-Aug-19 12:56:41

You would have thought a "sorry" would have come naturally to her. This generation are different to how we were/are.

Paperbackwriter Wed 07-Aug-19 12:54:40

I was in our local M&S food store this morning and had stopped to glance at the headlines of papers I don't normally read (as you do..). A bunch of children came crashing through, talking and looking at something on a phone. I moved a little, and, as they seemed oblivious to me - one had already crashing into my bag - said (quietly), "be careful" as they bundled past. A woman with them then breezed past saying, "We're just trying to get to the door. It's you who's in the way." I was nowhere near the damn door) I thought, whatever happened to good manners? A brief, "sorry" would have been covered it. And what message is she teaching those children? I now hate myself for sounding so sodding fogey-ish. I wish I'd had something acidly apposite to say at the time - she sounded so rude and entitled.