Gransnet forums

AIBU

We are NOT ‘you guys’

(156 Posts)
GinJeannie Wed 07-Aug-19 15:08:09

AIBU in absolutely hating being referred to as ‘you guys’? DH and myself really resent being called this. It’s bad enough when staff in shops, hotels, etc use this awful phrase but now I’ve had a text from DD using it. We are her parents, Mum and Dad, a family nickname even, all highly preferable to this. I replied with a request to please not use that phrase for us and did at least get a thumbs up emoji by return! Be interested to hear what other GN feel!

BradfordLass72 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:38:35

Blimey, if something so small bothers you, especially from your daughter, how on earth do you cope with the big problems?

Grandma2213 Fri 09-Aug-19 00:35:43

henetha I agree, being called anything is better than being ignored. I don't care really as the people who say these things really mean no harm. It is just natural to them.

SueDonim Fri 09-Aug-19 00:19:15

We attended a graduation last year. The principal/VC began his speech with 'Men and women, I welcome you here today blah blah blah.'

I suppose it was meant to be egalitarian but it sounded most peculiar. At least with 'Ladies and gentleman' women came first. With 'men & women' we've been related to second place!

Though I suppose he could have started with 'Guys, I welcome...' grin

MissAdventure Thu 08-Aug-19 22:43:06

All this thread does is prove that you'll never please everyone.

Razzy Thu 08-Aug-19 22:33:18

I don’t mind it, it’s very American. I used to live there so that might be why! I hate hate hate being called “Mrs ...”. I am Ms and have my own surname and do not want to be addressed by my marital status purely because I am female!

fizzers Thu 08-Aug-19 20:41:25

I don't mind 'you guys' at all

Grandmama Thu 08-Aug-19 20:32:12

My DDs call us the Oldies or the Wrinklies. It's said by them and accepted by us in good humour. They and the SiLs are wonderful, will do anything for us.

GreenGran78 Thu 08-Aug-19 19:53:41

I don’t care too much what I am called, as long as it is done in a friendly, not patronising way.

Our local hospitals always ask newly admitted patients how they would like to be addressed, and it is then written above their bed and always respected.

My elderly neighbour always says, “Good morning, young lady,” with a twinkle in his eye, when we meet.. He is 86. I am 80!

Aepgirl Thu 08-Aug-19 19:08:38

When I am out with my female friends we really detest ‘you guys’. We are all female! Some people say ‘hello ladies’ - lovely.

lilypollen Thu 08-Aug-19 18:56:34

Just as every supermarket assistant says "have a nice day" "you guys" has caome across the Atlantic. Been travelling to USA for 40 odd years and somehow there the nice day thing has always sounded sincere, here I find it odd. Just being a grumpy old git woman!

Thingmajig Thu 08-Aug-19 18:54:00

Our 5 year old granddaughter has started using it recently. Yesterday "you guys" (us) had to watch her opening the car door, her latest achievement!!!
It's not a phrase I love, but it's quite sweet on the wee ones lips. grin

Orchidlover Thu 08-Aug-19 18:47:57

Hate
awww bless you !

kwest Thu 08-Aug-19 18:14:08

I like it. when our grandson was three we were looking after him at his own house. We were having dinner when he announced " There is pudding in the fridge and you guys can have some". We thought it was really funny and I have liked the expression since then. When younger people say it to me I feel 'included'.

jura2 Thu 08-Aug-19 17:52:08

DD2 always calls us the 'fossils' - very affectionately- and we don't mind at all.

Grannyrebel Thu 08-Aug-19 17:49:37

Our grandkids called us the fossils for a while after grandparents in a book they were reading! Just makes us laugh. Don't mind "you guys" either.

jura2 Thu 08-Aug-19 17:49:07

Just had 3 days away in a lovely place above Montreux- and there were lots of USA tourists- we were asked the question about 5 times 'where are you guys from'? and really did NOT mind at all. Everyone was very friendly and so happy to get some local info. It is an expression from the USA and we just accepted it as such, with a smile.

Riverwalk Thu 08-Aug-19 17:42:17

As with any form of address it's all about context and how it's said - I don't have a problem with 'you guys', in fact it's preferable to 'girls' which always sounds patronising at our age.

I rather hope she was fired

Esspee I rather hope you're kidding shock

Craicon Thu 08-Aug-19 17:39:27

Over here in the south west of Ireland, a group of two or more is regularly referred to as ‘the lads’ or ‘you guys’.
Initially, it sounded strange and I thought they’d genuinely made a mistake and thought I was a man with my very short hair but it’s common parlance just as love, duck, lass is, in parts of the UK.
I certainly don’t get hung up on it and it just makes me smile nowadays.

rafichagran Thu 08-Aug-19 17:32:35

Have no problem with it at all. Much more to worry about.

Esspee Thu 08-Aug-19 17:20:45

For a short time, when calling a company I get work from, one of their office staff kept calling me "my lovely". It set my teeth on edge and I so wanted to complain as it was decidedly unprofessional.
I haven't come in contact with her lately. I rather hope she was fired.

Pat1949 Thu 08-Aug-19 17:19:23

I can’t stand ‘you guys’ either. In fact I don’t like the word guy. Another phrase I hate is ‘fur baby’. It’s a dog, goodness sake.

Tweedle24 Thu 08-Aug-19 16:54:24

I have no problem with ‘madam’. I was taught that was the polite way to address a married or older woman.

Unfortunately, words seem to develop their own connotations so ‘madam’ is now someone who runs a brothel. I think the context and tone of voice are more important.

discodiva Thu 08-Aug-19 16:24:15

I was called sweetie by the young woman at our local bakers. Made me smile.

angelic Thu 08-Aug-19 16:12:17

Our Grandson’s Primary School, Teacher, kept addressing us Guys! Or you guys!!!
Really grated in me, made it worse knowing that Grandad knows this, and spent the whole time grinning and trying to get my attention, I spent the whole time not looking at him.
(You can imagine the drive home?)

Doreen5 Thu 08-Aug-19 16:06:37

I hate it! Last time it happened I responded by saying 'I am NOT your guy!'.