Gransnet forums

AIBU

To ask the weather to be kind

(17 Posts)
tanith Sat 10-Aug-19 11:45:20

We have tickets booked to see Evita at Regent’s Park open air theatre tonight.
Booked in the depth of Winter thinking the weather would be reasonable if not good but the stars decided otherwise.

Wish us luck that a. It’s still on. b. We aren’t drowned or blown away .. ??⛈

Luckygirl Sat 10-Aug-19 11:51:21

Ask for it to be kind indeed.....! My DD and partner run outdoor orchestral concerts with fireworks and the whole shebang. They are on tenterhooks as about 7,000 tickets sold for today's event and the wind is likely to gust up to 47 mph - not great for their huge Glastonbury-style stage or for the large relay screens!

Hope that Evita goes ahead and you have a good time.

Charleygirl5 Sat 10-Aug-19 11:53:42

Oh dear tanith- I agree one would expect the weather to be a lot better than what we have at present.

I cannot see them performing outdoors if there is a howling gale - you would be lucky to hear a word as you sat, hoping you would not be blown across Regent's Park.

Good luck.

tanith Sat 10-Aug-19 11:59:22

Thanks and good luck to your DDs event.

We have to travel into central London as they never cancel a performance before it’s start time so we’ll hold our breath and hope. The forecast does say the wind will drop and chances of rain lessen at 17.00 so fingers crossed.

MissAdventure Sat 10-Aug-19 12:00:19

Hope you have a great evening, tanith.
Please behave, weather!

Grandma70s Sat 10-Aug-19 12:45:10

I hope it keeps dry at least.

I used to live very close to the Regents Park Open Air Theatre, and I have very happy memories of being able to hear the louder bits, especially the music. I also remember being extremely cold in the audience in the middle of summer. Blankets and mulled wine were on offer. Very atmospheric, though.

EllanVannin Sat 10-Aug-19 13:02:41

I know you can't do anything about the weather but I think it's so sad that these outdoor events are marred or at worst, cancelled after having booked months ahead. You'd think that towards mid-August that stormy weather would well be behind you.

I feel so sorry for those who've already missed out on their entertainments, such as in Newquay where thousands would normally have gathered.

Farmers too must be feeling it with their various harvesting crops. It's so unfair all round but as I'd said, we can't do a thing about it as all we can do is live in hope that the weather at least holds out for the duration of these concerts/theatres. I hope so.

nanaK54 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:40:22

Tanith that sounds wonderful, I am sending some positive vibes for a lessening of the wind speed for you

tanith Sun 11-Aug-19 00:26:32

Well thanks everyone the weather held all evening clear skies, no rain just wind but it was fine. The show was great we all enjoyed it immensely.
I’ve just got home and have brought my hot chocolate up to bed while I check on the news before I go to sleep..

Alima Sun 11-Aug-19 06:58:57

Brilliant tanith, so glad the weather held out for you. (Saw Midsummer Nights Dream in Regents Park years ago. Magical).

cornergran Sun 11-Aug-19 08:02:55

Phew, delighted for you tanith, sounds a wonderful experience.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Aug-19 08:22:40

Pleased you had an enjoyable and dry evening tanith.

tanith Sun 11-Aug-19 08:25:02

My 14 yr old GD really loved it even though unless you knew the story it was pretty hard to follow (I had told her to research the story but she obviously didn’t) but it had lots of loud pyrotechnics and atmospheric smoke etc the singing and dancing was brilliant. She’s really into drama at school so a good experience for her although I was surprised she seemed to be the only teenager there.

Charleygirl5 Sun 11-Aug-19 08:52:02

So so glad you managed to get there in one piece, were not blown away and enjoyed the show. Definitely a late night for the family but it sounds as though it was well worth it.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Aug-19 09:43:29

That is brilliant - so glad that you had a great evening.

DD's outdoor concert survived too, although Spitfire fly over and parachute drops had to be cancelled.

How wonderful for your 14 year old GD to have been there. I used to take my DDs on coach trips to London to see all the wonderful shows that were around then - they often talk of it still. Your DGD will remember last night.

MawB Sun 11-Aug-19 12:05:20

Anybody need one of these?

grannyqueenie Sun 11-Aug-19 12:07:16

maw ??