Gransnet forums

AIBU

Leggings!

(183 Posts)
Kupari45 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:35:55

AIBU to think that overweight ladies look absurd in leggings and short T shirts?
Just come home after shopping in local town. While waiting for the bus I couldnt help but notice how many ladies wear tight leggings and tight t shirts - some almost look naked- in fact one had pale pink leggings on and looked obscene.
Before some of you shoot me down in flames I will admit to being size 16- but I wear clothes that fit me.!
Apart from looking a mess - surely on a hot day tight polyester isnt very comfortable.
I thought leggings were supposed to be worn under "Tunic Tops"- but apparently not.
This is just an observation- but would be interested in your opinions.

annodomini Mon 12-Aug-19 22:28:11

A sad example of a young woman in not very opaque leggings through which it was possible to see, without even looking (IYSWIM), that under the leggings there was a Tena Lady or equivalent.

GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 21:46:49

There's enough social pressure on women telling us what we should and shouldn't do without women joining in with it.

Laugh at the fat woman with visible rolls of fat if you like. How judgemental.

Iam64 Mon 12-Aug-19 21:36:40

I like clothes and dress to suit myself. I recognise I can be sniffy about people wearing clothes I wouldn't choose to wear for various reasons - but this thread had me feeling I should rush out and buy some truly awful leggings and a short T-shirt that would expose all the flaws I dress to cover. I'm with GagaJo - body shaming is not a Good Thing.

MiniMoon Mon 12-Aug-19 20:54:13

I've got a couple of pairs of leggings. I wear them with long tunics, swing dresses and the like.

annep1 Mon 12-Aug-19 20:52:39

I love my thick leggings with long tops and thinner ones under tunic type dresses ( seasalt do lovely ones)

I do not think anyone should wear short tops with leggings especially ones that totally mold to your body parts. As Rosieleah said its as if they've forgotten to put a skirt on.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a prude and think they are immodest and not flattering at all.

And off topic a little, the shorts which don't completely cover their cheeks are unbelievable!
I'm sure men are enjoying them. But of course they're wrong for looking.

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 20:52:09

Oh come on, in every aspect of life somethings look good and other's don't. I would never tell anyone what to wear, they are free to wear what they like, but I do not have to like them in it or think it suits them.

All of us at sometime in our lives come to terms with the irregularities of our figures, none of us is perfect. I have no waist, my hips are where most people have a waist and I have learnt from the bitter experience of photographs, that anything that belts around the waist, makes me look like a sack of potaoes tied in the middle and 5 sizes bigger than I actually am.. This applies whether I am overweight, weigh just right or are under weight, while clothes with a high waist or no waist at all are more flattering.

As a general rule if you are plump, it is best to avoid clothes that cling. If you do wear them, you have to accept that others will think you foolish.

It has got nothing to do with women supporting each other of getting into groups and fighting. It is a simple aesthetic judgement.

GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 20:34:11

Body shaming

GagaJo Mon 12-Aug-19 20:33:58

I think it's unkind to say slim women can wear short shirts with leggings but not fat. No one gets to make that choice for anyone else.

As women we should support and build each other up. Not divide into small groups and infight.

The world is hard enough for women without attacking each other and being unduly cruel and critical.

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Aug-19 19:41:16

My front bit looks as good as my arse thanks, I don't wear cheap almost see through leggings though I wear quality ones. I've seen plenty of 25 year olds and younger with an arse that should be covered mine on the other hand looks damn fine as do many others.

BlueBelle Mon 12-Aug-19 19:11:49

I like leggings but only with tunics or jumpers that cover not just the bum flexiblefriend but the front bit which can look terrible in leggings, camel toe and all

wildswan16 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:09:40

Even if you're slim, you need to cover your bum if over 25 and in leggings. Also the leggings need to be reasonably robust - some of them are barely thicker than a pair of 30 denier tights.

Pittcity Mon 12-Aug-19 19:06:33

I've got below knee leggings to wear with above knee dresses, mainly to protect others from my thighs.
The ankle length ones come out for colder weather with thigh length tops.
I like jeggings for comfort with shorter tops.

FlexibleFriend Mon 12-Aug-19 19:00:51

My bum doesn't need covering it's very firm and where it should be. I used to wear leggings to the gym with a crop top when I could walk. The problem is bigger bodies with too much fat tend to wear insubstantial leggings rather than ones that would hold them in. It's not only a problem of size though a skinny saggy butt looks just as bad.

Septimia Mon 12-Aug-19 18:04:40

Fine with tunic tops. Otherwise can look pretty awful - and over-revealing!

tanith Mon 12-Aug-19 18:02:25

I have calf length leggings on today I hate the ankle length ones. I have a long short sleeve shirt on over them I do wear them to the gym with a long t-shirt. But otherwise only when I’m pottering round indoors it’s a bit chilly today otherwise it would be shorts.
Don’t like them on bigger ladies with short t-shirts especially if there is an overhanging tummy. Just look in the mirror please.

arosebyanyothername Mon 12-Aug-19 17:51:48

I’ve grown to like leggings in recent years but always buy decent quality ones and wear tunics or long jumpers to cover my bum.
Pink leggings look horrendous!

Grannyjay Mon 12-Aug-19 17:48:36

When they first came out, the material used was way more substantial but unfortunately profits come before quality. When they realise women/girls will wear them because they are comfortable they just eat and there is no tight waistband to restrict the volume they eat. They look a bit chavvy to me when worn with inappropriate t shirts.

Oldandverygrey Mon 12-Aug-19 17:41:59

That's ok Monica my comment was a bit tongue in cheek!

rockgran Mon 12-Aug-19 17:23:34

I remember the "Max Wall" look from 1990 -it was comfortable but in my opinion not a good look then and even worse now!

EllanVannin Mon 12-Aug-19 17:16:26

Humpty Dumpty springs to mind.

I've never bought/worn leggings but if we have a bad winter I'd buy them for wear under trousers instead of the thinner tights being that I can afford layers with my long thin legs.

dragonfly46 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:13:29

My DD is 41 and wears tight fitness gear most of the time and looks great. It is not the age but the size I think.

M0nica Mon 12-Aug-19 17:08:47

oldandverygrey You can still wear leggings, with a big sweater, long shirt or tunic top, they really are very comfortable, it is the short top, especially if stretched over a less than svelte torso that is less than flattering.

gillybob Mon 12-Aug-19 17:04:19

I wear leggings and long tunic tops . Would never wear them with short tee shirts though .

Gemmag Mon 12-Aug-19 17:02:42

Fine if you’re a size 8/10, and not over 25. They must of course be black/ navy or else you can see what’s ‘down there’.

The little dress is much worse I think especially when it’s blowing a bit and you can see their knickers and their not even bending over. It’s not always a pretty sight?.

Oldandverygrey Mon 12-Aug-19 16:53:56

Well that rules me out on both counts Monica!