Gransnet forums

AIBU

Roll on Autumn!

(34 Posts)
watermeadow Tue 27-Aug-19 18:29:16

No, I’m not being unreasonable in hating late summer.
The grass is dead, the birds are silent, the nettles and brambles are head-high.
The house is full of flies and they lay eggs on the cat’s food if he pauses between mouthfuls. Walk through the countryside and you’ll be stung/bitten/sucked by midges/wasps/horse flies/ ticks.
Despite monthly treatment the dog’s got fleas.
It’s too hot to sleep and my ankles are swollen.
The fresh green and flowers of May are a distant memory and I can’t wait for Autumn.

SalsaQueen Tue 27-Aug-19 18:35:17

I agree with most of that....especially the flies on my cat's dinner grin.

I hate hot weather. It's draining, I get burnt, and it's just altogether uncomfortable.

Sara65 Tue 27-Aug-19 18:46:17

I quite like these last weeks of summer, but I agree about the flies, I love autumn as well, but one thing spoils it for me ?I am terrified!

NanaandGrampy Tue 27-Aug-19 18:46:57

It is hot, but I’ll long for blue skies by December .

Our garden is still full of birds and bird song, luckily Sam never leaves a scrap in his bowl and I have every bug spray known to man - anything that bites me dies!! :-)

But I feel you pain Watermeadow ??

lemongrove Tue 27-Aug-19 19:07:02

Oh dear! ?

jura2 Tue 27-Aug-19 19:10:04

Our best blue skies up here are in winter NanaandG smile

I love all seasons - including snowy cold crispy winters ;)

lemongrove Tue 27-Aug-19 19:11:29

Our lawn is green, plenty of birds around too, and still flowers in the garden.Flies, yes, it’s Summer, buy a bug bat and keep doors closed.
Ankles swollen, yes certainly, put them up whenever you can.
I wait for Summer happily, don’t wish it away.

Tedber Tue 27-Aug-19 19:13:17

Gosh....where do you live watermeadow? Nothing like that where I am...grass still green, flowers still blooming, birds still singing, no flies on cat food, not been bitten on walks out, dog's NOT got fleas bahah. Also lovely and warm, but not too hot to sleep.

I am in N.W though so maybe....we are lucky in some things ha ha ha.

EllanVannin Tue 27-Aug-19 19:47:02

Tedber, I was going to say the NW hahahaha--snap. Same here.

EllanVannin Tue 27-Aug-19 19:48:17

Autumn all year round in the NW !

Chewbacca Tue 27-Aug-19 19:57:11

I'm with you on this watermeadow; I'm utterly miserable and uncomfortable in the summer months. Every flying insect that bites makes straight for me and takes another chunk of my arms/neck/ankles/face. I have so many layers of midge repellant, hats and cover up clothing that I look like Sherpa Tenzing when I go out in the evenings. Can't wait for those cool, clear, bright blue skies of early autumn and a nip in the air that gives me far more energy to get on and get stuff done. Bring it on!

jura2 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:02:30

only one month of the year I'd vote against - November sad
if I could, I would go away every year for dreary November!

MissAdventure Tue 27-Aug-19 20:03:23

Autumn or spring for me.
I do not like this heat at all.

MawB Tue 27-Aug-19 20:15:02

I love Autumn- when we can be sure of the full three months of crisp mornings, and comfortable temperatures - and rediscovering my forgiving woolies.
But too often it seems to slide into November and Winter.
And I do like my white trousers!

SisterAct Tue 27-Aug-19 20:25:33

Proper seasons please. It’s not hot for long don’t wish it away. ???☃️

Ginny42 Tue 27-Aug-19 20:37:36

Please don't wish summer gone, it's only just arrived. Hasn't it been great wearing summer clothes at last? I give those flies due notice that if they continue to annoy me they will surely die. I say this is your last warning now. Stay here and you're dead. The roses have got a second lot of gorgeous blooms. The lemon roses smell of lemons and the honeysuckle against the hot sandstone wall smells of warm honey. There are hazelnuts on the trees in the wood and conkers with their glossy shells are on the ground already, so autumn isn't really that far away. You just have to hang in there. Autumn will arrive when she's good and ready.

Teacheranne Tue 27-Aug-19 21:29:22

I am also from the NW ( near Manchester) and I am still waiting for summer! OK, we've had a few hot days but nothing prolonged and we had almost a month of continuous rain and flooding.

I'd like Autumn to be a long time coming!

M0nica Tue 27-Aug-19 21:43:31

I love autumn, from the first yellowing of leaves, until the trees are leafless. I love the yellow of the Autumn sun - and we have had that since early August!

We are on holiday in Normandy - hot sun, days on the beach, long lazy evenings sitting out, but I long for it all to end, the weather to get colder and to get out my sweaters and coats.

fizzers Tue 27-Aug-19 22:06:35

roll on winter! I detest hot summers

jane1956 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:08:31

we get 10+ months grey stuff and the minute the sun comes out everybody moans really????

jura2 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:12:12

exactly jane - honestly!

We had older friends who had gone to live in Southern Spain as she loved the sun. After 4 years, he got out of the lounge onto the patio, and said 'enough- I want to go back- to seasons, and rain, and snow, and green springs, and ....'. To his surprise, she actually agreed- had wanted to say it for a while, but didn't dare as it was her idea in the first place. I think I'd be the same- love all the seasons (well I didn't much like winter in England- but love it now) - just get rid of November ;)

MissAdventure Wed 28-Aug-19 13:16:49

Its quite normal for people to have different likes and dislikes, you know?

I couldn't care less about the grey months; I don't want to feel I'm being boiled alive for even a day.

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 13:19:55

Well here in the North east we have had about 4 days of summer . They were not all in a row mind you, in case you think we were being spoilt !

Its fine for those who have been basking in wall to wall sunshine for weeks but I AM STILL WAITING FOR A SUMMER SO AUTUMN CAN GO AND SOD OFF !

gillybob Wed 28-Aug-19 13:20:26

and its lashing down again today !

EllanVannin Wed 28-Aug-19 15:12:07

Damp,dreary and I've got a thin jumper on here in the NW.

Asda in between showers and a bloomin' advert for summer holidays 2020. Not a happy bunny at the moment.