Gransnet forums

AIBU

About the BBQ ( trying to be lighthearted )

(29 Posts)
suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 11:38:59

We are staying in a holiday let. There is a BBQ and the owners handbook asks for it to cleaned out after use. Perfectly fair. When we came to use it however the previous occupant s had not cleaned it. DH is now saying that we shouldn’t either and has gone all huffy because I called him petty. AIBU?

BradfordLass72 Sun 17-Nov-19 04:52:11

I've laughed all the way through this thread, loving the minute by minute reports on the BBQ front !! grin

Here in NZ hardly anyone doesn't have at least one BBQ. They are sited in parks and beachsides too - you put a coin in a slot and fire them up.

It IS important to clean them because heat doesn't get to all the parts and you don't want to be ill with old rancid fat consumed from the last person's meal. Yuk, yuk.

There's a whole department in our local hardware shop of scrapers and scrubbers and pikes and stuff. Chemicals which sterilise and disinfect and de-grease.

It's a matter of pride with most blokes to have a pristine BBQ.

The same blokes who can turn out perfect steaks but can't even boil and egg in the kitchen and never wash up their breakfast pots in the morning grin .

Some even go overseas to enter BBQ competitions!

www.nzherald.co.nz/the-country/news/article.cfm?c_id=16&objectid=12064271

Sara65 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:44:47

It’s the worst job ever, and it never seems to get done properly at the end of the season, and when it does, it makes a dreadful mess, involves ruining several scourers, dish cloths, tea towels.

Last year he announces, no more barbecues, reason given, too anti social. Of course I know the real reason, he would have to have cleaned it!

Suziewoozie, I can put myself into your situation completely, I would just carry on as normal and ignore his banging about.

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:26:24

Well isn`t he the saintly one.hahaha.
I bet the next holiday let he books won`t have a bbq.

Gonegirl Wed 28-Aug-19 14:39:00

On our last holiday the owners said, don't clean the BBQ, we will clean it outside!

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 13:30:09

Yes Gaunt and I think he’s enjoying feeling virtuous now

Gaunt47 Wed 28-Aug-19 13:11:06

Suzie, hang on, are you saying he took only 35 minutes to clean that BBQ? The man's a treasure!

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Aug-19 13:05:34

Only slight grumpiness, Suzie? It’d be a blessed relief round here today! grin

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:39:25

Having said that, unless it’s really grotty the heat will clean it up and sterilize it for you without washing! ???

lemongrove Wed 28-Aug-19 12:38:15

That isn’t suggestive Beckett just a good eco idea.?
For suggestive ideas you should visit The Argy Bargy Bar, we would welcome you. ?

Suzie I would have let the owners of the let know, they should have checked the bbq was very clean for you.

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 12:32:41

Only if some prudish GNer reports you, you little minx

Beckett Wed 28-Aug-19 12:28:18

I hope my previous remark doesn't cause this thread to be deleted for being a bit suggestive grin

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 12:07:50

Just PM me your address. Can you cope with slight grumpiness however Maggie?

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Aug-19 12:06:11

I don’t think our barbecue was cleaned properly last time we used it (about 2 years ago). Could you ask your DH to pop round before he has his shower, suzie? grin

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 12:05:39

??

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 12:03:55

He is now cleaning the kitchen floor as dirty water from cleaning the BBQ spilled on it ( probably because he was splashing so furiously) I’m clearly in serious trouble - no amount of joint showering will,put that right I fear. Well it’s after noon so I’m getting the wine out

Davida1968 Wed 28-Aug-19 12:02:18

I'd leave it. (This has happened to us on more that one holiday let; never a problem because we can't be bothered to use a barbecue.)

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 12:01:28

Beckett ??

Beckett Wed 28-Aug-19 11:58:07

After all his hard work perhaps you could join him in the shower wink

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 11:56:29

Any minute now he will at least change his top or go for a shower

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 11:55:16

I am pretending to be engaging with a serious discussion on prorogation

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 11:54:08

He is now practically polishing it within an inch of its life - oh my?

Smileless2012 Wed 28-Aug-19 11:53:26

I agree suzie 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you'. I would let the letting agent know it wasn't clean when you arrived and suggest they check in the future.

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 11:52:19

Oh heavens - more banging from the kitchen. I’m going to regret this?

suziewoozie Wed 28-Aug-19 11:51:25

Well he’s now cleaning it with a great deal of banging, clattering and harrumphing. I agree the cleaner should have checked but didn’t want the next people to be faced with it. Yes I know that’s a bit soft of me.

Maybelle Wed 28-Aug-19 11:49:09

Same her, I would clean if I wanted to use it, but if not wanting to use it I would let the owners know it was not left clean for us.