Gransnet forums

AIBU

£126 Million, we can dream.

(80 Posts)
mokryna Thu 05-Sep-19 08:20:59

What would you suggest on how to spend/share it with family/friends or others.

Beckett Sat 14-Sep-19 10:24:19

I know exactly what I would do - provide something which has been needed in my city for a long time. I would buy a large building in the centre of town, equip it with showers, toilets and a kitchen and open it up to all the homeless in the city who have nowhere to go during the day. Those lucky enough to find a bed in a hostel for the night have to be out by 7.30 a.m. and cannot return until 9.30 p.m.

I would also buy a second building and bring it up to the health and safety standard to provide as many beds as possible for the homeless. I would employ ex-service personnel to run them who seem to have been let down by all governments once they leave the services.

If there was anything left over I would help nephews and nieces with their mortgages and then take a round the world cruise!

rosemarigold Wed 18-Sep-19 05:22:53

Re love beige cardigans....that's intriguing - so do I but other people....not so much!

Granarchist Wed 18-Sep-19 08:55:45

I read an article about the lottery once that said the vast majority of big time winners thought of helping friends and family and charities as their first priority - heartwarming that their own needs and desires come second to that of others

DoraMarr Wed 18-Sep-19 09:16:52

Oh dear, I must be very selfish, my first thought was that I would be able to travel anywhere first class with a brand new suitcase full of gorgeous clothes! I read about a study that said that people who win large amounts are happier if they change their lives just a bit- from a semi to a bigger house, say, in their familiar neighbourhood. I know someone who won millions, and they did just this: making their lives and the lives of their immediate family more comfortable, but not taking them away from familiar schools, friendship groups and activities. Fifteen years on the family is close, they have interesting but not overly expensive holidays, the children have done well and have jobs they enjoy, and they all have good nest- eggs for later life.